Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2008-09-07 05:15:39

yuriythebest

program that solves stuff step-by-step

right, I am searching for a program that will solve stuff like trigenometric equations, operations with matrices, limits, logs and finding f(x)' in a step-by-step fashion so I can compare it with my own solutions and see where I go wrong. Does a program like this even exist?
Edit/Delete Message

#2 2008-09-07 05:40:43

Ricky

Re: program that solves stuff step-by-step

I know they do for integration, not certain what else.  But you can check your work without a program... just grab a friend or a teacher or heck, even us.

Typically, students want those programs not to learn, but to get the answer on a homework.  When it comes time for an exam or quiz, they fail miserably.

"In the real world, this would be a problem.  But in mathematics, we can just define a place where this problem doesn't exist.  So we'll go ahead and do that now..."

#3 2008-09-07 06:18:41

yuriythebest

Ricky wrote:

I know they do for integration, not certain what else.  But you can check your work without a program... just grab a friend or a teacher or heck, even us.

Typically, students want those programs not to learn, but to get the answer on a homework.  When it comes time for an exam or quiz, they fail miserably.

right, but the problem is that if I do indeed try to just solve stuff of egven minor complexity I will have error upon error, and end up with many pages of equations whose logic is about as dense as guatamalan  gue. Is it really ok in this forum to just scan many pages and go "here- please correct this!"?  (of course phrased more nicely smile  )  Plus even in the best case scenario of omeone correcting me I still will have to wait hours if not more to see the correct way.

#4 2008-09-07 07:21:48

Ricky

Are you saying you're having trouble on every single problem you try?  Start with just one, and then we'll go from there.

Plus even in the best case scenario of omeone correcting me I still will have to wait hours if not more to see the correct way.

compiling.png

Just because you have to wait for a response doesn't mean you sit there twiddling your thumbs.  Try working on another problem or do some chores, or heck, even have a little fun doing something else.

"In the real world, this would be a problem.  But in mathematics, we can just define a place where this problem doesn't exist.  So we'll go ahead and do that now..."

#5 2008-09-07 12:15:05

yuriythebest

I "acquired" a nice book "calculus workbook for dummies" - atm going through it smile

#6 2008-09-07 12:17:45

mikau

man, i love compiling time..

A logarithm is just a misspelled algorithm.

#7 2008-09-07 20:52:04

gnitsuk

I can thoroughly recommend Mathematica - it is truly exellent - http://www.wolfram.com/

#8 2008-09-07 23:32:32

mikau

hahaha, there are two guys i can think of at my school that only passed math 171 and 271 (calc II and III) because they had a fancy calculator. I said it looks like the number associated with the course (171, 271) corresponds to the cost (in dollars) of the calculator they need to pass the course. lol

So I guess it does enable you to pass in some exams or quizzes, but... definitely you're setting yourself up for failure in the very near future. (probably in the next subsequent course)

A logarithm is just a misspelled algorithm.

Board footer