Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2008-09-03 01:01:27

adurr25

Help with teaching my husband Math from scratch

Hi I love this site and am new to this site. My husband will be taking a "Basic Math test" in about a week. This will be for a new job he is trying for and he doesn't know his math. What I mean to say is he was never taught the basics in school.We have about a week to help him and this test has 3 sections, adding substracting on the 1st part and the 2nd part is multiplication & division. The 3rd part is fractions. He is lost with that part. He took it once and he froze up. They want him for this job but he has to pass this math test first. They told him he only needs a 20% on the test. Two months ago he didn't even know his times tables but knows them know. Is there any practice
Basic Math tests out there I could get on line? I am not a teacher but I am doing the best I can do.
     When he was in third grade his teacher took him out of the class and put him into another class for 3 years. All he learned in that class was how to finger paint. He lost his math his english and everything.He was pushed all the way to 12 th grade. There are so many of these stories I know out there like this. He is not the only one. I told him to forgot about that and just think about learning. I told him that it will start clicking soon.   He owns his own auto repair business and makes a good living at it but it's just getting too much for him.     
      I have always wanted him to learn this stuff but now we are shoving all this into one month. It's hard to explain math to someone in a couple weeks. We are going on vacation this weekend and we will have all week to work on this. If anyone out there can advise me a better way to teach him please tell me. He so wants to learn now and I don't want to let him down.
Please Please if anyone can help please us write back. Thank you so much for this site.
adurr25

#2 2008-09-03 02:39:39

mathceleb

Re: Help with teaching my husband Math from scratch

If your husband needs to check his answers as well as see line by line homework problems, feel free to direct him to my basic math page:

Basic Math

It contains addition, subtraction, 2 x 2 multiplication, long division, fractions, proportions, etc.

In addition, if he wants randomly generate problems for basic math, he can use my problem generator located here:

Teacher's Corner Random Problem Generators

If he wants random problems generated for fractions and other subjects, I would be happy to build that on my site for him.  The long division lesson has a random problem generator built already.

It would not take me too long to build it for other lessons as well.

As far as other sites that would help his cause, Math.com is a good place to start.  That would be good for him to read up on basic math and the principals.  My site would be more useful for checking homework and seeing the actual guts of the math behind the answer.

Let me know if I can be of more assistance.

Last edited by mathceleb (2008-09-03 02:44:26)

#3 2008-09-03 03:12:36

mathceleb

I've added a random problem generator to the Fraction lesson just now.  If you don't see the button, please refresh your Internet browser.  That will generate 2 completely random fractions for him if he runs out of problems from the book to do.

The numerator will never be greater than 10 and the same with the denominator for the randomly generated fractions.

Last edited by mathceleb (2008-09-03 03:57:52)

#4 2008-09-03 04:00:10

adurr25

Thanks so much for you help. I think this will help him because he keeps asking me why do I do it this way? I can't explain the reason to him but you explain it so well. I thought I knew my
math pretty good until he staerted asking me questions then I had to go back and brush up and then help him. Do you know where I could find a sample basic math test? that would really be helpful. thanks again for all your help.
Adurr25

#5 2008-09-03 04:08:28

mathceleb

adurr25 wrote:

Do you know where I could find a sample basic math test? that would really be helpful. thanks again for all your help.
Adurr25

Basic Math Quizzes

They have some basic quizzes there.  Start there and see what you think.

I'll be checking back periodically, so if your husband needs items on my site built to help him, let me know.

I'll be working on more random generators later today on the basic math page as well.

Last edited by mathceleb (2008-09-03 04:11:01)

#6 2008-09-07 18:14:17

mathceleb

adurr,

A friend of mine is taking an exam similar to what you mention.  One of the things he had to study was factor pairs and prime factorization.

I built a lesson here if you need it:

Factor Pairs and Prime Factorization

Last edited by mathceleb (2008-09-07 18:14:39)

Board footer