Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2008-07-27 22:27:54

yonski

Complex Number question

Hi,
i'm trying to find the equation of the locus of z where

I wrote z=x+iy in which case we have

I'm ommiting my working obviously, but i've checked it and i think it's correct. This means that

which is the equation of a circle. This seems correct, but I think the locus is only part of the circle not the whole thing. How would you guys go about tackling this problem?

Many thanks!

Last edited by yonski (2008-07-27 22:32:21)

Student: "What's a corollary?"
Lecturer: "What's a corollary? It's like when a theorem has a child. And names it corollary."

#2 2008-08-02 10:52:32

Rohan.A

Re: Complex Number question

well obviously it will happen when you calculate locus
Cos locus is basically a algebraic equation which is inteprated in geometric terms by you
So you need to figure it out on the Argand Plane which arc you want
The minor arc is the answer I think so it is to be asked in a question objectively about the major arc otherwise you need not mention anything if it's just an equation or if you're so very much into describing it. write it as the minor arc of the circle( described above) passing through the given points

Draw the diagram (which's simple here) you can easily make a rule to decide between major and minor arcs in such a locus problem

Cheers

Board footer