Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2008-07-18 01:23:14

Anthony Babbage
Banned

Is it Possible to Circle a Square? Which is the Hardest Calculation?

Is it Possible to Circle a Square?

We can Square a Circle...can we Circle a Square? and which is the Hardest Calculation?

A.B

#2 2008-07-18 04:35:16

Ricky

Re: Is it Possible to Circle a Square? Which is the Hardest Calculation?

Well, the classic question was to square a circle with a compass and straightedge.  And in that context, no, it is impossible to square a circle.

"In the real world, this would be a problem.  But in mathematics, we can just define a place where this problem doesn't exist.  So we'll go ahead and do that now..."

#3 2008-08-07 01:41:12

Math Genius MT
Banned

Whats this about..can anyone do it..

#4 2008-08-07 05:38:25

Ricky

Another ARB sockpuppet...

"In the real world, this would be a problem.  But in mathematics, we can just define a place where this problem doesn't exist.  So we'll go ahead and do that now..."

#5 2008-12-20 08:58:13

White_Wolf

How do you know it is him?

Lobo - 'Wild animals I have known'- A book by Ernest Thompson Seton. A true life story, best book.
[align=center] Lobo - King of Currumpaw [/align]
Link

#6 2008-12-20 09:23:27

Ricky

Moderators can look up IP addresses.

#7 2008-12-20 09:29:15

White_Wolf

You can? They must be all the same then, just for the record, I use my GFs daughters old Email.

Lobo - 'Wild animals I have known'- A book by Ernest Thompson Seton. A true life story, best book.
Link

#8 2008-12-20 13:37:20

careless25
Real Member

White_wolf an IP address in not an email address. So using ur GFs email wont help when they ban you.
When an IP is banned, that is a number provided by your modem/router that modem/router cannot access this site...atleast that how i think it works.
And there are ways you can get around the ban and i think ARB is using those methods.

#9 2008-12-20 23:22:05

lightning
Real Member

whats an IP adress?

Zappzter - New IM app! Unsure of which room to join? "ZNU" is made to help new users. c:

#10 2008-12-21 01:11:59

JohnnyReinB

it's a series of digits assigned to your computer by a network. It's like the ID of your computer in the internet.

"There is not a difference between an in-law and an outlaw, except maybe that an outlaw is wanted" wink

Nisi Quam Primum, Nequequam

#11 2008-12-21 01:44:35

White_Wolf

careless25 wrote:

So using ur GFs email wont help when they ban you.

Am I getting banned?

Link

#12 2008-12-21 04:49:52

careless25
Real Member

NO i meant if they were going to ban you, i just used u as an example.

#13 2008-12-21 05:48:36

lightning
Real Member

how many - as Ricky calls them - sock pupets are there, or he has made?

Zappzter - New IM app! Unsure of which room to join? "ZNU" is made to help new users. c:

#14 2008-12-21 13:27:01

Ricky

lightning wrote:

how many - as Ricky calls them - sock pupets are there, or he has made?

More than I'd like to count.  At least 4.

it's a series of digits assigned to your computer by a network. It's like the ID of your computer in the internet.

Just to clear up confusion, an IP address is assigned by your internet provider.  You can not change it through normal means, although there are both basic and advanced techniques for faking/changing your IP address.

#15 2008-12-21 22:17:24

lightning
Real Member

do you mean like google or sky.com as your home page?

#16 2008-12-22 13:03:17

careless25
Real Member

home page and faking/changing IP is totally different.
A home page is a page that your browser is always going to open to but IP will not change that, it will chnade ur *comp address*(my way of understanding it because each digit gives a certain location in the world, kind of like longitude and latitude)

#17 2008-12-22 13:10:47

glenn101

Yes your right careless, that is how the IP addresses are calculated.
They all have different numbers, some differentiate between countries etc.
I think because too many computers have been added to the internet they also included something known as a default gateway it is used when the IP adress does not belong to any other entities.

"If your going through hell, keep going."

#18 2008-12-22 16:34:05

careless25
Real Member

But it also depends on your internet provider, if they assigned you a dynamic or a static IP.

Thats how some pop ups and ads find out locations near where you live.

I just remembered something very important with pop-ups:

Now a days hackers have gone to such limits to even infect the 'X"(close) button of your browsers, so i recommend either pressing Alt + F4 or opening up Task Manager and clicking End Task. (the latter will close the whole browser.)

#19 2008-12-22 17:37:59

glenn101

Really Careless!? they have gone that far!!
I couldn't agree more with using ALT+F4 to avoid that then, thanks for informing everyone.up

"If your going through hell, keep going."

#20 2008-12-22 18:57:32

Ricky

Now a days hackers have gone to such limits to even infect the 'X"(close) button of your browsers, so i recommend either pressing Alt + F4 or opening up Task Manager and clicking End Task. (the latter will close the whole browser.)

I don't believe this is correct.  "Infecting" the close button would amount to malicious code being able to infiltrate and modify the browser code.  If this is possible, then the malware would already have full access to your system.  As such, there would be no reason to infect such a thing.

What is possible is for a program to execute commands "on exit".  This is a specific event that allows programs to preform cleanup of temporary resources.  However, this program must be already running on your computer.  If such a program is on your computer, then your computer is already infected.  It may be that such an action will cause your computer to become more infected, but if the program is already running then it probably is anyways.

Furthermore, Alt-F4 executes the same windows event as pressing the close button.  From a coding standpoint, there is no difference (unless the code interrupts keypresses, in which case you'd be worse off pressing Alt-F4).  Forcing a program to exit from the task manager will first issue the same exact event, and in a short period of time issue a different event in which Windows forcibly closes the program.

A lot of trojans act by downloading more malicious code without the user's knowledge.  But again, there is no reason for a trojan to wait until it is closed to do so, rather it would be doing it in the background the entire time it's running.

One of the best ways malicious code works is by the spread of disinformation by uninformed users.  Please be responsible and not to state anything unless you have some background with the subject.  Of course make suggestions and ask plenty of questions, but always make sure when you do so that the tone is that of being "unsure".   For example, start off with "I've heard that viruses can infect the close button on your browser, is this true?"

#21 2008-12-23 05:42:21

careless25
Real Member

Yes i understand what you are saying Ricky, but i have read from many sources that it initiates a downlaod if you click on the 'X'.
I had not meant to disinform users and after reading your info i just realized i had disinformed.
I am sorry for disinforming other users.

Here is a few sites i have read this on about pop ups:

http://cnettv.cnet.com/8301-13415_53-9936211-11.html

http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=32872 <-- i am a member of this site and i do trust them as they have helped me clean my system of malware.

#22 2008-12-23 05:54:18

White_Wolf

Good sites, I will use that Alt + F4 thing in the future. Is there anything else lyik that without using the 'F' buttons but not the ones mentioned in the forum?

Link

#23 2008-12-23 11:04:47

Ricky

From the link:

To avoid accidentally infecting your computer, some security experts recommend that you click on the "X" in the upper righthand corner of the pop-up window rather than using the buttons within the pop-up. However, some of the more malicious pop-ups may even have disguised a malware download to mimic that "X", and again you might actually be initiating a download rather than closing the pop-up ad.

This is not "infecting" the 'X' button.  It is creating a 2nd close button within the window; i.e. running on javascript code rather than native browser code.  Any decent browser should tell you that you're downloading something, and you should always have this message box enabled.  In the event you accidentally download something you didn't mean to, you will still have to choose to execute it to infect your system.

You will be just as safe as long as you make sure you click the browser 'X', and nothing inside the popup add.  I still believe it is overly paranoid to close popups from the task manager.

#24 2008-12-24 02:10:12

careless25
Real Member

Yes i read it again and i saw where i was wrong, so once again sorry for the disinformation.

#25 2008-12-24 06:05:36

careless25
Real Member

White Wolf
the only thing i can think of is right click and close or for Internet Explorer Ctrl + W works, (Ctrl + W also works for Microsoft Office)

Board footer