Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2008-07-15 20:24:54

miche

Hi - Discrete Math student here...

Hi all,

I'm not especially fantastic at math, but I'm also not especially a poor math student either. I usually make B's, and my favorite math subjects were Geometry and Trig. I took calculus II (B) and astronomy with calculus (A) and physics with calculus (B), I'm decent in math... or I'd like to think so.

However, I'm taking a Discrete math course this summer, and the only thing that I've succeeded at doing in this class is making myself feel terrible. I've continually lost confidence in my math skills and that's only eroding my general confidence, and I've no one to turn to.

My professor's method of teaching is not at all conducive to the way I learn; he rarely answers questions, never goes over homework or quizzes until after the exam, and on top of that, he singles out students (sometimes in pairs) and asks them questions to do at the board. I find this highly intimidating and embarrassing.

Many of the students in my class have done this course in the past and are trying to improve their grades. I've not had this course before, so this is all new to me.  I study for literally 5+ hours a day nearly every day, up to 10 hour before a quiz and more for an exam, and I am only borderline passing. He gives no partial credit and there's no curve. My book does not have enough examples with answers, so I never know if I'm doing anything correctly. There are no summer tutors at campus.

I'm sorry for the sob story, and I'm sure it's not that interesting... The reason why I said all of this is partially because I want to give you a background about my math experience, but it's also because, well, I have no one else to talk to who even knows what Discrete math is.

Thanks for reading this,
-Miche

#2 2008-07-15 21:04:16

mathsyperson

Re: Hi - Discrete Math student here...

Welcome to the forum, Miche!
Discrete maths was easily my favourite module when I did it a few years ago.
It's fun because you get to pretend you're a robot. big_smile

Or at least, the course I did was fun. There might be differences.

Anyway, you're more than welcome to post questions in the Help Me section, and one of these nice folk will most likely help you out. smile

Why did the vector cross the road?
It wanted to be normal.

#3 2008-07-17 10:57:40

John E. Franklin

Start asking us questions please, I like discrete math, but don't know all of it.
But I can verify lots of boolean equations for accuracy by using a technique I
learned to make little electronic circuits that "think" sort of with 1's and 0's.
Welcome here and glad you found us.

igloo myrtilles fourmis

#4 2008-07-20 18:35:54

miche

Thanks John E Franklin and mathsyperson. smile
I posted in the Help Me section, so we'll see how it goes.
So far I feel even more confused. Pretty much I'm going to decide by Wednesday whether I will give up. I have never had so much difficulty with a class... calc 2, fine, chemistry 2, fine, astronomy with calc, fine. This class? Killing me. Sigh.

Board footer