Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2008-06-02 16:18:46

djbip

Excel Help

does anyone how can I graph a linear regression equation and a non-linear regression in excel. I know it's possible, i just don't know how to do it. I also want the equation the show on my graph?

Can anyone please help me?

And also, I'm not sure about this one, but is it possible to find the interquartile range using excel??

Thank You!

#2 2008-06-02 22:59:29

mathsyperson

Re: Excel Help

Enter your data in two columns of the spreadsheet, then highlight the data, click the graph icon and choose "XY (Scatter)".

Then go through all the other stuff until you get your graph. (I prefer putting graphs on new pages rather than part of the current one, but I don't think it matters.)

Then go to the chart page (or click on the chart if it's part of the current page), then go to "Chart" up at the top. Then "Add Trendline", and you'll be given a choice of different kinds of regression to use, one of which is linear.

As for finding inter-quartile ranges, I don't think Excel has an explicitly coded way of doing that. You could certainly use it to help you find it though. For example, it can quickly put a list of numbers in numerical order for you.

Why did the vector cross the road?
It wanted to be normal.

#3 2008-07-23 15:00:15

DavidB

Re: Excel Help

Just in case this question comes up in the future, the following link might be useful, on Microsoft's support site:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/103839

Regards,

David

Board footer