Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2008-05-28 10:45:12

Chilli the Cow

Air Pressure is awesome!

The other day, we did an AWESOME activity in math class. We played around with suction cups!

My math teacher wanted to teach us about air pressure, so he brought in some suction cups and we did some things with them. We all tried to pull them apart, and I pulled so hard I fell out of my chair, really! Then we got to hang off the doorframe with suction cups. I lasted a while, and I only came down because my fingers started to hurt. We also saw some cool tricks: if you put something flat and laminated on top of a glass of water, it sticks and you can hold it upside down without it gushing out.

My teacher also put some toilet paper rolls on a fan and put a baloon on top of the rolls. The air from the fan held it up - it was floating in midair! Then he gave us a straw and a pingpong ball, and we held up the ball by blowing through the straw. It was fun!

Best of all, it turns out that for the rest of the school year we'll be building rockets in math class! YAY! big_smile

Cow logic: Moo = MC²

#2 2008-05-28 11:17:08

MathsIsFun
Administrator

Re: Air Pressure is awesome!

You have a truly wonderful teacher!

"The physicists defer only to mathematicians, and the mathematicians defer only to God ..."  - Leon M. Lederman

#3 2008-05-28 11:25:28

Chilli the Cow

Re: Air Pressure is awesome!

I know, he is wonderful! I'm glad to have him.

Cow logic: Moo = MC²

Board footer