Math Is Fun Forum
  Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#12851 2014-01-10 07:36:14

zetafunc.

Re: Linear Interpolation FP1 Formula

But what do I say?

#12852 2014-01-10 07:40:28

bobbym
Administrator

How about do you want to go here or study together or eat somewhere.

In mathematics, you don't understand things. You just get used to them.

I agree with you regarding the satisfaction and importance of actually computing some numbers. I can't tell you how often I see time and money wasted because someone didn't bother to run the numbers.

#12853 2014-01-10 07:45:10

zetafunc.

Hmm... I have an idea. I'm making falafel tomorrow. Maybe I can ask her if she'd like to try one... but I've never made it before so I don't know if it will be good. If it tastes bad she might not want to try my food again.

#12854 2014-01-10 07:48:03

bobbym
Administrator

When you travel to the future like that does it require a spaceship or is it some mental technique?

I agree with you regarding the satisfaction and importance of actually computing some numbers. I can't tell you how often I see time and money wasted because someone didn't bother to run the numbers.

#12855 2014-01-10 07:57:21

zetafunc.

Well, if I tasted bad food from a restaurant I'd be less inclined to go there again...

#12856 2014-01-10 08:07:29

bobbym
Administrator

That is true but how do you know yours will taste bad unless you are capable of seeing the future? Could it not taste good? Perhaps she would like it even if you think it tastes bad. You both could like it and you both could hate it. She might agree it is bad and offer to help you next time or...

My point is, there are zillions of possibilities for what might happen tomorrow. Why zero in on that one? What is the worst that could happen? Let's see:

1) She loves it and decides to marry you and then you find out she is a zombie and she tries to eat you.

2) She hates it, takes it as a personal insult and tries to kill you with a chainsaw.

3) She tells you that she is a secret agent in disguise and now that you know she has to kill you.

Those are pretty bad ones. Anything else you can deal with easily.

#12857 2014-01-11 10:08:14

zetafunc.

Okay, I didn't make falafel. Instead, I made homemade meatballs, with a quick tomato sauce. I had made 28, and thought, wow, this is too much, maybe I should put it back in the fridge. But then suddenly I realised, this is the perfect excuse to ask her to eat with me!

So I finished the meatballs and knocked on her door, told her I had made too many meatballs and asked her if she had eaten yet. She said no, so I asked if she'd like to eat them. She said she'd be out in a second -- so I went into the kitchen and she came and sat next to me and ate with me. I was kind of worried that she wouldn't like them, but she said it was good, and finished the bowl. She asked them if I made them myself, to which I replied that I did -- and she was very impressed. She thought it was really cool that I could cook such lovely meals. We literally stayed in the kitchen for over 4 hours just talking about stuff, I didn't realise how late it was.

Unfortunately I forgot to ask her name. I'm not sure if I should though because she might feel insulted that I don't know it yet. But I did learn that she really can't cook anything (not even boiling pasta) -- which might not be good for her, but it certainly is good for me, because it means I can ask her to eat with me many more times, haha.

#12858 2014-01-11 13:36:35

bobbym
Administrator

Very good! Do not be astonished, the modern gal can not cook.
You can ask her name the next time you see her, she knows she has not told you what it is.

You did very well.

#12859 2014-01-11 14:52:18

zetafunc.

She did say she likes baking, though. Surely if one can bake, they can make a handful of simple meals...

She told me her name, but unfortunately I forgot. I found it hard to remember because her name is Chinese.

I think I did OK. Upon reflection I may not have picked up on some cues. I've got to break the touch barrier at some point.

#12860 2014-01-11 14:59:46

bobbym
Administrator

Say you forgot and ask her again, or be clever and ask her for the correct pronunciation of her name!

Yes, they all say they can bake but who wants to eat cake everyday?

Have you tried some spaghetti with your meatballs?

If you spend a lot of time together there will be many opportunities for contact. Sometimes it will happen by accident.

#12861 2014-01-11 15:05:02

zetafunc.

That's a really clever idea... I'll definitely ask her that next time.

I prefer to eat them with miniature fusilli mixed with cheese -- combined with meatballs, and homemade tomato sauce, is nice. Weird thing is, I gave her a bowl of meatballs, but when I asked her if she wanted some pasta with it she declined. Yet, she finished all the meatballs, so maybe she liked them...

I guess the only bad thing is that, due to her never cooking, there's no reason for her to come in the kitchen. I have seen her the least out of all my flatmates this week, actually.

#12862 2014-01-11 15:08:10

bobbym
Administrator

Maybe she would like to learn.  Start boning up on your recipes so you can teach her.

Speaking of food, I have to go cook. See you later.

#12863 2014-01-11 15:10:32

zetafunc.

She said she doesn't want to learn... or something along those lines. The only thing in her cupboard is one singular bag of pasta, and in her fridge a can of soda.

Okay, see you later.

#12864 2014-01-11 21:23:15

bobbym
Administrator

Typical. You will have to do the cooking then.

#12865 2014-01-11 23:14:05

zetafunc.

But won't my other flatmates find it weird if I'm offering her food but nobody else?

#12866 2014-01-11 23:18:20

bobbym
Administrator

I think they will understand if they are all guys.

#12867 2014-01-12 00:11:02

zetafunc.

Maybe. At the moment we have 4 guys and 1 girl. 1 room is vacant, so we're waiting to see who the mystery person will be...

#12868 2014-01-12 00:12:11

bobbym
Administrator

A girl that is not her?

#12869 2014-01-12 00:13:16

zetafunc.

The 1 girl is her. But my other flatmate hopes we get another girl, because it's almost always unbalanced here (5 guys to 1 girl is the norm).

#12870 2014-01-12 00:13:58

bobbym
Administrator

5 guys and you are the only one who has approached her?

#12871 2014-01-12 00:23:56

zetafunc.

I was the first guy she met in the flat. She met another guy yesterday, but I think he has a GF. There is another guy who has not come back yet. Then there is one more guy from China, whose English is pretty bad and he is pretty shy (probably due to the language barrier). She would probably start being approached more if she got out of her room more.

She's also 2 years older than me (like everyone else in the flat) but that hasn't appeared to be an issue so far...

#12872 2014-01-12 00:25:32

bobbym
Administrator

She stays in her room a lot? What does she do in there?

#12873 2014-01-12 00:30:24

zetafunc.

She tells me she doesn't have any hobbies. She just stays in her room on the internet, on Facebook, YouTube, that sort of thing. She has been on some tours of London this week though. I can barely hear her, apart from when she's on the phone with her parents.

#12874 2014-01-12 00:33:36

bobbym
Administrator

Then it will be easy to just go next door and talk to her.

#12875 2014-01-12 01:01:56

zetafunc.

I guess. I haven't been inside her room yet, that is my next goal...

Board footer