Math Is Fun Forum
  Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ π -

Login

Username

Password

Not registered yet?

#12701 2013-12-12 10:34:20

zetafunc.

Re: Linear Interpolation FP1 Formula

It's possible that she may not have been offering those opportunities. I mean, I felt that they were there, but I was too afraid to try to take them, partially because she kept telling me over e-mail about how she's faithful/loyal to her BF.

Now though, there's nothing obstructing the two of us. So it may prove to me an interesting encounter.

#12702 2013-12-12 10:43:06

bobbym
Administrator

but I was too afraid to try to take them, partially because she kept telling me over e-mail about how she's faithful/loyal to her BF.

Never pay attention to what they say. They say one thing and do another. You had some good spots there and passed them up. This is normal, we get confused over their mixed signals. Also, that bf thousands of miles away was a dream come true.

In mathematics, you don't understand things. You just get used to them.
I have the result, but I do not yet know how to get it.
All physicists, and a good many quite respectable mathematicians are contemptuous about proof.

#12703 2013-12-14 04:25:48

zetafunc.

I agree. But recently, I have been having second thoughts about going to visit her. I feel as though I am being manipulated again.

#12704 2013-12-14 04:30:19

bobbym
Administrator

You can only be manipulated in 2 ways.

All physicists, and a good many quite respectable mathematicians are contemptuous about proof.

#12705 2013-12-14 04:31:29

zetafunc.

What do you mean?

#12706 2013-12-14 04:33:43

bobbym
Administrator

1) The severest form, someone holds a gun to your head. Very effective.

2) They do not hold a gun to your head. Very ineffective.

You can only be manipulated if you allow it. What would homework guy do in this spot?

#12707 2013-12-14 11:15:16

zetafunc.

He would probably find some way to sleep with her and ignore the manipulation. But I can't do that.

I'm not sure why, I've just been reading through some of the past e-mails I exchanged with adriana almost a year ago. The more I read the less I want to meet up with her. Maybe I should cut contact with her again.

#12708 2013-12-14 11:22:42

bobbym
Administrator

Why can you not go and have a good time and avoid the manipulation if it is there? You do not even no what she has in mind yet so why worry or make a decision based on no facts?

#12709 2013-12-14 11:33:31

zetafunc.

But I have facts based on my previous conversations with her. My gut feeling is saying that this is a bad idea and that she will hurt me, regardless of how detached I try to be.

#12710 2013-12-14 11:34:20

bobbym
Administrator

Hurt you? Physically you mean? Is she armed and dangerous?

#12711 2013-12-14 11:36:37

zetafunc.

No, I mean emotionally. Like, I try to kiss her, and then she rejects me or slaps me and tells me the whole story about how she only likes girls and so on. Which may put me off of dating women for at least a year.

#12712 2013-12-14 11:42:54

bobbym
Administrator

That is your reaction to her babble. Do you know how many gals tried that with HG? All of them! It did not stop him. I am not saying you should be totally like him but a little bit of him is in every guy and they appreciate it.

Why should that put you off for a year?

rejects me or slaps me

Rejection is a joke, they change their minds. Haven't you heard the old cliche, "yes means yes, maybe means yes and definitely no means maybe!"

If you have ever been punched by a guy then you can appreciate their slaps as signs of affection.

Every guy has to put up with rejection and unless you a bear you will not get slapped. If you do, then apologize and mean it. But do not get tied up in knots over it.

#12713 2013-12-17 08:06:30

zetafunc.

Met up with her today. Don't think there was any point in going. We watched a movie, talked through most of it, and I left when it got dark. I didn't touch her once, and I learned that she broke up with her BF and is now sleeping with another guy in her halls regularly. I was too shy to get close to her or even eat. Made me feel like math and I don't think I'll be seeing her again. Would have stayed longer but I felt too pathetic/helpless to do so. Feel as though I have taken a step backwards. I don't even know if there is any point of meeting up with any woman. I'm just too shy to ever be close with one. I was hoping to get somewhere as a young adult, but I'll be 19 in a few weeks, and that's looking nigh impossible now. I haven't made any improvement at all.

#12714 2013-12-17 08:08:21

zetafunc.

Oh, and my cousin got stabbed yesterday, as if my Christmas holidays couldn't get more depressing. Sigh.

#12715 2013-12-17 11:53:55

bobbym
Administrator

Sorry, about your cousin. Let me know how he is doing.

Of course she is with someone else, probably several of them. You knew that already but you did pursue her again. The girl's past or present really do not concern you. Nor should you even find out information like that.  When they start to talk about someone else change the subject. Let her know when she is with you, she is with you. If she continues then is the time to exit.

What you still have not done is ask her the question, "Well, if you have all these superguys, what are you doing with me right now? It is a good question, one that is difficult to lie about.

If you decide not to see her anymore then stick to that decision and move on. If you decide that you have a realistic chance of having her as your friend then pursue it and stick to it regardless of any setbacks.

Would have stayed longer but I felt too pathetic/helpless to do so.

Why should you feel that way? She was describing what type of person she thinks she is. It was most likely advertising.

I don't even know if there is any point of meeting up with any woman.

You can not judge everybody by her, good or bad. People are different. The point, well I never figured that out myself so I can not say anything. You did not remain detached therefore you did not have a good time.

At any rate, it was not so bad.

#12716 2013-12-17 20:51:21

zetafunc.

Not long ago somebody smashed him over the head with a bottle and knocked him out. Now, he has been stabbed. I fear that, with these 'friends' he hangs out with, they'll probably kill him next. He is two years younger than me, drinks a lot, hangs out with a lot of gangsters. He doesn't deserve that stuff to happen to him, he's a good kid deep down, but his parents don't care about him. He's been stitched up at least but he is refusing to tell us what happened. Claims he was mugged but his story doesn't seem probable.

I just didn't know what to say when she told me that. It made me feel a bit sick. I just kept telling her I needed to use the bathroom, just so I could calm myself down again. I don't know why she is with me, she keeps telling me that we are 'friends', but I don't know about that. I was doing really well with not contacting her -- I didn't speak to her for around 4 months. But at uni I just keep getting rejected, so I went to someone who would at least talk to me.

I felt helpless because I came there to have a good time, to get closer to her and possibly be intimate with her -- and I could not accomplish any of those things. You were right -- I should not have been so naive to think that she's not a party girl. I found it hard to be detached. Same old stupid me, bobbym was right again. That was what I thought all the way home.

#12717 2013-12-18 00:00:41

bobbym
Administrator

at least talk to me.

But she did talk to you as you wanted. Please do not get offended but what I was driving at is that since she can get intimate with half of Europe she can with you too. We discussed the fact that she is a bit on the wild side and if you want to be with her you can.

I should not have been so naive to think that she's not a party girl.

That does not make her a monster. Next time when she starts talking about someone else cut it short by changing the subject. Have her talk about you or herself or something neutral. No one likes to hear about someone else's conquests.

bobbym was right again

The last time I was right was in June of 1971 or was it 1972?

I am sorry to hear about him but at least they fixed him up for now. We do have to watch whom we hang with.

#12718 2013-12-18 04:11:59

zetafunc.

I know, but I just don't think I'm ready for that. I am about as inexperienced as they come. I feel as though if I do get intimate with her then I'll be hurt more when she sleeps with other guys immediately after.

Whenever she talked about the intimate acts with her neighbour or her ex-BF, I didn't really say anything in response. There probably won't be a next time, anyway...

Katie responded, after another month-long wait, just to wish me a good holiday.

#12719 2013-12-18 04:23:41

bobbym
Administrator

Then you are looking for a relationship. She is not the one for that. You will have to wait.

#12720 2013-12-18 04:55:59

zetafunc.

I guess so. But that seems so difficult to find. Since starting uni I have really found it impossible to get anywhere.

#12721 2013-12-18 04:57:16

bobbym
Administrator

Depends on what you are after. It is always difficult but that is not the same as impossible.

#12722 2013-12-18 05:50:38

zetafunc.

I guess. If I do get one I will probably have to be rejected a million more times first, though.

#12723 2013-12-18 06:01:03

bobbym
Administrator

That is quite possible, I have been searching my entire life for one that was capable of a relationship.

#12724 2013-12-18 06:30:51

zetafunc.

If you cannot find one then I almost certainly can't.

#12725 2013-12-18 06:38:10

bobbym
Administrator

That is no reason not to date in between. You will never find one unless you look. The best way to get to know someone is to date.

Board footer