Math Is Fun Forum
  Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#12101 2013-09-12 04:00:29

bobbym
Administrator

Re: Linear Interpolation FP1 Formula

Why is it easier to make friends there?

I have no idea why she acted like that. She has no class and people laughing at you is not the worst thing that can happen. Remember detachment? It is for you too.

In mathematics, you don't understand things. You just get used to them.
I have the result, but I do not yet know how to get it.
All physicists, and a good many quite respectable mathematicians are contemptuous about proof.

#12102 2013-09-12 04:28:23

zetafunc.

Because it is easier to know about all the events and societies at UCL apparently, and it's an easy way to find someone you just met at UCL if you didn't get their number, e-mail, etc... at least, that is what I have heard.

Now that I think about it, she didn't laugh -- she smiled and walked away, which still lacks class to be honest. I feel as though I have lost some of those detachment abilities with my time spent away from girls.

#12103 2013-09-12 04:37:40

bobbym
Administrator

You will need to develop your own sense of worth. When you have a setback, you try to learn from it and then forget about it. You never take anything that another person does to heart. You do not take it inside you. It is like ingesting poison.

If a person condemns you then think about what they said and if they are right then do not bear a grudge. Thank that person, because they have given you a free education.

If a person wrongly condemns you do not even consider it further. A rejection by any woman is to be laughed at and dismissed.

All physicists, and a good many quite respectable mathematicians are contemptuous about proof.

#12104 2013-09-20 19:22:26

zetafunc.

Yes, it's become too much of a habit of mine to let their words penetrate me. I have always been that way. That is another thing that needs to change.

I am moving into my new place in an hour or so. Unfortunately there's no internet until Tues/Weds, so I will probably have to be coming home quite a lot to use my e-mail and plan my journeys.

#12105 2013-09-20 21:41:25

bobbym
Administrator

Hi;

Good luck with the new accomodations!

#12106 2013-09-21 02:42:23

zetafunc.

Thanks! I just moved in. Got internet on my laptop, parents left an hour ago. I'm not allowed a kettle in my room but I brought it anyway, it doesn't set off the fire alarm so as long as I hide it from the cleaners they can't confiscate it.

#12107 2013-09-21 02:44:58

bobbym
Administrator

Very good. Did you walk around the grounds? What will you do first?

#12108 2013-09-21 02:47:14

zetafunc.

I'm 20 minutes walking distance from UCL, currently in halls of residence. There are 5 other people on my floor, all international students I think but haven't had the chance to talk to anyone yet, I think everyone is pretty much still packing their stuff away. I might go for a walk down to the campus later but for now just trying to settle in, I hope the people next door to me are nice.

Kettles don't usually set off smoke alarms, right?

#12109 2013-09-21 02:48:29

bobbym
Administrator

Make sure you do not burn food in them. Cover the smoke alarm if you can reach it.

#12110 2013-09-21 02:51:06

zetafunc.

Unfortunately I can't reach it but I am not making food in my room, just boiling water. I'll have to buy some powdered milk to make tea/coffee. I assume that toasters would set it off, though...

Kind of nervous about it though, because I've heard of people getting kicked out because of that sort of thing.

#12111 2013-09-21 02:53:29

bobbym
Administrator

I was just going to ask that question. If the penalty is that great why risk it. Boiling water is okay. If they do not allow for cooking how are you heating it?

#12112 2013-09-21 02:56:05

zetafunc.

I'm boiling water in an electric kettle (there are some sockets in my room). We can cook food in the kitchen though. I think someone is in there boiling rice.

There's a shelf in the fridge with chicken and beans with mould on it, smells so disgusting.

#12113 2013-09-21 03:01:23

bobbym
Administrator

Clean that fridge out and use a lots of soap.

To be safe cook in the kitchen when you think it is going to smoke.

#12114 2013-09-21 08:45:09

zetafunc.

The other shelves are fine (everyone gets a shelf to themselves), just one guy seems to have left his rotting food on his shelf. I overheard them talking and apparently it's some guy who just moved out but left his food there, so they're going to throw it out if everyone agrees.

I can't cook elsewhere, but I should probably bring some food into my room and stash it away...

#12115 2013-09-21 08:53:32

bobbym
Administrator

That sounds like a Topologist. They always have rotting food around them.

Rotting food, hiding and stashing supplies... Sounds like they have dropped into the jungles of Borneo or maybe even NYC.

#12116 2013-09-22 06:03:07

zetafunc.

We agreed collectively to throw it away (the plate too). That was disgusting.

It's a bit of a dirty place but we can survive here. I'm annoyed that we can't keep food in our rooms, I have to hide it somewhere...

#12117 2013-09-22 06:06:10

bobbym
Administrator

Watch out for foragers!

#12118 2013-09-22 06:17:37

zetafunc.

In my room?

#12119 2013-09-22 06:24:19

bobbym
Administrator

Yep, they are sometimes called burglars. Of course over here we can not call them that. Too demeaning and we do not want to hurt their feelings.

#12120 2013-09-22 06:32:48

zetafunc.

The only person who should be able to come into my room is the cleaner -- my room has a lock. They make you pay £30 (about $48 USD) just to replace the keys. I don't think the word 'cheap' exists in this area of London.

#12121 2013-09-22 06:45:09

bobbym
Administrator

I was recently on a site where there were roomates sharing an internet connection. One of them went away for 2 weeks, locked his room and left his computer on downloading huge files.

This was consuming all the available bandwidth for his friends who now could not even surf. They asked for advice and the number one answer was to break in his room and shut the machine down. Takes about 30 seconds to pick a modern lock. There are tutorials all over the internet.

I am just mentioning it as a possibility. You will have to protect valuables as well.

#12122 2013-09-24 07:15:36

zetafunc.

Hmm... that is terrible. But I can't do this every time I go out, surely? I'd have to hide my laptop, my printer, my iPod, my food, my kettle, my money, etc...

#12123 2013-09-24 07:27:39

bobbym
Administrator

In the event of a robbery you will surely lose most of that. Maybe they will leave the kettle.

#12124 2013-09-25 03:58:05

zetafunc.

Surely that would be true for most homes in general...?

Also, UCL have a thing called a mentor to help you with the transition to uni life. The mentor groups are of a size of around 7 students, with one older student who is a second-year (or older). However, my mentor happens to be a pretty cute girl (a mathematician), and is in fact only 2-3 months older than I am. I only know a little bit about her, but do you think this is dangerous to pursue? I don't want to lose my place at UCL or anything...

#12125 2013-09-25 04:08:33

bobbym
Administrator

She will let you know whether to pursue her or not. Remember, they set it all up for you. You just have to know when to take over.

Board footer