Math Is Fun Forum
  Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#12076 2013-09-05 05:15:22

bobbym
Administrator

Re: Linear Interpolation FP1 Formula

Sudden weight increase will do that. Nothing serious.

In mathematics, you don't understand things. You just get used to them.
I have the result, but I do not yet know how to get it.
All physicists, and a good many quite respectable mathematicians are contemptuous about proof.

#12077 2013-09-05 05:30:20

zetafunc.

It will mean I have to buy new ones -- just when I was about to start budgeting, too. Luckily the £147 per week for rent includes utility bills and free internet, which is fair of them considering how high the rent is...

#12078 2013-09-05 06:37:53

zetafunc.

Also, just a general question on what to do in this hypothetical situation: suppose you are with a girl, and you are having a good time, but then she starts talking about her personal emotional problems or her ex-boyfriend. What I never like to do is say something like "I'm always here for you" because I absolutely dread being a pillow to cry on. What would you say to try and stop her talking about it? I was thinking "Listen, let's just forget about that for the time being," and then follow that up with an unrelated question. But will she take this as a sign that I am not a good listener?

#12079 2013-09-05 12:12:30

bobbym
Administrator

Yep, just let her ramble on and think about something else preferably math related. Just do not think about topology or group theory.

That is when they are most vulnerable and you can move right in for the kill so to speak.

All physicists, and a good many quite respectable mathematicians are contemptuous about proof.

#12080 2013-09-05 12:59:25

zetafunc.

But how do you move in for the kill from that position?

#12081 2013-09-05 13:09:20

bobbym
Administrator

Hmmm, that is something that comes from experience. Girls like to be held and comforted. If they come to you in that state of distress they expect you to provide the comfort. You might be missing all the clues.

Got to go.

#12082 2013-09-07 00:12:24

zetafunc.

But I lack the experience to have that instinct. It has been 7 months since I sat next to a girl (adriana), and I feel as if when the time comes at UCL I will not know how to take control of the situation.

#12083 2013-09-07 00:27:27

bobbym
Administrator

This is not a bear wrestling contest. You do not have to subdue the other person. We assume that if she has let you get that close she is consenting within reason. If she objects at all then you withdraw. You can talk freely with her before and see what is what.

#12084 2013-09-07 22:45:27

zetafunc.

I need to find a way to get into a position of mutual consent, though. I understand that there will be a few girls there who don't want to get involved with guys at all.

Apparently adriana got into Warwick, meaning she probably got something like 2,3,3 in STEP.

#12085 2013-09-08 00:13:33

bobbym
Administrator

If they do not want to get involved what are they doing next to you?

#12086 2013-09-08 23:43:09

zetafunc.

Well, if I am sitting next to them in the lecture theatre it will probably be because I sat next to them and it would be awkward if they left...

Had a look at my student accommodation yesterday. The room I get is pretty small and there is a 50/50 chance I get a room with a view of a brick wall, or some greenery. There are 2 bathrooms shared between 6 people, which are in an OK state, but not great -- kind of dirty and people have left their soap, shampoo etc. scattered on the floor. Kitchen is terrible -- nobody seems to clean up after themselves, counters are all dirty. We do each get a cupboard with a padlock, although we get one shelf in a fridge which isn't padlocked, making it easy to steal stuff. 20 minute walk to UCL's main campus. Also the receptionists are a bit brusque/rude. But I think I could live here, at least, and the hallways are nice to walk through. I am probably making it out to be worse than it really is. And another thing, every single person I have met in the building seems to be Chinese. I mean, I knew the stereotypes surrounding the famous London unis, but I didn't think it would be that ridiculous! I'm going to see if I can live here for a term before moving out to my own flat somewhere with cheaper rent. The thing is, you get £1000 extra for just living in one of UCL's student accommodation -- but that may not necessarily mean anything if I can find a very cheap flat.

#12087 2013-09-09 02:51:06

bobbym
Administrator

Just do not keep anything in the area that is not padlocked. It will be gone.

Yes, it will be an adventure. When you get sick of it then try to move.

Well, if I am sitting next to them in the lecture theatre it will probably be because I sat next to them and it would be awkward if they left...

I was not talking about a lecture.

#12088 2013-09-11 11:26:37

zetafunc.

I might have to buy a mini-fridge or something for my room. The way it's set up at the moment, any random guy can easily sneak in and take my milk, butter, cheese, you name it.

But how will I end up in these girls' homes? It took me 3 months to get to adriana's house, and even then it led to nothing.

#12089 2013-09-11 11:38:29

bobbym
Administrator

That was a prime chance and you probably did not recognize it. There will be other chances...

#12090 2013-09-11 11:54:52

zetafunc.

I know I had my chance, but even so, I'm not sure that would have been a good idea. I have no idea what her BF is like, he could track me down and kill me for sleeping with her, who knows. She tells him everything, that's probably why she stopped talking to me.

I'm not sure about that. I was lucky to get the opportunity to speak to Adriana, Hannah and Katie. I looked desperately for their e-mail addresses and made up an excuse for how I'd found them. It was a miracle that they even responded. Unless I somehow stumble upon a list full of girls' email addresses, my chances will be slim.

#12091 2013-09-11 23:46:21

bobbym
Administrator

Slim? You are not talking about climbing Mt. Everest. Everybody gets his/her share.

#12092 2013-09-11 23:56:25

zetafunc.

Maybe so, but I will probably end up wasting my opportunities again. There are several moments that I remember were perfect opportunities to get closer to Adriana, and I took none of them. She was practically offering herself up on a silver platter at times.

#12093 2013-09-12 00:00:06

bobbym
Administrator

That is what I said. But there will be more chances. Unless you are the great Carnak, you will find it difficult to predict the future.

The older the girls get the more aggressive they will be in engineering circumstances.

#12094 2013-09-12 00:02:23

zetafunc.

But if I don't learn to take my chances then I can have a million more opportunities and it won't make a difference.

I have heard that but they still expect the guy to take the lead.

#12095 2013-09-12 00:11:02

bobbym
Administrator

They expect the guy to think he took the lead. Think back for a second. Who set up the situation between you and Adriana?

Do not worry, it will happen several more times.

#12096 2013-09-12 00:15:02

zetafunc.

I did. I got her e-mail, did most of the contacting, then asked her if I could come over to her house. I don't think she actually invited me once.

Several more missed opportunities...?

#12097 2013-09-12 00:17:05

bobbym
Administrator

Well then if you did everything then why are you worried about doing it again? Seems like it was easy. Next time when you are in a similar situation you will act with more confidence. Experience is the best teacher.

#12098 2013-09-12 00:34:29

zetafunc.

I don't think it was easy. Like I said, I was lucky to find those e-mail addresses. Now that I have to actually approach women, I may not be so successful.

#12099 2013-09-12 00:36:31

bobbym
Administrator

Actually approach women. You are acting like you are approaching Thor or a bengal tiger?! They can only say no and you will get used to that too!

#12100 2013-09-12 03:57:19

zetafunc.

I can't always work up the confidence to do it though. Sometimes I still think about what happened with F and how humiliated I felt when she just laughed and walked away.

I've also been told that I should be on Facebook, but I am not sure about that. They say it will be much easier to make friends.

Board footer