Math Is Fun Forum
  Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#9826 2013-04-03 04:18:37

zetafunc.

Re: Linear Interpolation FP1 Formula

But I have such few opportunities that I fear that I will waste them by asking too soon, so I try to wait for a better moment. I guess if I get their number I can afford to wait longer though.

#9827 2013-04-03 04:24:39

bobbym
Administrator

You can never afford to wait. They have no shortage of guys wanting them. They have many choices. You wait, they get another date.

In mathematics, you don't understand things. You just get used to them.

I agree with you regarding the satisfaction and importance of actually computing some numbers. I can't tell you how often I see time and money wasted because someone didn't bother to run the numbers.

#9828 2013-04-03 07:05:22

zetafunc.

I guess it will take a while before I have the confidence to be that quick, then.

#9829 2013-04-03 07:16:35

bobbym
Administrator

It also gets it over quickly. You know right away that she is not for you.

I am going to eat see you in a few.

I agree with you regarding the satisfaction and importance of actually computing some numbers. I can't tell you how often I see time and money wasted because someone didn't bother to run the numbers.

#9830 2013-04-03 07:45:35

zetafunc.

Okay, see you later.

#9831 2013-04-03 07:55:22

bobbym
Administrator

Hi;

Long waits are bad for you too.

#9832 2013-04-03 08:09:24

zetafunc.

I feel like I am on one right now...

#9833 2013-04-03 08:14:21

bobbym
Administrator

The mean waiting time for that one might be ∞.

#9834 2013-04-03 08:18:40

zetafunc.

In the event that she does respond, how should I respond? It has been 20 days going on 21.

#9835 2013-04-03 08:24:59

bobbym
Administrator

I would talk to her but no sign of anger or disappointment. Act as if you did not even notice how long it has been. Do not ask to come over, if she asks you then go and this time make sure you are compensated. If not, then do not go over anymore. If she does not ask you to come over be detached from it. In either case end the exchange of emails first.

Looks like I have to go to the office to talk about the new lease. See you later.

#9836 2013-04-03 22:53:38

zetafunc.

Okay, I will do that, although I am unsure about the compensation part because I don't think I am capable of pulling that off in my current position. It should also be noted that she has never once invited me over or asked to come over, it has always been me asking to go to hers.

Katie lives 90 minutes away by bus running at optimum speed. I could go to her house... I know she lives with her parents and her 16 year old sister. She's English and comes from a pretty wealthy background... I don't know if I should go.

#9837 2013-04-03 22:57:51

bobbym
Administrator

it has always been me asking to go to hers

That is no good. Looks like she is a dead issue. You will have to wait till she needs math help. Perhaps she has found someone else for that as one of mine did.

Has Katie asked you over?

#9838 2013-04-03 23:01:43

zetafunc.

Actually now that I think about it she did ask me to come to a birthday party with her, and that at a later date she wanted to go to some Japanese restaurant with me. I don't think she directly invited me over though.

No, Katie hasn't... we've not asked each other if we want to meet up yet. She just came back from Poland. At present, she is my most consistent e-mail replier (seems to reply early every morning once per day).

#9839 2013-04-03 23:05:20

bobbym
Administrator

Since she is not replying to your emails don't you think she is unavailable?

As for this Katie, is there any reason for you to believe that she is going to invite you over?

#9840 2013-04-03 23:08:37

zetafunc.

Yes. Although I do think she is just lazy and doesn't want to look like she didn't read those long mathsy e-mails I sent to her. I have been thrown aside.

Other than the fact that she e-mails me regularly, no...

#9841 2013-04-03 23:17:48

bobbym
Administrator

Being dumped happens all the time to everybody. Forget about her until you hear from her. Then follow the advice in post #9835. Until then put her out of your mind.

1 email a day is not sufficient grounds for a romance.

#9842 2013-04-03 23:22:29

zetafunc.

I want to follow the advice; when I think I am going well for several days, I wake up one morning and I can't stop thinking about her. Similar story with F and she was a year ago!

Then, if 1 per day is not enough, I am out of prospects...

#9843 2013-04-03 23:28:35

bobbym
Administrator

What is so amazing about that? It is easy to run out of prospects. You have to get more prospects.

#9844 2013-04-03 23:30:32

zetafunc.

Okay then, we must resume this in 5 months' time.

#9845 2013-04-03 23:31:36

bobbym
Administrator

Whenever you can. There is no real rush. 1 good one is worth 200 bad ones.

#9846 2013-04-04 00:08:53

zetafunc.

So in the meantime these girls are to be treated as acquaintances, but not prospects?

#9847 2013-04-04 00:15:09

bobbym
Administrator

Yes, unless there are some signals like the ones we discussed 8000 posts ago.

#9848 2013-04-04 00:24:06

zetafunc.

However, there is a girl who likes me (Hanh from the UCL open day). A few days ago she even said that none of the guys at Cambridge are as hot as me. The thing is, she lives 2 hours away by bus, but her family are also apparently very racist (particularly towards my kind) and don't like visitors... so, given the circumstances, she cannot really be pursued (this is the same one who wanted to save all intimacy until marriage).

#9849 2013-04-04 00:28:05

bobbym
Administrator

Family does not matter unless they are brothers who want to kill you. None of the girls I ever went with had parents that liked me.

What is 2 hours, you should find out what you and her have in common.

#9850 2013-04-04 02:30:02

zetafunc.

Nothing, really, apart from maths. I don't really have much in common with these girls -- with the exception of Hannah in that we both like tennis (except I'm more obsessive about it than she is). I don't feel attracted to Hanh.

(Hanh and Hannah are different people -- I realise their names differ by only two letters)

Board footer