Math Is Fun Forum
  Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#6751 2013-01-16 08:36:29

bobbym
Administrator

Re: Linear Interpolation FP1 Formula

That is a pleasant one, what did you reply?

In mathematics, you don't understand things. You just get used to them.

I agree with you regarding the satisfaction and importance of actually computing some numbers. I can't tell you how often I see time and money wasted because someone didn't bother to run the numbers.

#6752 2013-01-16 08:43:54

zetafunc.

I haven't replied yet. I did ask adriana out though and she replied with this:

"Sure, that sounds like fun! What were you thinking of doing?"

...and this is where it all breaks down.

#6753 2013-01-16 08:50:15

bobbym
Administrator

You call that breaking down?! That is a yes, go for it!

I agree with you regarding the satisfaction and importance of actually computing some numbers. I can't tell you how often I see time and money wasted because someone didn't bother to run the numbers.

#6754 2013-01-16 08:59:03

zetafunc.

What I meant was, I don't know where to take her. It is really cold outside and I don't want to torture her with a walk, either... especially as she lives a fair distance away (15 miles).

#6755 2013-01-16 09:06:33

bobbym
Administrator

She will not mind, they are a lot tougher than they look.

Coffee shop, any of the places we talked about earlier would be okay. Just make a choice, she wants you to make one for her.

#6756 2013-01-16 09:19:55

zetafunc.

Mentally, yes. Physically, she is pretty small, and that is saying something since I am a pretty short guy at 5'6.

Going to try a coffee shop, see what she says... that would definitely confirm her suspicions that it's a date, and from her response I think she'd gladly go with me. I've just never been in a coffee shop before so I have no idea how to get a coffee from there, so I think I will go there this weekend and see what it's like. That will make me less nervous; if I'm nervous I'll look weak in front of her, so maybe best to make the situation more familiar first.

#6757 2013-01-16 09:34:05

bobbym
Administrator

I would go and have a look around to see what is what. Nervous is not considered weak, indecisive is weak, she will expect you to be nervous.

#6758 2013-01-16 09:38:40

zetafunc.

Hmm, okay. The thing is, I do not know what the good coffee shops are. Should I just tell her something like this:

"I'm thinking a coffee shop will do -- I'll let you know whereabouts in a bit, what's your number?"

I don't want to come across as indecisive (not knowing where the bloody heck a coffee shop is), do you think I should send the above?

#6759 2013-01-16 09:43:32

bobbym
Administrator

You might say how about a coffeeshop that is near you, then you can ask her to decide because it is her neighborhood. That solves the problem of the little thing travelling and you look gallant not weak. Her choice tells you alot about her too.

#6760 2013-01-16 09:48:27

zetafunc.

Thanks, that's a good idea. I've just sent her the e-mail. It's 21:47 over here so she should still be awake.

#6761 2013-01-16 09:49:43

bobbym
Administrator

Oh boy, I meant near her and wrote near you.

#6762 2013-01-16 09:51:27

zetafunc.

It's okay, I knew what you meant. I said:

"How about a coffeeshop near you?"

#6763 2013-01-16 09:52:52

bobbym
Administrator

That should work but if she says you choose then do not ask anymore, just choose someplace.

#6764 2013-01-16 10:01:58

zetafunc.

If that's the case she might have to do some travelling, because I don't know the area where she lives. It's a fairly popular part of London but I just don't go there, it's known for football fans, and she is a big one apparently. I think she was at the Euro Cup when Greece won in 2004 (she is British-Greek).

#6765 2013-01-16 10:04:49

bobbym
Administrator

I think I remember her. The Greek girl that would come up to you once in a while?

If she picks her area then she will know where, you just have to get there.

#6766 2013-01-16 10:07:32

zetafunc.

No, this is another Greek girl, whom I've only met once in person.

Do you remember the Saturday classes? I met Katie, Hannah and adriana there, and I've been communicating with them all via e-mail. The other Greek one is IY, C's best friend, but I've forgotten about her.

I'll decide the time and date at least; I don't want to come back late because it'll get considerably colder.

#6767 2013-01-16 10:11:38

bobbym
Administrator

Wait till she sends a message back and then set it up. I am going to make a little soup so I will be gone for about 20 minutes.

#6768 2013-01-16 10:12:53

zetafunc.

Okay, see you later. I'll be interested in her response, this is the first time I've asked a girl out by e-mail.

#6769 2013-01-16 10:41:05

bobbym
Administrator

That should not matter much. You got a good, positive reply before, looks good from here.

#6770 2013-01-16 10:45:17

zetafunc.

I hope so. I was a little hesitant because eventually she stopped replying to my e-mails (until I sent her one almost two months later). It was probably because our e-mails were getting long. They're shorter now though. And saving every e-mail I have into folders makes it far easier to pretend that I remember what they were saying before.

#6771 2013-01-16 10:48:39

bobbym
Administrator

Good idea, helps when they contradict themselves.

#6772 2013-01-16 10:51:22

zetafunc.

Katie did that, I didn't comment on it though because it was nothing major. She went from saying that she hated train journeys because they made her feet smell, to saying she loved train journeys because there is so much to look at.

#6773 2013-01-16 10:54:53

bobbym
Administrator

They do change alot. Unusual for a girl to be so candid about her feet.

#6774 2013-01-16 10:57:17

zetafunc.

She has weird tendencies. Her breath smelt kind of strong (not bad, just strong, if you know what I mean), and when she was eating a crusty roll she just ate it over her maths booklet and got crumbs all over it. She also said she likes imagining she is in a fairytale and telling stories to herself when she is on a long walk. She didn't smell or anything though.

#6775 2013-01-16 11:02:46

bobbym
Administrator

So, she is a boozer, a crumby person and she talks to herself. Why doesn't she live next door to me then?

Board footer