Math Is Fun Forum
  Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ π -

Login

Username

Password

Not registered yet?

#6551 2012-11-22 23:00:19

zetafunc.

Re: Linear Interpolation FP1 Formula

Yes, turns a lovely light brown when milk is added. My favourite...

#6552 2012-11-22 23:05:40

bobbym
Administrator

We have brands of that type of tea here. I can not say for sure that they taste the same. I have never been to your country so I know little about it and nothing of its food and drinks.

In mathematics, you don't understand things. You just get used to them.
I have the result, but I do not yet know how to get it.
All physicists, and a good many quite respectable mathematicians are contemptuous about proof.

#6553 2012-11-22 23:43:55

zetafunc.

It is very good, maybe the best tea I have had.

The girls are a bit slow replying these days.

#6554 2012-11-22 23:50:10

bobbym
Administrator

How many replies are you waiting for?

All physicists, and a good many quite respectable mathematicians are contemptuous about proof.

#6555 2012-11-22 23:52:13

zetafunc.

Four. Katie, R, and the two girls I mentioned.

#6556 2012-11-22 23:58:36

bobbym
Administrator

That is alot. How did you get the email address of the last 2?

#6557 2012-11-23 00:25:09

zetafunc.

One was also on the mailing list, and then I asked one for the other's e-mail. Apparently they've been talking to each other about me. That could be good or bad...

#6558 2012-11-23 00:27:11

bobbym
Administrator

That is always good. Girls can love you or they can hate you but if they ignore you or do not notice you then they really hate you.

#6559 2012-11-23 00:31:38

zetafunc.

Thankfully none of them are ignoring me, they just seem lazy to reply. Of those two girls, one has not responded for 4 days. R hasn't for 3 days. Katie, 2 days. The other of the two girls, 1 day. That forms a nice pattern...

Katie claimed she has just not been checking her e-mails, despite telling me in person she's been checking them 5 times a day for university offers (they tell you via e-mail). I didn't point out that contradiction though.

#6560 2012-11-23 00:36:23

bobbym
Administrator

Hmmmm. You just had your first taste of the lack of feminine ability to lie well. Oh, they all think they are experts but they slip up all the time.

#6561 2012-11-23 00:41:35

zetafunc.

I get the impression that she doesn't want to look bad in front of me. In the beginning when she learned I did all my mathsy stuff early, she tried to make herself look good by slipping in her module scores. And then when I posed that 'challenge integral' to her, she never talked about it, possibly because she did not want to look weak in front of me. And, she never asks me for help.

#6562 2012-11-23 00:47:55

bobbym
Administrator

I never had much luck with girls that were interested in math either. If she will not open up to you then your task is much harder.

#6563 2012-11-23 00:52:13

zetafunc.

She's sort of opening up I suppose, here are some excerpts from her e-mails:

"I always walk to school, because it gives me a lovely half hour on my own to sort of clear my head and get ready for the day (I like telling myself fairy tales as I walk along, with the unfortunate side effect of talking to myself and getting strange looks from people I pass), if that makes sense?, but if I'm feeling lazy, especially in the winter when it's dark, I get the bus home."

"I go rock climbing (with my mum, like all the cool kids), it's just an indoor wall at a leisure centre. I'm not terribly good- I tend to help with the little kids so that I can get to climb for free, then end up spending two hours sitting on the floor giggling and eating crisps with my friend that goes there."

"London isn't the best place for walking, so it's normally on holiday with my family, rather than a regular activity- one of the things I really like about St Andrews was that you could just walk out of the town into the countryside, which I think would be lovely. I guess it would depend on the company- I'm not a serious walker, I don't have the equipment or anything, and anywone too serious might scare me, I would be worried I was holding them back or something."

Would you classify that as opening up?

#6564 2012-11-23 01:01:17

bobbym
Administrator

Yep! Maybe you should take her up on her invitation?

#6565 2012-11-23 01:01:55

zetafunc.

What invitation?

#6566 2012-11-23 01:07:22

bobbym
Administrator

about St Andrews was that you could just walk out of the town into the countryside, which I think would be lovely. I guess it would depend on the company-

See that little dash at the end...

#6567 2012-11-23 01:14:17

zetafunc.

I noticed that but I thought little of it. Hmm, I am 50-50 on this one, I see what you mean, but it could also have simply been there to create the next statement.

Actually, I lie -- I didn't think little of it, because now I remember that I asked her if she enjoyed walking with a friend or a partner, and she didn't seem responsive to that.

#6568 2012-11-23 01:16:50

bobbym
Administrator

Do not phrase it like that. Say you like to walk and would she like to come with you. Sometimes you do not even have to ask, you just say, "Cmon!"

#6569 2012-11-23 01:18:04

zetafunc.

How do I arrange a walk with someone who lives 2 hours away by train?!

#6570 2012-11-23 01:20:36

bobbym
Administrator

I do not suppose there is much wilderness around London. Maybe in her area, or somewhere half way between you and her.

#6571 2012-11-23 01:25:23

zetafunc.

I could do that -- besides, if she wants me, then she'll make the effort.

Unfortunately, this time it is I who won't have the time. My Cambridge interview is in 12 days. That's my priority right now.

#6572 2012-11-23 01:28:50

bobbym
Administrator

What do you have to do to prepare for that?

#6573 2012-11-23 01:32:36

zetafunc.

They say you can't prepare for it but I'm brushing up on as much stuff as I can. They love to make you sketch difficult curves, and they love their mechanics and combinatorics problems. Unfortunately, my interviewer is a former IMO champion. I do not think much will get past him...

#6574 2012-11-23 01:45:05

bobbym
Administrator

Do you plan to work continuously for the next twelve days?

#6575 2012-11-23 01:47:04

zetafunc.

For the most part.

Board footer