Math Is Fun Forum
  Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#6451 2012-11-03 12:11:53

bobbym
Administrator

Re: Linear Interpolation FP1 Formula

Ask her again? I do not understand.

In mathematics, you don't understand things. You just get used to them.
I have the result, but I do not yet know how to get it.
All physicists, and a good many quite respectable mathematicians are contemptuous about proof.

#6452 2012-11-03 12:16:08

zetafunc.

I mean, ask her when she found out that I liked her. Then I could understand what it was that I did that convinced her.

#6453 2012-11-03 12:17:36

bobbym
Administrator

The first clue is when they see you locking eyes or gawking at them. This they can sense even when you think they are not looking.

All physicists, and a good many quite respectable mathematicians are contemptuous about proof.

#6454 2012-11-03 12:21:09

zetafunc.

I think C caught me doing that and gave a weird/awkward-looking smile at one point. I should have taken that as a clue.

#6455 2012-11-03 12:22:29

bobbym
Administrator

They are conceited and insecure at the same time. They know you like them yet they feel deflated when you do not pursue them.

#6456 2012-11-03 12:25:38

zetafunc.

Why can the woman never pursue the man? It seems that they pursue my guy friends but never me.

#6457 2012-11-03 12:28:33

bobbym
Administrator

You are very poor at seeing the signs from the ones that do pursue you. Girls have types that they think they like. You are able to see them pursuing other guys but it is much harder to see it when it is done to you.

#6458 2012-11-03 12:33:47

zetafunc.

The only one who did was H. I have not been able to see any signs of their pursuit if there have been any, other than H. I can see the signs when they talk to guys, it is obvious. But with me, I almost feel like I can detect the lack of interest. They do not see me in the same light as the other guys.

#6459 2012-11-03 12:45:46

bobbym
Administrator

Until you abandon that negative attitude you have much less hope of success.

#6460 2012-11-19 23:06:33

zetafunc.

I haven't been posting recently because I have been trying to take matters in to my own hands a bit more, see if I can have some success without any help, as there are some things you must learn through experience. However... today, I saw H, with her mother. I thought it was strange that she wasn't at uni. I came over to talk to her, but then her mother (and H) told me that she was going to the mental health hospital. Before I could have a chance to process this, they rushed off and then they were gone. And later I heard H's brother saying that she's taking a year out from uni. Although H is in the past now, this worries me, because I have no idea what is wrong with her, and what may have caused it. I hope she is okay, and I wasn't the reason for this. I've thought about talking to her brother at some point and asking what happened to H, but I don't know if I should just try to stop thinking about it because it probably has nothing to do with me anymore, and I always suspected H was a bit mentally unstable (in fact, I believe I even mentioned it in this thread multiple times).

#6461 2012-11-19 23:09:06

zetafunc.

I must tread very carefully here because I know people who are mentally unstable are extremely vulnerable, and... I don't want it to lead to something horrible. Something that I'd never forget.

#6462 2012-11-20 02:52:58

bobbym
Administrator

Hi;

You are not the cause of her problems, I would just forget about it. Hopefully but unlikely she will get help for her problems.

#6463 2012-11-20 03:07:26

zetafunc.

Okay, I hope so. It was weird seeing her too, she just casually said "I'm going to the mental health hospital", as if it wasn't unusual. And she barely reacted when seeing me. I will try to forget about it though, and she has not been contacting me so she probably does not want to use me as a shoulder.

Oddly, my friend in my physics class today suggested that if I end up going to Cambridge I should give myself a new 'look' before I go, like growing a beard, and he said "you never know, F might find it hot". I do not know why he is mentioning F to me, he has not done so for months.

I'm still in touch with Katie, I'm trying to speed things along with her but it's difficult to get much out of her. But, I have time, still.

I'm not really sure about R at the moment. I tried to push the subject to relationships, but it didn't last long, and when I asked her if she'd ever try a long-distance relationship (because when she goes on her gap year she'll be in another country relative to her partner), and she said no, it would be too problematic. Trying to probe her for more information but from the looks of it, I think her responses tell me that a relationship with her probably isn't on the cards.

I also made a big mistake a few days ago (I think) when I saw both C and IY walking through the corridor, in the opposite direction to me. IY said hi to me and I made eye contact with her, but didn't say anything because C's presence made me get tight. I didn't say anything to C either... I think she tried to look at me but I'm not sure. I may be wrong but I think she tried to smile at me.

I saw R in person and she smiled at me awkwardly -- and then I think another time she saw me but tried not to look at me (tried to catch up with her but she walked quickly into the toilet). I assume she's just a bit afraid to talk to me, because we haven't actually spoken face-to-face in a very long time, and she's likely privy to the fact that I like her a bit.

There are also two new girls I found at the summer school who I'm in contact with. One of them is really into tennis and even played some tournaments, she talks to me every few days. The other seems more sporadic; she usually goes a few days without e-mailing me, but when she does we send lots of e-mails to each other in a short space of time. So at the moment I have quite a few prospects and seeing what I can do with them.

#6464 2012-11-20 03:13:57

bobbym
Administrator

Hi;

Sounds like H has had a nervous breakdown or mental exhaustion as they used to call it.

Do not freeze up anymore with IY or anyone else. Answer a hello with a hello.

#6465 2012-11-20 03:16:42

zetafunc.

I hope it's nothing too serious, and her brother didn't seem too alarmed. The fact that H's mother was with her, rather than just H on her own, may also mean something. But I'm not reading too much into it...

So... if I see C, I say hello?

#6466 2012-11-20 03:38:37

bobbym
Administrator

I would wait until she says it first, then I would reply. A slight nod in her direction is enough if you want to go first.

#6467 2012-11-20 03:41:52

zetafunc.

Okay, I will do that.

#6468 2012-11-20 04:08:07

bobbym
Administrator

Try not to stare at her or act too interested.

#6469 2012-11-20 04:21:36

zetafunc.

But if she is unattainable, why do my actions toward her matter? If that makes her view me as weak, surely it should not make a difference. It's not like C will say to all her friends "OMG, I rejected a guy and he smiled at me 5 months later! How weak is he?"...

#6470 2012-11-20 04:30:12

bobbym
Administrator

That is a watered down version of what she will say. Like guys, women often brag about their conquests.

If she is unattainable why should you expend any energy at all?

#6471 2012-11-20 04:32:28

zetafunc.

Because I don't like the fact that there is currently awkwardness between us whenever we are in the same room.

#6472 2012-11-20 04:47:10

bobbym
Administrator

Can't be helped. I would suggest ignoring the awkwardness.

See you later, need some rest.

#6473 2012-11-20 05:13:52

zetafunc.

It's hard, but I can try. She initially takes my breath away.

#6474 2012-11-20 05:14:05

zetafunc.

Okay, see you later.

#6475 2012-11-20 10:35:30

bobbym
Administrator

Hi;

Sorry for the delay but I needed to sleep and now I have to make a couple of calls to the gas company so there may be more.

Board footer