Math Is Fun Forum
  Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#6401 2012-11-03 02:15:48

bobbym
Administrator

Re: Linear Interpolation FP1 Formula

Are you ready to go to work to support yourself? That would mean you are through with your schooling and have decided upon a job and a lifestyle.

In mathematics, you don't understand things. You just get used to them.

I agree with you regarding the satisfaction and importance of actually computing some numbers. I can't tell you how often I see time and money wasted because someone didn't bother to run the numbers.

#6402 2012-11-03 02:20:43

zetafunc.

I'm not leaving education for another 5 years or so, and I do not know when I will get a job. I will have my own place this time next year though as part of uni accommodation, but the cost of that will be lower than normal since I meet the 'disadvantaged' criteria (low income, parents have no qualifications, etc.)... They also do not recommend maths students to get a job during study terms because it is very demanding.

#6403 2012-11-03 02:26:09

bobbym
Administrator

No roommate?

Having a place of your own just means some freedom and some privacy. It does not automatically supply you with opportunities. You will still have to go and get them.

I agree with you regarding the satisfaction and importance of actually computing some numbers. I can't tell you how often I see time and money wasted because someone didn't bother to run the numbers.

#6404 2012-11-03 02:29:25

zetafunc.

I may or may not have a roommate. It depends where I end up. If I go to Cambridge probably not. If I stay in London, probably yes.

I know it won't, but I want to be able to bring a girl home. At the moment I can't.

#6405 2012-11-03 02:33:03

bobbym
Administrator

Are you a meticulous sort of person? Bringing a girl to your place requires that it be at least neat. Girls need to feel comfortable and for some reason a messy place makes them tense.

#6406 2012-11-03 02:37:37

zetafunc.

Very. Too much in fact. But my house is always messy because of my sister.

#6407 2012-11-03 02:46:41

bobbym
Administrator

The roommate will definitely be an issue when you are seeking privacy.

#6408 2012-11-03 02:50:57

zetafunc.

Hmm, well then I may have to wait 5 years or so.

#6409 2012-11-03 02:57:38

bobbym
Administrator

You can also live on a island by yourself. Or climb Everest. The question is do you want to?

#6410 2012-11-03 03:04:35

zetafunc.

Do I want to? Not really but it might be best.

#6411 2012-11-03 03:11:14

bobbym
Administrator

That is a decision only you can make. It certainly is not a requirement for dating unless you make it one.

You have made some progress with both R and Katie. But now you want to back off. If that is your choice then I will not try to change your mind. Only you can decide whether or not you want to go ahead or wait.

#6412 2012-11-03 03:21:25

zetafunc.

I will ask Katie/R only if they show (more) interest. I'm not really getting any signs from them.

#6413 2012-11-03 03:27:24

zetafunc.

Also, a bit unrelated, but I am worried about my Cambridge interview, particularly the curve-sketching aspect. I'm trying to practise as much as I can, but I don't want something really nasty like x^(x^(x^x)) or some weird trig graph. Do you have any tips for that? I have trouble graphing them quickly.

#6414 2012-11-03 03:27:47

bobbym
Administrator

But are you sure you are reading them correctly?

Girls, like guys do not talk to you for no reason. People basically do things that make them feel good and avoid things that make them feel bad. Altruism, in the truest sense does not exist. They are not talking to you because they feel sorry you, because they are kind, because they want to help someone. They are doing it because they enjoy it. In short, they like you. F and C do not. Surely you can discern the difference in behavior.

#6415 2012-11-03 03:33:40

zetafunc.

So why did C talk to me? And F, at times? They did not like me at all.

#6416 2012-11-03 03:37:58

bobbym
Administrator

Perhaps, they were putting you down in some way. It is impossible to determine why two people like that did what they did. How they felt in the past is irrelevant. They are not interested in you at this moment. I only mentioned them to highlight the difference between those that do and those that do not.

#6417 2012-11-03 03:39:58

zetafunc.

But I still do not know the difference. How can I be sure that Katie/R are not a C or an F in disguise??

#6418 2012-11-03 03:47:15

zetafunc.

Ugh, I just realised something. C didn't give me her e-mail when I asked for it and said to text her instead. That surely would have been a sign that she doesn't care too much about talking to me.

#6419 2012-11-03 03:49:00

bobbym
Administrator

You told me that you never had even a conversation with F or C. Nothing like you are getting from R and Katie. You have done better with them for a reason.

So what if they turn out exactly like F and C.

#6420 2012-11-03 03:52:59

zetafunc.

What? That is not true at all. I had (short) conversations with F via e-mail, all about exams/applying to Cambridge (she'd ignore me after a couple of e-mails though). And with C, I texted her quite a lot. She texted me about 15-20 times in total according to my phone. Yes, it is true I am getting more from R/Katie, but I need to see more to be convinced.

#6421 2012-11-03 04:04:17

bobbym
Administrator

I am afraid that is about as good as it gets. One of them might go a little further to prod you into action but it is 99 to1 against that happening.

R, Katie, IY, and PJ have all given you enough to ask. You may or may not have been rejected. So what if you were? You have not learned anything from past experience. There is something good from even the worst experiences. In this case like my friend you should be immune to rejection.

#6422 2012-11-03 04:12:07

zetafunc.

How do I have enough to ask? I have talked to Katie very little (she has sent me 7 e-mails in total). Same for R. I noticed in R's last e-mail she didn't really ask me any questions, it looked like she was just trying to get a response to my e-mail out of the way. IY could have easily gone the extra mile and checked her e-mail but she did not. PJ, well, I don't want her.

#6423 2012-11-03 04:19:23

bobbym
Administrator

7 emails is enough to conquer the world! You are paralyzing yourself with thoughts of what they might mean for each email.

Take a girl like IY for instance. Probably gets 10 -12 advances made on her per day. Even R and Katie, probably a couple a week. When they talk to you they expect you to act like every guy. They expect you to ask within 5 minutes. You think all these girls are as unaware as C or F were? Think they do not know you like them? Guys do not talk to girls unless they like them. You know it she knows it.

#6424 2012-11-03 05:12:37

zetafunc.

Well, I am planning to ask Katie for her number after the next e-mail.

I don't think you are correct about R being asked out that often. I overheard her about 18 months ago saying that she had never been asked out or had a boyfriend. I don't think she is as experienced as the average girl and thus wouldn't expect me to ask within 5 minutes. Katie, on the other hand, might have. I think you are overestimating them a bit; Katie probably has an inkling but I doubt R does.

Also, I think I may have made a mistake. Katie says she liked the trig questions we got last Saturday, so I told her to integrate the expression in Q8. It was

and I gave her the hint of using a trig substitution. But I think this may be too tough. It's not an easy integral. That may be why she is taking a bit longer to reply. Should I avoid giving her maths questions like that?

(The original question did not ask us to integrate that, just to provide the maximum and minimum values of it.)

#6425 2012-11-03 09:27:54

bobbym
Administrator

Hi;

The math question is fine. If she can not get it she will ask you. That is what you want.

Could be overestimating their practical experience but then again they might be talking to some one with more experience. That person would certainly be telling them what I told you.

Board footer