Math Is Fun Forum
  Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#5176 2012-10-08 06:39:47

bobbym
Administrator

Re: Linear Interpolation FP1 Formula

Because it is data. There is something to be learned by analyzing it.

In mathematics, you don't understand things. You just get used to them.

I agree with you regarding the satisfaction and importance of actually computing some numbers. I can't tell you how often I see time and money wasted because someone didn't bother to run the numbers.

#5177 2012-10-08 06:47:29

zetafunc.

In some parts of that 'interview' (with my maths teacher) I think I was mirroring her subconsciously.

I also saw PJ today in the street, we said hello to each other. And in chemistry she heard my friend boasting about how he sprayed graffiti on the wall of the canteen, and she turned around and looked at me and smiled, a mutual acknowledgement of how stupid he was making himself sound.

There was also a girl who talked to me a little bit and commented that I was 'really quiet'...

#5178 2012-10-08 06:59:46

bobbym
Administrator

Hi;

I think I was mirroring her subconsciously.

What does that mean?

There was also a girl who talked to me a little bit and commented that I was 'really quiet'...

Pretty soon they are going to say that you are a really nice guy. Too nice.

I agree with you regarding the satisfaction and importance of actually computing some numbers. I can't tell you how often I see time and money wasted because someone didn't bother to run the numbers.

#5179 2012-10-08 07:05:05

zetafunc.

Well, now that I think about it, I think it may have been her who put her pen on her chin first, then me who followed shortly after.

Yes, I know. It is near-unavoidable at this stage.

#5180 2012-10-08 07:14:38

bobbym
Administrator

What do you think her comment really means?

#5181 2012-10-08 07:15:54

zetafunc.

That I am not being dominant enough or something along those lines.

#5182 2012-10-08 07:19:34

bobbym
Administrator

Looks like she is talking about the you/her dynamic.

#5183 2012-10-08 07:23:56

zetafunc.

That is ironic considering she is 4'11.

#5184 2012-10-08 07:38:45

bobbym
Administrator

Not quite what I meant. Perhaps she is requesting that you be more verbal with her.

#5185 2012-10-08 07:44:48

zetafunc.

I don't usually get the chance to speak to her though.

#5186 2012-10-08 07:45:18

bobbym
Administrator

She thinks there is a lot of chance to speak to her.

#5187 2012-10-08 07:46:59

zetafunc.

Not really...

#5188 2012-10-08 07:49:29

bobbym
Administrator

Do you think she is talking about your quietness with the rest of the world? Think she cares about how quiet you are to some other girl? I think she is talking about you and her. So if she wants you to talk more to her, why do you think there is no oppurtunity?

See you later, shopping I must go.

#5189 2012-10-09 03:53:11

zetafunc.

To be honest, I don't like this girl one bit. She seems to always say nasty comments about people behind their back and has been 'short' with me in the past whenever I have tried to talk. So what if she thinks I am quiet? I do not care. Sorry, but I don't care for an opinion from someone who tells me I am quiet while at the same time rubbishing everything I say. That does not make sense.

As for today, I saw IY today, and, frustratingly, I caught her right as she was going through the door for an interview with her higher education advisor. I could have waited, but I did not want to be late for my lesson again, as they will give me a fine (I already have two lates this term, one more late is a £50 fine).

I saw C today too, hanging around the door. She was with her friend, but I knew her friend, and so an interesting scenario had revealed itself. Whenever her friend would say "____, could I borrow a pen please?", C would sort of turn away and pretend to be doing something else so as to avoid eye contact. So she was sort of back and forth, up and down the room, trying to hang around with her friend, but not wanting to risk direct contact with me. I did notice though, that when she sat on a table a few metres away from me, that when I coughed, she glanced at me for a second, and quickly turned back. It's also worth noting that, when C and her friend first entered the room, they both sat in a spot which was the furthest spot from me in the room, with C having her back to me. I am pretty sure this was deliberate.

#5190 2012-10-09 09:42:24

bobbym
Administrator

The first girl is not the problem. You do not like her but I will bet you have been known to change your mind.

So, here is what happened today. You didn't have a chance with IY and from the third paragraph you obviously spent a lot of time watching C. You were supposed to ignore her. She knew you were looking at her and that is what made her act weirdly.
Best to keep your eyes on something else when she is around.

#5191 2012-10-09 09:58:53

zetafunc.

I was not looking directly at C. She was in my peripheral vision so I could sort of see what she was doing, but I was mostly talking to my friends. And if IY says to me "hey ____ (my name)" and C is standing right next to her, how do I not slightly look at C?

#5192 2012-10-09 10:04:15

bobbym
Administrator

Hi;

You established eye contact, that is not peripheral vision. You were staring at her. That third paragraph is the longest. You know everything that C did. You were watching. This is a waste of time and concentration is best directed to other things.

#5193 2012-10-09 10:18:05

zetafunc.

No, I didn't establish eye contact. I never saw her eyes looking into mine. Yes, I know everything that C did, but I know what almost everyone else in the room was doing as well, it does not mean I was staring at everyone.

#5194 2012-10-09 10:21:43

bobbym
Administrator

she glanced at me for a second, and quickly turned back.

You were paying attention to her actions. You will be a lot better off when the next time you post you say, C, who is she?

#5195 2012-10-09 10:26:13

zetafunc.

What is wrong with paying some attention to what they do? It did not require a lot of effort and it can help me learn more about how girls react post-rejection.

#5196 2012-10-09 10:32:13

bobbym
Administrator

Post rejection? That is not important to you unless you are doing a term paper or writing a book. You are making her uncomfortable, your classroom is not a game preserve. You can observe them but when you are caught you might consider desisting.

#5197 2012-10-09 10:36:28

zetafunc.

Well, I was not the only one uncomfortable in that situation. Whenever she walked close to me I started to get nervous. Ignoring her does not make that go away.

#5198 2012-10-09 10:41:10

bobbym
Administrator

Some guys have a firm rule of never dating co workers. They know that it can really effect there performance on the job. Some guys do not care. You have already done that and now must learn not to feel uncomfortable or look at her. Otherwise the two of you might have a confrontation. You do not need that.

#5199 2012-10-09 10:43:22

zetafunc.

I don't understand, a confrontation about what?

#5200 2012-10-09 10:48:01

bobbym
Administrator

Did you like H's continual attentions after you told her no? You wanted her to stop bothering you in any way.

Perhaps I am misjudging your posts. From what you have written it sounds like C is aware of your looking. She is also acting strangely about it. I would say she does not like it. You are not interested in C and she not in you. People do not like being observed. If she confronts you what will you do? Argue? This is a no win situation, why get into it?

Board footer