Math Is Fun Forum
  Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#5151 2012-10-07 07:47:53

bobbym
Administrator

Re: Linear Interpolation FP1 Formula

PJ, IY, Anna and even some of the casuals who have come up to you.

In mathematics, you don't understand things. You just get used to them.
I have the result, but I do not yet know how to get it.
All physicists, and a good many quite respectable mathematicians are contemptuous about proof.

#5152 2012-10-07 07:54:47

zetafunc.

I don't remember seeing any signs at all from IY/Anna, how can that be my fault? If anything it would be theirs due to not giving me enough signals.

#5153 2012-10-07 07:58:07

bobbym
Administrator

You are forgetting what we are talking about. If they are talking to you they want something from you, just as when you are talking to them.

All physicists, and a good many quite respectable mathematicians are contemptuous about proof.

#5154 2012-10-07 08:22:47

zetafunc.

Even if it just a single word they say to you?

If I say 'hi' to a friend it doesn't mean I want something from them...

#5155 2012-10-07 08:25:39

bobbym
Administrator

They are already your friend. Do you walk up to strangers and say hi?

Girl does not know you and walks up to you and says hi, she is not just greeting you. She is breaking the ice, maybe...

#5156 2012-10-07 08:27:21

zetafunc.

But that was not the case with IY, or C even. I knew them already, I had been in their class for several months, sitting next to them in fact. The only person who was a stranger to me was Anna.

#5157 2012-10-07 08:36:14

bobbym
Administrator

She was probably flirting. People are really busy. Too busy to just talk to other people idly. People have needs and always trying to fulfill those needs. Girls know not to even talk to guys because guys consider that a come on. Girls know that. If they are not ignoring you something is up.

#5158 2012-10-07 08:47:23

zetafunc.

She shook my hand, I am not sure if that is flirting. Also, I did not ever see H flirt.

#5159 2012-10-07 08:51:22

bobbym
Administrator

What you saw is irrelevant. H wanted something, that is the point. No one hangs around anyone else for no reason. Girls have their own friends. They do not need guys for friends anymore then you need girls for friends. So, if a girl is hanging around or even paying attention to you she wants something.

#5160 2012-10-07 08:54:45

zetafunc.

But if they want something then what am I supposed to do? Anna was walking with me and my friend first (next to my friend though), and only at the end of her journey when I had to go was I acknowledged, when she shook my hand. I do not know what I could have done from there.

#5161 2012-10-07 09:17:28

bobbym
Administrator

Probably nothing. But IY has come up to you on several occasions. Some girls you did not even know approached you. They did that for a reason. Like you, maybe they were hoping something would happen.

#5162 2012-10-07 09:30:27

zetafunc.

Only one girl who did not know me approached me. So, it is too late for IY then? I still see her every now and then and it is only a quick 'hi'.

#5163 2012-10-07 09:41:33

bobbym
Administrator

Could be she gave up on you. They do not wait long.

I remember you saying a couple of girls approached you after a talk you gave or something...

You want to keep saying that there are no oppurtunities out there for you. This can not be true. There are oppurtunities for everybody.

#5164 2012-10-07 09:44:40

zetafunc.

She is still saying 'hi' though.

Oh yes, I forgot about those... did not get to pursue those though since I fell ill for the remainder of that summer school.

Well, I don't think there are no opportunities, just not many and so I am running out of chances for 2013.

#5165 2012-10-07 09:54:37

bobbym
Administrator

You never run out of chances. You only run out when you die. There are always possibilities.

#5166 2012-10-07 09:57:41

zetafunc.

What if I see a chance at IY, but she is hanging around with C? What can I do then?

#5167 2012-10-07 10:09:27

bobbym
Administrator

A long time ago I told you to ask if you wanted something. If you ask them out early you do not have to suffer for so long without knowing.

If you are talking to a girl it is very easy to say,"I am going to the ice cream parlor want to walk with me?" Or, "I am going to park to sit, let's walk and talk." She says yes, you are in, she says no you can ask at a later time. But only 2 more times, after that drop her, she is not interested in you and wants something else from you.

#5168 2012-10-07 10:21:18

zetafunc.

I meant, specifically if I see a girl I am interested in, but she is hanging around with a girl who previously rejected me.

But if we look at it from another perspective, am I near-dead to IY given that she might know I asked out C and got rejected? Has that ruined my chances more than anything else?

If I am alone with a girl I am able to ask them to go somewhere with me, but I still find it difficult to do in groups.

#5169 2012-10-07 10:24:30

zetafunc.

Also, I am not sure if this is important, but when I showed the calculus thing to my maths teacher, there was some mirroring going on. When I put my pen on my chin, she did the same for example.

#5170 2012-10-07 10:31:33

bobbym
Administrator

I meant, specifically if I see a girl I am interested in, but she is hanging around with a girl who previously rejected me.

Depends on the guy. Some do not mind who is there sort of like Anna, they just barge in. If that is the only spot to ask then you have no choice.

I knew a guy that right in the middle of me asking her out he barges in, steps in front of me and asks her out too.

When I put my pen on my chin, she did the same for example.

Hmmmm. What do you think it means?

#5171 2012-10-07 11:18:24

zetafunc.

I think I'd need more confidence to be able to do that, first.

I'm not sure what it means. Also, she doesn't respond to all my e-mails. I think mirroring is common.

#5172 2012-10-07 15:12:21

bobbym
Administrator

I do not think it is that common. It should mean two people in synch.

#5173 2012-10-07 19:07:26

zetafunc.

I don't think considering my teacher is a good idea, especially with the recent news story about that girl and the male teacher.

#5174 2012-10-07 21:54:36

bobbym
Administrator

Who is saying to consider her. We are just examining signs.

#5175 2012-10-08 02:58:43

zetafunc.

Why would we examine signs if we are not considering her?

Board footer