Math Is Fun Forum
  Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ π -

Login

Username

Password

Not registered yet?

#4926 2012-10-03 08:50:22

bobbym
Administrator

Re: Linear Interpolation FP1 Formula

Most people do hate it. They have been conditioned by society to think poor math performance means you are cool. That it is okay to be a math dummy. For instance, one teacher blabbed and told me that his kids could not make change and they were seniors in high school. Another that when he asked his students how many inches long was a 2 foot skateboard they replied 48.

In mathematics, you don't understand things. You just get used to them.
I have the result, but I do not yet know how to get it.
All physicists, and a good many quite respectable mathematicians are contemptuous about proof.

#4927 2012-10-03 08:56:50

zetafunc.

For some people, I can convince them to become interested in it, but as you said, they have been in the mindset of hating maths for so long that they don't want to hear about it. I was talking to a guy today about some interesting concepts in maths, but it is only the guys who like it. Never the girls.

#4928 2012-10-03 09:00:41

bobbym
Administrator

Funniest thing is I get the same reaction from business majors. Over here most of them can not understand why they are required to take math!

All physicists, and a good many quite respectable mathematicians are contemptuous about proof.

#4929 2012-10-03 09:04:32

zetafunc.

I guess it depends on what kind of maths they mean. Maybe they won't need trig for finance for example. But it is a bit disappointing that they do not want to take any maths course, I guess they can always hire someone to take care of the maths for them.

In the words of C: "Maths is ghastly!"

#4930 2012-10-03 09:08:08

bobbym
Administrator

Well at least she is articulate. Here only top of the line ones can speak. The rest grunt like beastfolk.

#4931 2012-10-03 09:10:23

zetafunc.

Yes, she is articulate, one of the reasons I liked her.

We have a lot of grunters over here too. Mostly male though.

#4932 2012-10-03 09:13:18

bobbym
Administrator

You should hear my neighbor. Can't understand a word he says. Wears his pants so low that the poor blighter fell down the stairs. His conclusion, the stairs are too steep. When his friends come over I hear them but can't understand a single word. His wife, I can understand but I just don't want to.

#4933 2012-10-03 09:25:30

zetafunc.

Some of my family's friends are like that too (and some of my family, when drunk). I understand them but it is not easy.

#4934 2012-10-03 17:20:40

bobbym
Administrator

I think I need a grunt interpreter.

#4935 2012-10-03 23:58:16

zetafunc.

I could use one too.

Also, maybe some good news. I saw PJ walking to school today for the first time, she was taking my route... so I stopped and talked to her and we walked the rest of the way. We didn't mention the e-mail thing but she seemed happy to see me, first time I've really talked to her in a long time. Felt nice to talk to her after so long. It was actually the first time we have walked together.

#4936 2012-10-04 00:19:40

bobbym
Administrator

Hi;

That is good news. First time you saw her walking your way?

#4937 2012-10-04 00:27:10

zetafunc.

Yes. I was walking behind her and I initially thought it was someone else, but it looks like PJ lost a little bit of weight so it was difficult to tell (she used to be a bit more on the heavier side). She stopped at the corner to get something out of her bag, where I intercepted her. First time I saw her walking my route.

#4938 2012-10-04 00:36:01

bobbym
Administrator

Do you think that was a coincidence?

#4939 2012-10-04 00:41:33

zetafunc.

I think so, yes. She has no clue how I get to school.

#4940 2012-10-04 00:45:21

bobbym
Administrator

Will she be on the same route tomorrow?

#4941 2012-10-04 00:49:43

zetafunc.

I have the rest of the week off and then the weekend. Won't see her on Monday because I have to go to another part of the college, on another route. Tuesday and Wednesday are the only possibilities.

Maybe I could e-mail her and ask her...

#4942 2012-10-04 01:07:37

bobbym
Administrator

Ask her what? That she is following you. She will deny it.

#4943 2012-10-04 01:15:29

zetafunc.

I meant ask her when she takes that route, what her complete route is, and where she lives.

#4944 2012-10-04 01:25:54

bobbym
Administrator

Based on the fact that it has never happened before I would say her route and yours do not coincide.

#4945 2012-10-04 01:32:12

zetafunc.

She could have easily moved house. This happened yesterday when I saw my friend walking on the same route as me for the first time: he'd just moved near my house.

#4946 2012-10-04 01:47:42

bobbym
Administrator

Yes, that is possible. Was she more attractive this time?

#4947 2012-10-04 03:30:22

zetafunc.

Yes, more than before.

#4948 2012-10-04 03:51:00

zetafunc.

I saw Anna too today, but it was a bit of a rude encounter. I was talking to my friends who I hadn't seen in a long time, and suddenly Anna comes along and just stands right in front of me and starts talking to them, as if she is more important. Wanted to know about another party she could go to. I presume she wants to have another casual encounter... such is the nature of easy women.

And supposedly the Goldbach conjecture has been proven 'for real' this time, by an Indian computer scientist using graph theory. But no papers have been published... and a lot of people are skeptical too since graph theory is an unusual approach, and obviously there are lots of claims about people solving these old problems which usually turn out to be false.

#4949 2012-10-04 05:17:20

bobbym
Administrator

Never mind her. That is a feminine trait.

They have been pretty close with Goldbach.

#4950 2012-10-04 05:21:11

zetafunc.

It may be a feminine trait, but not all the girls I know would do that. PJ/IY would not. Some people have more class.

I like the Goldbach conjecture, or any conjecture that is easy to express but so very difficult to prove.

Board footer