Math Is Fun Forum
  Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#76 2012-02-25 21:39:42

zetafunc.

Re: Linear Interpolation FP1 Formula

Do you think I am too young to be thinking about these things? I only turned 17 a few months ago, I haven't even passed my driving test yet or done lots of other things.

Hmm... a third party doesn't sound right to me, I always prefer to ask someone out face-to-face. It hasn't worked yet but I would have thought that they're more likely to take you seriously if you do it yourself?

#77 2012-02-25 21:57:58

bobbym
Administrator

Hi;

I do not know what the correct age is for that. I guess that depends on you and of course your parents. What do they think of your plans?

In mathematics, you don't understand things. You just get used to them.

I agree with you regarding the satisfaction and importance of actually computing some numbers. I can't tell you how often I see time and money wasted because someone didn't bother to run the numbers.

#78 2012-02-25 21:59:48

zetafunc.

My parents don't know. But every so often they ask if I have a girlfriend and I tell them I don't. At one point they thought I wasn't straight. If I entered a relationship I'd wait a bit before telling them anything.

#79 2012-02-25 22:09:14

bobbym
Administrator

Okay, again that is personal decision you have to make.

Not all dates lead to relationships. Most relationships do not make it passed the first date. How about just something casual?

I agree with you regarding the satisfaction and importance of actually computing some numbers. I can't tell you how often I see time and money wasted because someone didn't bother to run the numbers.

#80 2012-02-25 22:12:03

zetafunc.

Something casual? How do you mean?

#81 2012-02-25 22:13:17

bobbym
Administrator

Coffee, skating, a walk in a park, dancing, visiting a museum or a landmark, walking around a lake etc.

#82 2012-02-25 22:21:38

zetafunc.

Oh, I thought you meant something else. That sounds okay, I guess I could use that to judge where I'm at and if I want to take things further.

#83 2012-02-25 22:29:17

bobbym
Administrator

Why not try that first. Most people will not turn down what they think is an interesting activity with someone they know is okay.

#84 2012-02-25 22:36:56

zetafunc.

Do you think I should ask her if she wants to go for a coffee sometime? We've never actually hung out before.

#85 2012-02-25 23:01:18

bobbym
Administrator

Only one way to really know for sure, you have to ask.

#86 2012-02-25 23:03:56

zetafunc.

I think I will wait a bit before asking her. It wasn't long ago that I was rejected by the other girl so I don't want that to be influencing what I do too much.

#87 2012-02-25 23:10:06

bobbym
Administrator

Do what you think is right. I am not an expert.

#88 2012-02-25 23:13:46

zetafunc.

Okay.

I feel like I am becoming too distracted. I have 20 exams in May-June which I should be preparing for. I hope this girl doesn't hinder that...

#89 2012-02-25 23:15:45

bobbym
Administrator

Wait until after. If you are not terribly interested in her then you can definitely wait.

#90 2012-02-25 23:19:03

zetafunc.

Wait until after June?

#91 2012-02-25 23:32:05

bobbym
Administrator

I would not but if you feel you are going to be distracted...

#92 2012-02-26 04:31:18

zetafunc.

See you later.

I think I might be able to handle it along with revision. But I want to wait to see how she responds to different ways I talk to her first, because I just have the feeling that it'll be another quick rejection (which I'm okay with - but if you try, you may as well calculate your chances of success first).

#93 2012-02-26 04:47:18

bobbym
Administrator

if you try, you may as well calculate your chances of success first)

This is not a FFT. Calculating and computation are for mathematics. It is easy to get caught up in it but math is a microworld.

Ever hear of the story of Johannes Kepler? It is said that he used math to decide between 1 of 12 choices of wives. He picked the absolute worst one.

In the immortal words of Obi Wan, "trust the force Luke!" Here we use psychology and gamesmanship to outsmart the fairer gender. We are forced to do this, if we do not confuse them they would never go out with us. We do not use Runge Kutta.

#94 2012-02-26 05:19:52

zetafunc.

Sorry, calculate was probably the wrong word. 'Judge' was probably better. I could discover through conversation that she thinks I'm ugly or smelly, in which case I wouldn't want to date her.

#95 2012-02-26 05:35:43

bobbym
Administrator

If she thinks you are ugly and smelly she might want to marry you! Have you ever seen what some girls consider cute or hot? Just take a look at what they date...

#96 2012-02-26 05:47:23

zetafunc.

I guess I'm just looking at the negatives a bit too much I suppose. If I had to think of any reasons why of the 6 girls I've asked none have gone out with me, they'd probably have (partially, at least) something to do with my appearance.

Surely is a girl thinks that you are smelly and ugly she would not want to marry you, though?

#97 2012-02-26 05:53:28

bobbym
Administrator

Some like rough, masculine guys. Some like musicians. Some like gangsters, some like nerds, some like rich guys, some like bums. There is just no way to determine how her brain will interpret you. Only 6, that is pretty good.

#98 2012-02-26 07:00:44

zetafunc.

Something about her makes me feel that she would like another kind of guy. I saw her looking at the cover of a magazine once and noting that a guy in it was attractive... he was one of those bleached-hair guys in a rock band with piercings. That's the complete opposite of me.

#99 2012-02-26 07:02:36

bobbym
Administrator

That is the complete opposite of a human! Those things look like something from a horror film. Why bother with her if you know she does not like you?

#100 2012-02-26 07:09:17

zetafunc.

Well, I'm not certain. I don't know for sure. But apparently the features I have are generally the least appealing, a few girls have told me why. I suppose if I just get the opportunity I'll ask her but I doubt I would be what she is looking for.

Board footer