Math Is Fun Forum
  Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#51 2012-02-23 07:43:29

bobbym
Administrator

Re: Linear Interpolation FP1 Formula

Same university that she is heading to?

In mathematics, you don't understand things. You just get used to them.

I agree with you regarding the satisfaction and importance of actually computing some numbers. I can't tell you how often I see time and money wasted because someone didn't bother to run the numbers.

#52 2012-02-23 07:59:39

zetafunc.

It depends on whether or not I get in, but yes, if everything goes as planned, then we may end up going to the same university.

#53 2012-02-23 08:16:04

bobbym
Administrator

So, it is not over yet! Who knows what will happen in the future.

I agree with you regarding the satisfaction and importance of actually computing some numbers. I can't tell you how often I see time and money wasted because someone didn't bother to run the numbers.

#54 2012-02-23 08:19:23

zetafunc.

It's possible I could see her again, but it would be at least a year. Or if I don't get in, then I probably won't see her again, but that's surely good, because I can get over here more easily? If I saw her again I might start to have feelings for her once more...

#55 2012-02-23 08:33:03

bobbym
Administrator

You will recover from it. Might not happen quickly but it will happen.

#56 2012-02-23 08:51:01

zetafunc.

In the past it has usually taken a few months for me... I just need to not see her for a while. But I'll be seeing her every day except for the weekends, unfortunately... until about June.

#57 2012-02-23 09:42:28

bobbym
Administrator

Well that is not a bad thing. Some contact is good. Even if it is just as friends.

#58 2012-02-23 19:04:46

zetafunc.

I guess, but I hate that awkwardness after you ask someone out. Sometimes they are okay with it and are still your friend, other times they don't feel comfortable with you anymore.

#59 2012-02-23 19:39:00

bobbym
Administrator

Hi zetafunc.;

That is the hazard of it. There is always some danger in anything you will ever do. Think of it as a Risk vs Rewards problem. You risk your ego and your image if she says no. You gain the girl when she says okay. Only you can decide whether the risk is worth it,

#60 2012-02-24 05:08:17

zetafunc.

That's a good way of thinking about it I suppose... I wish there was some way to calculate an estimate probability of acceptance and rejection.

There is another girl I used to like in my chem class (who is my age, not older than me) but I stopped feeling so strongly about her when I met the older girl (who wants to do maths at uni). She is more accessible because she initiates conversation with me at least, but I don't really think my chances are better with her either. I wonder if I should just wait and I am just feeling this way due to rejection. She is pretty but I don't feel the same way about her as I used to. Is waiting a better idea?

#61 2012-02-24 06:56:20

bobbym
Administrator

Hi;

Waiting, is always a major mistake. It assumes that everything will stay the same while you are waiting.

#62 2012-02-24 09:14:47

zetafunc.

Hmm... I guess I don't know what to do then. I want to go back to doing my revision for my upcoming exams but I can only do it for a little while before I just start thinking about her again. Thank heavens this didn't happen the day before an exam.

#63 2012-02-24 10:09:11

bobbym
Administrator

Harry Callahan wrote:

A man has got to know his limitatioins.

About the worst thing that can happen to any guy is to pine away about some girl. God knows I have been caught in that quagmire more than once. My advice, is she gettable? Yes, then go get her, No, then totally forget about it.

#64 2012-02-25 01:05:48

zetafunc.

The older girl is certainly not gettable, but the one my age I'm not sure about.

#65 2012-02-25 08:09:16

bobbym
Administrator

Hi;

Looks like you still have a shot!

#66 2012-02-25 09:09:10

zetafunc.

That's good to hear... although my chances seem perhaps a bit slimmer because she is taller than me by a few inches (research suggests women generally prefer men slightly taller than them).

I just don't know how I feel about her though, I mean, when I think about her I don't get the same feelings that I do when I think about the older girl. I don't want to try for something that I'm unsure I really want in the first place...

#67 2012-02-25 09:24:46

bobbym
Administrator

I would not worry about your physicality at all. It often does not fit into a girls parameters when they date. Women are not as visual as we are. Meaning they are not as hooked on looks and body parts as men.

Do you think she is attractive?

#68 2012-02-25 09:36:41

zetafunc.

I do think she is attractive, yes...

Suppose I did ask her out without the intention of entering a relationship, would this be a bad thing? For example, just going for a coffee over the weekend together but just to get to know her, rather than to make an attempt to 'get closer' if you know what I mean. But I wouldn't want to lead her on or anything. I don't know how attracted to her I am, I mean, she's good-looking and is more extroverted, but is so different to the other girl (she hates maths, for example). I don't really know what to do, to be honest...

#69 2012-02-25 09:42:43

bobbym
Administrator

Hi;

But I wouldn't want to lead her on or anything.

You are being too sensitive. Women are tough and can handle mostly anything. You do not have to treat them like a fragile flower. Remember, despite all the modern bullfeathers, they were made for us and us for them. A perfect match!

(she hates maths)

So do I! My experience has been when the girl likes math she always thinks she knows more math than you do. This can create friction. Although, proving her wrong and watching her weep can be a thrilling moment.

You can assist her with her math, she will be grateful.

#70 2012-02-25 09:52:06

zetafunc.

I'm not sure she wants assistance though, she doesn't study maths. Over here in Years 7-11 (ages 11-16) it is compulsory, but after that you can drop it. She dropped it and is taking psychology, biology, chemistry, English literature. Only thing we both study is chemistry, but she is not doing well in it... she says that she wants to drop it next year (I just realised that means we'll share no classes next year).

Hmm, I see what you mean about being with a girl who also likes maths. I have always wondered if two mathematicians do make a good couple.

#71 2012-02-25 10:48:22

bobbym
Administrator

Hi;

You do not need to be in the same classes to date. If she is not doing well in mathematics no wonder she is doing poorly in chemistry.

You really only have to consider your feeling when deciding to date. let her make her own mind up.

#72 2012-02-25 10:53:24

zetafunc.

Hmm... okay. But shouldn't I try and see if I notice signs that she may like me first? I've been trying to spot them but it's tricky. I've noticed some things but they sound so general they probably don't mean anything.

#73 2012-02-25 11:00:34

bobbym
Administrator

Know anything about body language? If not read a good book on it. Worth its weight in gold when dealing with the gals.

#74 2012-02-25 11:02:10

zetafunc.

I have read things but they've all turned out to be red herrings in the past...

#75 2012-02-25 11:07:49

bobbym
Administrator

Hi zetafunc.;

Could be if you have read that horrible Wikipedia article on it. I like the books by Julius Fast.

Some cultures that are more civilized than my own use the technique of a third party to do the asking. This way, no one loses face when a rejection occurs.

Board footer