Math Is Fun Forum
  Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

Login

Username

Password

Not registered yet?

#26 2012-01-31 08:00:13

zetafunc.

Re: Linear Interpolation FP1 Formula

bobbym wrote:

Hi;

It is normal do not worry about it. Happens to everybody so we all wasted and are wasting are time. The playing field is level.

You are 12? Meet anonimnystefy he is 14.

I just turned 17... Year 12 is for ages 16-17, it's the penultimate year before you apply to university. She is almost 18.

Hello anonimnystefy, pleasure to meet you.

#27 2012-01-31 08:02:06

bobbym
Administrator

Oh, I am sorry. You are fully grown and so is she. Talk to her!

In mathematics, you don't understand things. You just get used to them.
I have the result, but I do not yet know how to get it.
All physicists, and a good many quite respectable mathematicians are contemptuous about proof.

#28 2012-01-31 08:07:01

zetafunc.

bobbym wrote:

I'm trying to but she has this friend of hers that is always talking to her non-stop. They are almost stuck together; one of them can never be found alone. When I try talking to her with her friend around, I ask her a question and then her friend begins talking non-stop. I can't just tell her to let the girl I'm trying to talk to speak, because that would be rude... so I'm just waiting for an opportunity when she is actually alone, but it seems the only way I can do that is by stalking her or something. They seem impossible to separate.

#29 2012-01-31 08:09:48

zetafunc.

Actually this exam today was my best chance but she decided to leave 45 minutes early. I contemplated leaving early too so I could catch up to her but I told myself it wasn't worth it and that another opportunity would come, and concentrate on checking my answers instead of leaving.

#30 2012-01-31 08:13:25

bobbym
Administrator

Hi zetafunc.;

She sounds like a tough one. Just be ready for when your moment comes.

All physicists, and a good many quite respectable mathematicians are contemptuous about proof.

#31 2012-01-31 08:15:47

zetafunc.

bobbym wrote:

Hi zetafunc.;

She sounds like a tough one. Just be ready for when your moment comes.

It had better come before May... she's off to university after that and then I'll never see her again.

#32 2012-01-31 08:16:17

anonimnystefy
Real Member

zetafunc. wrote:

bobbym wrote:

I'm trying to but she has this friend of hers that is always talking to her non-stop. They are almost stuck together; one of them can never be found alone. When I try talking to her with her friend around, I ask her a question and then her friend begins talking non-stop. I can't just tell her to let the girl I'm trying to talk to speak, because that would be rude... so I'm just waiting for an opportunity when she is actually alone, but it seems the only way I can do that is by stalking her or something. They seem impossible to separate.

well at least that's easy.when she's talking to her friends just ask here if she could come with you so you can ask her something and just 'drag' her somewhere private and ask her what you want to! smile

The limit operator is just an excuse for doing something you know you can't.
“It's the subject that nobody knows anything about that we can all talk about!” ― Richard Feynman
“Taking a new step, uttering a new word, is what people fear most.” ― Fyodor Dostoyevsky, Crime and Punishment

#33 2012-01-31 08:19:34

zetafunc.

Well, my number one priority is to find out if she has a boyfriend. If she does, then I can just forget about it. If she doesn't, then I may have to do the old "can I talk to you in private?" and ask her out. Unfortunately I don't know a lot about this sort of thing.

#34 2012-01-31 08:23:59

bobbym
Administrator

I don't know a lot about this sort of thing.

Who does? They always have boyfriends, sometimes dozens of them. You can not let that stop you. They also change their minds very quickly.

#35 2012-01-31 08:28:28

zetafunc.

bobbym wrote:

Who does? They always have boyfriends, sometimes dozens of them. You can not let that stop you. They also change their minds very quickly.

What do I do if she has a boyfriend...? In a relationship that lasted several years?

#36 2012-01-31 08:31:58

bobbym
Administrator

Unless they are in love you are not locked out. If she is really close with someone then just wait for your time.

#37 2012-01-31 08:36:29

anonimnystefy
Real Member

zetafunc. wrote:

Well, my number one priority is to find out if she has a boyfriend. If she does, then I can just forget about it. If she doesn't, then I may have to do the old "can I talk to you in private?" and ask her out. Unfortunately I don't know a lot about this sort of thing.

ok,here's how a programmer would write an algorithm for this sort of thing:
1.check if she's single.you can do this easily.just ask one of her friends if she's single but casually.just mention it somehow.
2.if she has a boyfriend then
    3.check if they're happy together.
         4.if yes then this is where you give up.
         5.if not then pursue to step number 6.
6.break them apart somehow.you can maybe make her realize that he's not right for her.if this step is done then go directly to step 9.
6.casually in a conversation with her close friend (possibly different than the one in step 1) ask what type of guys she likes.
  7.if you're not her type change yourself a little her brain and time will do the rest.
  8.if you are then great!
9.ask her out until she accepts to go on a date with you.

“It's the subject that nobody knows anything about that we can all talk about!” ― Richard Feynman
“Taking a new step, uttering a new word, is what people fear most.” ― Fyodor Dostoyevsky, Crime and Punishment

#38 2012-01-31 08:48:15

bobbym
Administrator

Yes, persistence is the name of the game. The only thing that should stop you is if her boyfriend is a gangster or a wrestler. They are usually very jealous so you could be endangering your life.

#39 2012-01-31 08:52:09

anonimnystefy
Real Member

oh and Zetafunc. Y U NO BECUM MAMBR?

#40 2012-02-24 05:10:49

zetafunc.

She doesn't have a boyfriend, but she rejected me. Ah well, now time to focus on the exam season.

#41 2012-02-24 05:15:53

bobbym
Administrator

Hi zetafunc.;

When that happens and it will sometimes, just move right on to something better. Just do not ever let her know that you are hurt by her rejection. Some women can be vicious and will tear you to pieces if they think you are weak.

Woops, I had better amend that statement or the NOW, one of its members whom I have dated will tear me to pieces. Let me say most are kind, loving, beautiful and intelligent. That should clear me.

#42 2012-02-24 05:54:45

zetafunc.

Okay, thanks for the advice. Usually in the past what's helped me to get over it is just to not hang around them, but with her it's a bit difficult to do that because I'm forced to see her basically every day. In rejecting me she seemed quite nice about it though, she smiled and laughed it off a bit (not in a mocking sort of way).

#43 2012-02-24 06:00:45

bobbym
Administrator

Certainly your grades in math should be better than hers. After all, you come in here and she does not. That is an overwhelming advantage. How about offering her help and meaning it. No funny business. Everyone would like to do a little bit better, she is no exception.

#44 2012-02-24 06:05:27

zetafunc.

We got similar module scores... we both did 6, we got the same for 4 of them (strangely), I got higher than her in one, and she got higher than me in one, not that it matters too much. Sometimes she likes to ask maths questions to the teacher which she can't answer so I answer her in front of the class (she might ask what a partial derivative is, or how to differentiate |x| or something, and I answer her indirectly (speaking for the teacher if she does not know)).

She seems a bit awkward around me... we'd have a conversation but then she'd see her friend and walk over to her and just ignore me/not say bye. In fact, all the people in my class are like that. Weird.

#45 2012-02-24 06:14:48

bobbym
Administrator

Hey, I got an idea. Why not have her join up in here? A couple of posts between a chauvinist bear such as myself and her and she will know what a great guy you are. She will come running into your arms.

#46 2012-02-24 06:24:56

zetafunc.

Haha, I don't think that is such a great idea... I'll get over it. I can find someone else...

#47 2012-02-24 06:27:37

bobbym
Administrator

When you do make sure you let her see the new and improved one. Let her know what she missed out on. It drives them crazy!

#48 2012-02-24 06:32:57

zetafunc.

It's unlikely she'll see that seeing as she's only going to be in school for another few months before she goes on study leave for her exams... I don't get study leave because I'm a year below her. When she's at uni next year I'll still be in sixth form so if I did find someone I liked (which doesn't seem likely) she wouldn't see her.

#49 2012-02-24 06:38:11

bobbym
Administrator

Do not worry about that. One of her friends or even an acquaintance will tell her. She will know. Look real hard for one.

#50 2012-02-24 06:42:22

zetafunc.

But I honestly can't think of anyone that I like... I have liked a few girls in the past but they've all rejected me (well, only 5, so not much). Sixth time lucky I suppose, but I'll probably see someone I like at university.

Board footer