Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2011-05-03 01:29:52

Deon588

Software for creating very basic graphs. Any suggestions?

Hi. I have a upcoming assignment where i need to sketch some very basic numberlines and show the union and intersections of different sets.  I usually submit my work online and up to now it worked out very well because i only had algebra and used mathtype. Does anyone have any suggestions for software which i can use for creating graphs etc For windows?  I have searched everywhere but can't seem to find what i'm looking for.  I managed to draw the numberlines but there's no way to insert the correct ticmarks e.g <> not sure what it's called exactly but in roster notation it's written as e.g [8,0) or (4,6] Thanks a lot in advance

#2 2011-05-03 02:13:28

gAr

Re: Software for creating very basic graphs. Any suggestions?

Hi,

Don't know exactly what you need.
But I would suggest geogebra: http://www.geogebra.org/cms/

See if that works for you.

"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense"  - Buddha?

"Data! Data! Data!" he cried impatiently. "I can't make bricks without clay."

#3 2011-05-03 02:50:20

Deon588

Sorry if i was a bit confusing. Here is an example of 1 of my questions.
Suppose p=(-3,4)
and q:E:R:-4<x<0
sketch each of the sets
p,q
p"union"q
and p"intersection"q on seperate numberlines

I wasn't sure how to write this in LaTex so if it's still a bit unclear let me know and i'll attach a .gif image.
Also -4 in the set q must be less than or equal to.  That's what i meant in my previous post with [
Thanks

#4 2011-05-03 03:03:10

gAr

Ok, try geogebra.
That may be good enough for you.

"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense"  - Buddha?

"Data! Data! Data!" he cried impatiently. "I can't make bricks without clay."

Board footer