Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#26 2007-07-03 00:20:57

JaneFairfax

Re: World’s fastest supercomputer launched

Exactly! Normally we would not! but sometimes Calculations end up dividing Zero in a certain way! and the result is the computer CRASHES!!

Does it? My computer only displays a division-by-zero error message. hmm

#27 2007-07-03 03:44:55

mikau

mine too, Jane.

I would say it is the Biggest reason why Windows and other operating systems CRASH!!
And within other software are also Prone to CRASH!!

where do you get this stuff?

A logarithm is just a misspelled algorithm.

#28 2007-07-04 00:41:25

Anthony.R.Brown
Banned

To JaneFairfax

Quot:" Does it? My computer only displays a division-by-zero error message. "

Yes! when you are only using a Text! based program! you will see the Error message! but when using a more elaborate program with lots of Graphics and layers of windows! you will not see the Error! it will just CRASH!! somewhere within the Program when the Division by Zero turns up!.....

A.R.B

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Genius Is Noticed! But Refused Acceptance! By Persons With Academic liabilities! ......................

Last edited by Anthony.R.Brown (2007-07-04 00:55:36)

#29 2007-07-04 01:01:47

luca-deltodesco

anthony, you are full of crack, seriously, are you are a computer programmer? no, you don't fully understand how things work, it does not work like that.

the only time a program can crash from a 'division by 0' is in a badly written program.

Last edited by luca-deltodesco (2007-07-04 01:02:35)

The Beginning Of All Things To End.
The End Of All Things To Come.

#30 2007-07-04 04:56:09

Ricky

I tried to divide by zero on paper, and the dang thing just burst into flames.

"In the real world, this would be a problem.  But in mathematics, we can just define a place where this problem doesn't exist.  So we'll go ahead and do that now..."

#31 2007-07-04 11:45:03

Zach

I wrote a calculator program. When you divided by zero, it deleted your hard drive.

Boy let me tell you what:
I bet you didn't know it, but I'm a fiddle player too.
And if you'd care to take a dare, I'll make a bet with you.

#32 2007-07-05 01:20:26

Anthony.R.Brown
Banned

To luca-deltodesco

Quote:" anthony, you are full of crack, seriously, are you are a computer programmer? no, you don't fully understand how things work, it does not work like that. "

A.R.B

You Know! Less Than Nothing! < 0........................................................................................

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Genius Is Noticed! But Refused Acceptance! By Persons With Academic liabilities! ......................

Last edited by Anthony.R.Brown (2007-07-05 01:25:29)

#33 2007-07-05 01:23:01

Anthony.R.Brown
Banned

To luca-deltodesco

Quote:" the only time a program can crash from a 'division by 0' is in a badly written program. "

A.R.B

Windows! All Versions! Are Badly Written Programs/Software/Operating Systems!..................

Last edited by Anthony.R.Brown (2007-07-05 01:25:42)

#34 2007-07-05 04:25:57

mikau

you will not see the Error! it will just CRASH!! somewhere within the Program when the Division by Zero turns up!.....

then how do you know it WAS division by zero, Anthony?

A logarithm is just a misspelled algorithm.

#35 2007-07-06 00:01:13

Anthony.R.Brown
Banned

To mikau

Quote:" then how do you know it WAS division by zero, Anthony? "

A.R.B

My Quote: Post #25 " Exactly! Normally we would not! but sometimes Calculations end up dividing Zero in a certain way! and the result is the computer CRASHES!! "

As above SOMETIMES! of course it Can be Many Program Errors! But as I also said in Post #25 " I would say it is the Biggest reason why Windows and other operating systems CRASH!!
And within other software are also Prone to CRASH!! "
This does not say All the Time!!............................................................................................

How I know! is by Knowing how Bad the Original Windows was Programed! and the Faults are Still there! right from the Start with DOS! Fancy not allowing for the Future Y2k problems etc.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Genius Is Noticed! But Refused Acceptance! By Persons With Academic liabilities! .....................

Last edited by Anthony.R.Brown (2007-07-06 00:19:39)

#36 2007-07-06 03:02:32

Ricky

I would say it is the Biggest reason why Windows and other operating systems CRASH!!

Based upon rampant speculation and not understanding how computers handle errors.

"In the real world, this would be a problem.  But in mathematics, we can just define a place where this problem doesn't exist.  So we'll go ahead and do that now..."

#37 2007-07-07 02:04:08

Anthony.R.Brown
Banned

The Planet is Full of Fools!...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Genius Is Noticed! But Refused Acceptance! By Persons With Academic liabilities! .....................

#38 2007-07-07 02:52:44

Devantè
Real Member

Ehm, OK then ... ?

As a sidenote, you don't have to constantly keep on typing out your 'signature' in every single on of your posts. Use the forum's features. First of all, it looks neater, second of all, it saves you time.

#39 2007-07-09 01:18:12

Anthony.R.Brown
Banned

To Devante

Quote:" Ehm, OK then ... ?

As a sidenote, you don't have to constantly keep on typing out your 'signature' in every single on of your posts. Use the forum's features. First of all, it looks neater, second of all, it saves you time. "

A.R.B

And Far Worse Than The Rampant Fools! Are The Persistant R,s With Ones Tongues!.................

#40 2007-07-09 08:05:57

Patrick
Real Member

Anthony.R.Brown wrote:

To Devante

Quote:" Ehm, OK then ... ?

As a sidenote, you don't have to constantly keep on typing out your 'signature' in every single on of your posts. Use the forum's features. First of all, it looks neater, second of all, it saves you time. "

A.R.B

And Far Worse Than The Rampant Fools! Are The Persistant R,s With Ones Tongues!.................

He was giving you a tip, for gods sake. It's amazing, and scary, that you havn't changed since I was last here.

Support MathsIsFun.com by clicking on the banners.
What music do I listen to? Clicky click

#41 2007-07-09 12:24:12

MathsIsFun
Administrator

Hi Patrick, what have you been up to?

"The physicists defer only to mathematicians, and the mathematicians defer only to God ..."  - Leon M. Lederman

#42 2007-07-09 23:26:16

Anthony.R.Brown
Banned

To Patrick

Quote:" He was giving you a tip, for gods sake. It's amazing, and scary, that you havn't changed since I was last here. "

A.R.B

You have just come Back on the Forum for 5 Minutes! and think you Know what is going on! you need to scroll Back and have a Read! because at the Moment you don't know who I'm talking about!..

#43 2007-07-10 00:47:11

MathsIsFun
Administrator

Anthony, can you stop attacking everyone? If not I may need to place a temporary ban on you, as you are destroying people's enjoyment of the forum.

"The physicists defer only to mathematicians, and the mathematicians defer only to God ..."  - Leon M. Lederman

#44 2007-07-10 01:10:19

Patrick
Real Member

MathsIsFun wrote:

Hi Patrick, what have you been up to?

Lots! Main reason I havn't visited this forum has been two things: School and photography. Really wanted to do well in school, since I had been slacking off the first semester tongue Got an A in all the classes I care for, so I was happy with that smile Only 2 years to go, and then I'm off to university.

Photography. Well, I have always loved to look at photos (not the photoalbum kind, the stuff you see in National Geographic, etc), so I thought, why not give it a go as a hobby? I had gotten $1.000 from school, because I had been a good example to other students(that's what the teachers thought at least. Don't do all my homework, school's just too easy here in Denmark). So coupled that up with some money I had on my bank account, and bought a Canon EOS 400D (aka Digital Rebel XTi in the US) + some random stuff to go with it. It's lots of fun, but takes lots of time as well.

On top of that, there's all the time that goes to going to concerts, bars, clubs, beach, etc., etc. with friends. So this has been a very busy year in my life. Lovely smile Now that school's off, I kinda remembered this site again, and thought I'd drop by and see what was going on!

So, what has been going on? I see the threads on infinity are still alive! faint Not gonna go into that death trap again, that's for sure.

Anthony wrote:

To Patrick

Quote:" He was giving you a tip, for gods sake. It's amazing, and scary, that you havn't changed since I was last here. "

A.R.B

You have just come Back on the Forum for 5 Minutes! and think you Know what is going on! you need to scroll Back and have a Read! because at the Moment you don't know who I'm talking about!..

Back off, FYI I had read the whole thread, including a couple more; fact is that you seem to jump on anyone who disagrees with you. The arguments you(and others of course) were a part of when I temporarily left this forum, were actually one of the reasons I did.

Last edited by Patrick (2007-07-10 01:13:18)

#45 2007-07-11 23:45:12

Anthony.R.Brown
Banned

Some People Never Learn By Their Mistakes!...

#46 2007-07-12 03:24:18

Patrick
Real Member

Anthony.R.Brown wrote:

You are one. What good has treating other people like they're inferior to you ever given you? Other than loneliness and unpopularity. I'm baffled as to what you get out of being here and acting like you do; not friends, that's for sure.

#47 2007-07-13 05:48:59

Anthony.R.Brown
Banned

Quote:" Some People Never Learn By Their Mistakes!... "

A.R.B

Now below is a 100% Proof! Based on previous Replies!.....

#48 2007-07-13 06:46:17

Patrick
Real Member

Anthony.R.Brown wrote:

Quote:" Some People Never Learn By Their Mistakes!... "

A.R.B

Now below is a 100% Proof! Based on previous Replies!.....

Yeah, you're not making any sense.. I'll start talking to you again, when you do.

#49 2007-07-13 09:02:01

Devantè
Real Member

Yes. Banhammer.

#50 2007-07-13 23:39:10

Anthony.R.Brown
Banned

Quote:" Yeah, you're not making any sense.. I'll start talking to you again, when you do. "

A.R.B

Am I Bothered!...I Think Not!!...

Last edited by Anthony.R.Brown (2007-07-13 23:41:44)

Board footer