Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#26 2007-05-19 21:38:17

mathsyperson

Re: Six Dimensional Universe?

Ricky wrote:

Often, it is the questioning of a fundamental assumption which produces science.  There is still a lot we don't know about space, time, and matter.  We know it is possible to convert matter to energy and back.  Perhaps aliens could be massless in such a way?

When you're talking about an unknown, making any assumptions can be a mistake.

Well, I suppose. But it's still very unlikely. I don't see how energy can be sentient.

Besides, I thought that according to logic, the burden of proof for any new statement fell on the stater, and until it is proved satisfactorily then it is not true, or even just undetermined, but false.
Taking the view that everything must be proven or disproven before you believe anything either way opens you up for all kinds of uncertainty.

By the same way that Anthony is counting on the fact that I can't prove a universal negative, I could just as easily assert that there is a teapot with a slight chip at the rim and half-filled with jam, orbiting Neptune. If I believed this with conviction, you'd have a very hard time trying to get me to believe that it's not true, despite the fact that it's clearly not.

Why did the vector cross the road?
It wanted to be normal.

#27 2007-05-19 23:58:24

Anthony.R.Brown
Banned

To Sekky and luca-deltodesco ( sorry I mised the other one on my first post! )

A.R.B

I thought we got Rid of the Fools!!

Last edited by Anthony.R.Brown (2007-05-20 00:07:10)

#28 2007-05-20 00:16:14

Anthony.R.Brown
Banned

To Devante

Quote: "I can tell you that there are more questions than there are answers, as the human mind has always wondered what the solutions and answers to things are."

A.R.B

I would say it has to be 50% for each! because there are so many wrong Answers given to one Question?

#29 2007-05-20 00:18:24

Sekky

Anthony.R.Brown wrote:

because there are so many wrong Answers given to one Question?

You'd know all about that

#30 2007-05-20 00:25:32

Anthony.R.Brown
Banned

To Sekky

Quote" You'd know all about that "

A.R.B

I'm 100% sure you look in the Mirror and argue with yourself Continuously!............

#31 2007-05-20 02:10:58

Devantè
Real Member

Anthony.R.Brown wrote:

I would say it has to be 50% for each! because there are so many wrong Answers given to one Question?

It can't be 50% then, the statement after your first statement contradicts the other, if there is more than a single answer to a question then how can it be split 50%?

And 'wrong' answers are a whole different thing...I was actually talking about correct answers. Well, I wouldn't put it that way, but it should be clear as to what I mean.

#32 2007-05-20 10:35:40

MathsIsFun
Administrator

It is commonly believed that Science will go on forever, because we keep finding new Questions ... but what if a time comes when we understand the basic structure of the Universe, we understand and can manipulate our Genes so no disease is unknown, and so on ... ?

"The physicists defer only to mathematicians, and the mathematicians defer only to God ..."  - Leon M. Lederman

#33 2007-05-21 00:34:26

Anthony.R.Brown
Banned

To

Quote: "It can't be 50% then, the statement after your first statement contradicts the other, if there is more than a single answer to a question then how can it be split 50%?

And 'wrong' answers are a whole different thing...I was actually talking about correct answers. Well, I wouldn't put it that way, but it should be clear as to what I mean.

A.R.B

Now we know what Answers we are talking about! but this can go on forever!! when no one can say for sure what the correct Answers are for every Question?

#34 2007-06-23 11:33:23

tika

George Sparling of the University of Pittsburgh has proposed a six-dimensional solution to space-time. I only started to read it, but couldn't wait to post this.

??? ???

Board footer