Math Is Fun Forum
  Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#26 2007-01-21 01:32:43

Anthony.R.Brown
Banned
Registered: 2006-11-16
Posts: 516

Re: INFINITE 0.9 <> 1 PROOF By,Anthony.R.Brown,15/01/07.

First to Everyone!.......N1 is a Single Value i.e 0.9

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I would now like to Add another Variable to this Example! N4

This is for anyone who feels it's not possible to place another Number between N2 and N3.

N4 = “The Maximum possible Number of .9's”

Anyone who feels it’s not possible to place another Number between N2 and N3, all they have to do to prove how they feel! Is giving a Value for N4.

So now we have!.....

N2..............( Here between N2 and N3 there are an Infinite Amount of Numbers! Because N2 is an
Endless stream of Numbers!).............N3. 

N2..............( How Ever! If..N4...is proved! Then the above is not True!).............N3. 

N2..............( But as it Stands!..N4...Can have + .9's i.e More .9's Between! Because N2 is Infinite!).............N3.

Offline

#27 2007-01-21 01:44:14

Patrick
Real Member
Registered: 2006-02-24
Posts: 1,005

Re: INFINITE 0.9 <> 1 PROOF By,Anthony.R.Brown,15/01/07.

Can't you just write something like:

And keep the explanations out of the expressions? Because I didn't understand anything of what you just wrote.

Last edited by Patrick (2007-01-21 01:44:51)


Support MathsIsFun.com by clicking on the banners.
What music do I listen to? Clicky click

Offline

#28 2007-01-21 01:49:23

Anthony.R.Brown
Banned
Registered: 2006-11-16
Posts: 516

Re: INFINITE 0.9 <> 1 PROOF By,Anthony.R.Brown,15/01/07.

To Patrick!

Can't you just write something like: A<B<C<D

"That looks well Confusing!!

Explanations are needed at first! then After Back to the Example! a New Variable has been Add!

Offline

#29 2007-01-21 23:55:17

Anthony.R.Brown
Banned
Registered: 2006-11-16
Posts: 516

Re: INFINITE 0.9 <> 1 PROOF By,Anthony.R.Brown,15/01/07.

LET'S MAKE THIS EVEN MORE CLEARER!

N1 = 0.9  “This is a Single Number Value”

N2 = Infinite 0.9  “This is an Infinite Number!”

N3 = 1  “This is a Single Number Value”

N4 = “The Maximum possible Number of .9's ?”


N1..............( Here between N1 and N3 there are no other Numbers! Because N1 is the Last  Single Number! Before ).............N3. 

N2..............( Here between N2 and N3 there are an Infinite Amount of Numbers! Because N2 is an Endless stream of Numbers! Before ).............N3.


Below if Anyone can Give! and Prove! a Value for N4 Then the Above will be False! and not True! for then another .9 will not be able to be Inserted Between N2..and..N3.


N2..............(.N4.)...........N3.

Offline

#30 2007-01-22 00:29:30

Dross
Member
Registered: 2006-08-24
Posts: 325

Re: INFINITE 0.9 <> 1 PROOF By,Anthony.R.Brown,15/01/07.

Anthony.R.Brown wrote:

N1..............( Here between N1 and N3 there are no other Numbers! Because N1 is the Last  Single Number! Before ).............N3. 

N2..............( Here between N2 and N3 there are an Infinite Amount of Numbers! Because N2 is an Endless stream of Numbers! Before ).............N3.

First off, you're saying that N1 is "the largest single number" before N3 - you clearly don't mean that.

Unless you're trying to say that a "9" is the "last" digit in 0.9999... - when in fact there is no "last" digit since the digits never end.

And in your second statement, you say that "there are an infinite amount of numbers between N2 and N3" - please note that having a number in your decimal expansion does not count as having that number "between" yourself and a larger number.

Have I got your meaning here? Am I at least understanding what you're trying to say?


Bad speling makes me [sic]

Offline

#31 2007-01-22 00:44:07

Anthony.R.Brown
Banned
Registered: 2006-11-16
Posts: 516

Re: INFINITE 0.9 <> 1 PROOF By,Anthony.R.Brown,15/01/07.

To Dross

Quote:"Unless you're trying to say that a "9" is the "last" digit in 0.9999... - when in fact there is no "last" digit since the digits never end."

A.R.B

N1 = 0.9  “This is a Single Number Value” And Yes! .9 is The Last Digit! Because its not an
Infinite Number the same as N2

Dross Quote:
"And in your second statement, you say that "there are an infinite amount of numbers between N2 and N3" - please note that having a number in your decimal expansion does not count as having that number "between" yourself and a larger number"

ARB
N4 is the Variable to Represent the .9,s which is Between N2  and N3
Because N4 is an Infinite number then Any amount of .9,s can be Inserted to Represent N4
Unless! " Anyone can Give! and Prove! a Value for N4 "

Offline

#32 2007-01-22 00:50:34

Dross
Member
Registered: 2006-08-24
Posts: 325

Re: INFINITE 0.9 <> 1 PROOF By,Anthony.R.Brown,15/01/07.

Anthony.R.Brown wrote:

To Dross

Quote:"Unless you're trying to say that a "9" is the "last" digit in 0.9999... - when in fact there is no "last" digit since the digits never end."

A.R.B

N1 = 0.9  “This is a Single Number Value” And Yes! .9 is The Last Digit! Because its not an
Infinite Number the same as N2

Right, this first part - what on earth do you mean by 0.9 is the last digit? Do you mean the last number that can be represented by a "0." and then a single digit on it's own? That doesn't mean anything. What we're after is a number that is greater than 0.9999... and less than 1. This will prove that 0.9999... is not equal to 1.
However, there is no such number between 0.999... and 1. At all.

And the second part of your post didn't even make the usual ammount of sense, so I can't really reply to it.


Bad speling makes me [sic]

Offline

#33 2007-01-22 01:10:20

Anthony.R.Brown
Banned
Registered: 2006-11-16
Posts: 516

Re: INFINITE 0.9 <> 1 PROOF By,Anthony.R.Brown,15/01/07.

N1 = 0.9  “This is a Single Number Value”

and is the last Single Value then 0.2,0.3,0.4,0.5,0.6,0.7,0.8, Then N1 and Then 1

Offline

#34 2007-01-22 01:12:38

Dross
Member
Registered: 2006-08-24
Posts: 325

Re: INFINITE 0.9 <> 1 PROOF By,Anthony.R.Brown,15/01/07.

Anthony.R.Brown wrote:

N1 = 0.9  “This is a Single Number Value”

and is the last Single Value then 0.2,0.3,0.4,0.5,0.6,0.7,0.8, Then N1 and Then 1

Right - okay, agreed! Totally correct! Yay!

...except that's not the number we're looking for. We're after a number that satisfies the following criteria:

1) it is greater than 0.9999...
2) it is less than 1.

Can you provide such a number, Anthony? 0.9 may be the last single digit number before 1 (in base 10), but it is not the number we're after.


Bad speling makes me [sic]

Offline

#35 2007-01-22 01:16:37

Anthony.R.Brown
Banned
Registered: 2006-11-16
Posts: 516

Re: INFINITE 0.9 <> 1 PROOF By,Anthony.R.Brown,15/01/07.

To Dross!

Your Little RUN! ended in the Last Post! on Another Post!

Offline

#36 2007-01-22 19:37:29

Devantè
Real Member
Registered: 2006-07-14
Posts: 6,400

Re: INFINITE 0.9 <> 1 PROOF By,Anthony.R.Brown,15/01/07.

Can you please stop posting the same exact thing in two topics? Not only is that useless, but it encourages and/or influences others to do the same. You don't have to post a message more than once for someone to see it. And look; Mathsyperson closed/locked the last thread. I'm pretty sure that the odds of that happening again are increasing...so, in future, please try to use only a single thread to get your point across. And I think it is a good thing that Mathsyperson closed down the other thread, too, as we would've ended up with people posting the same exact thing thrice in all three of the threads. And I can foresee that this thread will be used for the same purpose as the locked one.

Offline

#37 2007-01-23 00:15:08

Anthony.R.Brown
Banned
Registered: 2006-11-16
Posts: 516

Re: INFINITE 0.9 <> 1 PROOF By,Anthony.R.Brown,15/01/07.

Ok! Let,s Get this Post Back to it's Subject!

Please! could All Questions Only use the Variables/Numbers I have put forward Below!
Then we all have a Chance of Understanding What is Going on! And not Drift off into Other Examples! Not related to this Post.


The Variables below A & B are Both Single Start Values.

A = 1

B = 0.9

Below Proves A is Infinitely > B And Gives The Variable C This Value.

C = A / B = 1.1111111111......

Below is How Infinite 0.9 is Calculated.

0.9 x C = 0.9999999999 ......

Below Proves Infinite 0.9 is <>1 By Using The Original Variables A & B.

A x C = 1.1111111111 ......

B x C = 0.9999999999 ......

Offline

#38 2007-01-23 00:33:24

Anthony.R.Brown
Banned
Registered: 2006-11-16
Posts: 516

Re: INFINITE 0.9 <> 1 PROOF By,Anthony.R.Brown,15/01/07.

To Devanté

Quote:

"If anyone wants me to personally pick out the errors in this thread, I will."

ARB

Please Fire Away...........

Offline

#39 2007-01-23 00:57:24

Dross
Member
Registered: 2006-08-24
Posts: 325

Re: INFINITE 0.9 <> 1 PROOF By,Anthony.R.Brown,15/01/07.

Anthony.R.Brown wrote:

A = 1

B = 0.9

Below Proves A is Infinitely > B And Gives The Variable C This Value.

C = A / B = 1.1111111111......

Below is How Infinite 0.9 is Calculated.

0.9 x C = 0.9999999999 ......

Using only those variables defined in the above post:

1 = A = B x (A / B) = B x C = 0.9 x C = 0.9999999....

So 1 = 0.99999999....

Is there a flaw in the above? If so, where?


Bad speling makes me [sic]

Offline

#40 2007-01-24 10:13:36

MathsIsFun
Administrator
Registered: 2005-01-21
Posts: 7,534

Re: INFINITE 0.9 <> 1 PROOF By,Anthony.R.Brown,15/01/07.

(Duplicate posts removed)


"The physicists defer only to mathematicians, and the mathematicians defer only to God ..."  - Leon M. Lederman

Offline

#41 2007-01-24 10:34:25

luca-deltodesco
Member
Registered: 2006-05-05
Posts: 1,470

Re: INFINITE 0.9 <> 1 PROOF By,Anthony.R.Brown,15/01/07.

aw, but it was fun watching anthony completely ignore dross and post the same thing again tongue


The Beginning Of All Things To End.
The End Of All Things To Come.

Offline

#42 2007-01-24 12:13:55

Dross
Member
Registered: 2006-08-24
Posts: 325

Re: INFINITE 0.9 <> 1 PROOF By,Anthony.R.Brown,15/01/07.

luca-deltodesco wrote:

aw, but it was fun watching anthony completely ignore dross and post the same thing again tongue

Your last post had me laughing out loud, Luca - nice one! big_smile

Last edited by Dross (2007-01-24 12:14:13)


Bad speling makes me [sic]

Offline

#43 2007-01-24 16:20:07

John E. Franklin
Member
Registered: 2005-08-29
Posts: 3,562

Re: INFINITE 0.9 <> 1 PROOF By,Anthony.R.Brown,15/01/07.

A little off the subject, I just punched up this into my calculator:
1/.99 = 1.010101...
1/.999 = 1.001001001...
1/.9999 = 1.000100010001...
1/.99999... = 1.0000000000000000000000000000000000... So maybe you guys are right.
I guess it all depends if you can reason with the infinite.


igloo myrtilles fourmis

Offline

#44 2007-01-24 22:09:34

Anthony.R.Brown
Banned
Registered: 2006-11-16
Posts: 516

Re: INFINITE 0.9 <> 1 PROOF By,Anthony.R.Brown,15/01/07.

Both of the #diot,s following Posts! should have been REMOVED! why not!

["aw, but it was fun watching anthony completely ignore dross and post the same thing again tongue"]

["Your last post had me laughing out loud, Luca - nice one! "]

do I detect favouritism! for #diot,s on this Site!!

Offline

#45 2007-01-24 22:13:02

Anthony.R.Brown
Banned
Registered: 2006-11-16
Posts: 516

Re: INFINITE 0.9 <> 1 PROOF By,Anthony.R.Brown,15/01/07.

To John E. Franklin

Quote:
"A little off the subject, I just punched up this into my calculator:
1/.99 = 1.010101...
1/.999 = 1.001001001...
1/.9999 = 1.000100010001...
1/.99999... = 1.0000000000000000000000000000000000... So maybe you guys are right.
I guess it all depends if you can reason with the infinite."

ARB

Hi! The first Calculation is wrong!   1/0.9 = 1.11111111111............

The rest of my Proof! Speaks for itself!

Offline

#46 2007-01-25 03:25:08

luca-deltodesco
Member
Registered: 2006-05-05
Posts: 1,470

Re: INFINITE 0.9 <> 1 PROOF By,Anthony.R.Brown,15/01/07.

ehm anthony, he never said anything about 1/0.9, his first result was via the calculation of 1/0.99 not 1/0.9

and no it doesnt, it is not a proof, you have proven if anythin the exact opposite that 0.999... = 1, not that it doesnt


The Beginning Of All Things To End.
The End Of All Things To Come.

Offline

#47 2007-01-25 04:01:18

Devantè
Real Member
Registered: 2006-07-14
Posts: 6,400

Re: INFINITE 0.9 <> 1 PROOF By,Anthony.R.Brown,15/01/07.

Anthony, you've been calling people 'idiots' for quite a long time. Maybe there could be a better way to settle this?

Last edited by Devanté (2007-01-25 06:54:08)

Offline

#48 2007-01-25 05:16:49

Ricky
Moderator
Registered: 2005-12-04
Posts: 3,791

Re: INFINITE 0.9 <> 1 PROOF By,Anthony.R.Brown,15/01/07.

Anthony.R.Brown, we like to keep discussions on the forum civilized.  We don't like those who don't.  Please, refrain from name calling or your future posts may be revised to remove such statements.

As to your complaint:

Both of the #diot,s following Posts! should have been REMOVED! why not!

["aw, but it was fun watching anthony completely ignore dross and post the same thing again tongue"]

["Your last post had me laughing out loud, Luca - nice one! "]


The first post was talking about things which happened in this topic, and thus, were on topic.  The second was a comment on the first.

As to Devante's post:

Anthony, you've been calling people 'idiots' for quite a long time. Do this a lot more and you could get banned from the forum.

Any member will not be banned unless they are disrupting the producitivity of the forum.  This will be decided upon the moderators and admin(s) at the appropriate time.  Also, plenty of warnings will be given before such action is taken.  In short, ARB, you need not at this present time be worried about being banned.

- Ricky, moderator


"In the real world, this would be a problem.  But in mathematics, we can just define a place where this problem doesn't exist.  So we'll go ahead and do that now..."

Offline

#49 2007-01-26 00:34:06

Anthony.R.Brown
Banned
Registered: 2006-11-16
Posts: 516

Re: INFINITE 0.9 <> 1 PROOF By,Anthony.R.Brown,15/01/07.

To Devanté

Quote:

"Anthony, you've been calling people 'idiots' for quite a long time. Maybe there could be a better way to settle this?"

ARB

YES! There is! just put forward a Counter Proof! to this Post!...................................................

Offline

#50 2007-01-26 03:14:30

Ricky
Moderator
Registered: 2005-12-04
Posts: 3,791

Re: INFINITE 0.9 <> 1 PROOF By,Anthony.R.Brown,15/01/07.

ARB, your request for proofs has been met.  We have provided many.  You, to what I have seen, have yet to make a comprehendable objection to these proofs.

Just because we can not convince you, does not mean we are wrong.  The same goes with you convincing us.  However, in order to have a dialog about the question, one must use proper communication.  This is where there exist problems.  Through your use of abhorrent grammar, punctuation, and poorly defined syntax, confusion is created.  I myself many times had only guesses as to what you were trying to say.

In order to improve this situation, you must make an effort to be more verbal. 

But calling people idiots because they can not convince you that you are wrong only goes to show so much about yourself.

And as a side note..

Why is comprehendable not a word?  Dang it!  It should be!


"In the real world, this would be a problem.  But in mathematics, we can just define a place where this problem doesn't exist.  So we'll go ahead and do that now..."

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB