Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#26 2006-10-09 02:13:30

Devantè
Real Member

Re: Pi

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Continuum_hypothesis

Just for reference if anyone doesn't know what the continuum hypothesis is.

#27 2006-10-09 14:46:08

Toky0Drift404

Karl_Hungus323 wrote:

http://media.collegehumor.com/ch6/1/9/c … fb9368.jpg
*In response to Toky0Drift404*

I sincerely hoped you meant Georg Cantor (as opposed to Geog Cantor, who is a Nihilist of notable pedigree).  Rather than focusing on Georg Cantor's mythical continuum hypothesis, we should focus on Carl Friedrich Gauss' theories of Flux, specifically Cylindrical Flux Capacitance.  It is primarily through this pivotal theory that we truly ascertain the various variables regarding the enigmatic number pi.  While it may lull at times, the reading becomes suprisingly exhillirating while listening to the 80's supergroup Foreigner... not David "I was That Guy in the movie Labyrinth" Bowie.

Yes it is correct I meant "Georg", thank you for you correction, as I do not think that any of us want to delve into the history of that unsavory Geog character.

Now on to the subject matter, it is true that the mathematical concept of flux, be it cylindrical or any geometric shape, has its legitimate uses it does not hold a canlde to the effervescent truth potentially held in the continuum hypothesis. If you want a real world example, it would be like a happy three cylinder geo metro bopping along on the highway only to have its doors blown off by a Mark IV twin turbo Supra running 30psi of boost. There is really no comparison.

While the truth value of the continuum hypothesis has yet to be ascertained, that's not to say that it is not useful. Can you prove that true love exists? But does it happen everyday nonetheless? I rest my case.

Yes, my avatar is that of the biggest balla (go H-town!) to come out of the 80s.

cool:cool:eekup

Toyota-supra-Ej1Z.jpg

-- "infinity in a grain of sand, eternity in an hour" (William Blake)

Last edited by Toky0Drift404 (2006-10-09 14:49:13)

"To drift race is to truly understand one's inner being" - Takashi san

#28 2006-10-10 15:46:56

Karl_Hungus323

This is in response to Toky0Drift404's diarrhea of the mouth:

Mark IV twin turbo Supra? I have seen destruction derbies involving multiple rocket-sleds on rails hauling dynamite more efficient and organized than that piece.  Seriously, you must be a Nihilist, for that car is going south faster than an interior decorator from San Francisco.  We all know that the Japanese never deliver for free… including Toyota.  Their slogan ought to be “Hello, I’m Mr. Toyota. So don’t expect nothing for free at least from me.”

If you want to expect everything, you might consider driving a stealthy supercharged (it’s stock) Buick Grand National down the Autobahn while listening to Ted Nugent live at Rockpalast (1976)

… And by the way, Darth Vader is the best avatar ever.
250px-Buick-Grand-National-'87.jpg

#29 2006-10-10 16:19:20

Toky0Drift404

Karl_Hungus323 wrote:

This is in response to Toky0Drift404's diarrhea of the mouth:

Mark IV twin turbo Supra? I have seen destruction derbies involving multiple rocket-sleds on rails hauling dynamite more efficient and organized than that piece.  Seriously, you must be a Nihilist, for that car is going south faster than an interior decorator from San Francisco.  We all know that the Japanese never deliver for free… including Toyota.  Their slogan ought to be “Hello, I’m Mr. Toyota. So don’t expect nothing for free at least from me.”

If you want to expect everything, you might consider driving a stealthy supercharged (it’s stock) Buick Grand National down the Autobahn while listening to Ted Nugent live at Rockpalast (1976)

… And by the way, Darth Vader is the best avatar ever.
http://content.answers.com/main/content … al-'87.jpg

Current mood: mildly perturbed    swear

Boy I'm going to need to turn up some Coheed and Cambria to keep my cool over this one. Not only do you appear to be ignorant of the art of automobile engineering, you seem to be quite expressive of it as well. So it can turn the back wheels real fast, big deal  sleep. If that's all that went into cars then a, electric motor sitting on a table with a wheel on it could outperform this supposed race vehicle you propose. Not only that, but anyone who has half a brain hemisphere about cars will know that pound for pound (and supras tend to have less of these, except they call them kilograms) Japanese cars are far superior, since 1978 at the latest. You sir ( and I use that term lightly) appear to just be one of many ignorant lampreys clinging to a false era of American pride that really ended decades ago. Hurr hurr, I'm a dumb jock and my dad is going to buy me a Ford Mustang GT! Now I can look like EVERY OTHER MOUTH BREATHER on I-10 in the morning. And most of them are automatics, meaning that the torque must first go trhough a converter.

You do know that the supra was originally a classified project right? Something of that magnitude, such heavenly euphoria had never been conceived before. The government was honestly afraid of what would happen if the people got such power, which is probably why they stopped making them but the dream will NEVER DIE.

I think you might want to take your exuberant jingoism and learn some cold facts.

You also fully succeeded in derailing this topic, I would like to get back to the topic at hand.

suprarb4.jpg

Last edited by Toky0Drift404 (2006-10-10 16:20:14)

"To drift race is to truly understand one's inner being" - Takashi san

#30 2006-10-10 18:49:37

MathsIsFun
Administrator

(I am looking forward to the next installment, just keep it clean!)

"The physicists defer only to mathematicians, and the mathematicians defer only to God ..."  - Leon M. Lederman

Board footer