Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2006-10-01 05:08:33

Devantè
Real Member

Guess the Guest!

I've seen this game at other forums. There aren't many games on forums that don't end up with spam stamped all over them, so I've had a think about this first.

Basically, my idea is that we could create a game of Guess the Guest. This would be similar to Wink Murder, except without murdering anyone. Obviously, you would have to guess who the guest is. Oh, and you moderators can't cheat by trying to match members' IP Addresses...

So, say I made up a name, or perhaps just put in 'Guest' for the guest's username. There are several tips to hide who you are:

-Type different to how you normally type.
- Talk like someone else on the forum.
- There is actually another really clever option, but I won't reveal it to you.

There is also a points system. The person who guesses the least amount of times gets 10 points, the person with the second least amount of guesses gets 5, the third gets 3, the fourth get 2, and the fifth gets 1. If you guess more than once in any post, you are disqualified - And no, you may not cheat in any way, though I don't see how you could if you weren't a moderator.

To prevent spam, I'll delete this topic and start a new one when this game is over, or, have it closed and moved somewhere appropriate. So, any hits for this game, or should it just be another idea that sinks to the bottom of the forum?

I probably don't need to make a set of rules, but by reading this you would probably understand how it worked. If you require a set of rules, then post a request in this thread. I am hoping for this game to start as soon as possible, but obviously I need permission from MathsIsFun or MathsIsFun's moderating team.

#2 2006-10-01 05:21:31

mathsyperson

Re: Guess the Guest!

You don't need permission to start a game. One of us would just delete it if we found that you'd started a game that was unsuitable. I'm sure you wouldn't anyway.

This sounds quite fun. Especially for the 'Guest', who gets to type in a different personality. I sign up, and we'll see how this goes. I'll do my best not to cheat. smile

Oh, and I moved the topic to Dark Discussions because that's where all the other forum games are.

Why did the vector cross the road?
It wanted to be normal.

#3 2006-10-01 05:24:18

Patrick
Real Member

I'd be up for it!

Support MathsIsFun.com by clicking on the banners.
What music do I listen to? Clicky click

#4 2006-10-01 05:28:59

Devantè
Real Member

Thanks, guys. smile

Playing

Mathsyperson
Patrick

---

A few more players would be ideal to start, though.

I just hope it doesn't get too out of hand...

#5 2006-10-01 07:17:34

espeon
Real Member

I wanna play!Note the capitals! THE CAPITALS!

Presenting the Prinny dance.
Take this dood! Huh doood!!! HUH DOOOOD!?!? DOOD HUH!!!!!! DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#6 2006-10-01 08:17:38

Devantè
Real Member

Playing

Mathsyperson
Patrick
Espeon

---

Well, there's something you don't see every day...

#7 2006-10-01 14:22:25

justlookingforthemoment

Okay, I'll play. smile

I don't understand the points system, or who (one person, everyone?) posts as a guest, but I'm sure it will become clearer once we start.

Looks like we'll have the same people playing as Wink Murder.

#8 2006-10-01 18:07:41

luca-deltodesco

ill play

The Beginning Of All Things To End.
The End Of All Things To Come.

#9 2006-10-01 18:45:01

Devantè
Real Member

justlookingforthemoment wrote:

Okay, I'll play. smile

I don't understand the points system, or who (one person, everyone?) posts as a guest, but I'm sure it will become clearer once we start.

Looks like we'll have the same people playing as Wink Murder.

The points system is just like a points system you get for coming 1st, 2nd, 3rd, etc.

Let's say you can guess who the guest is in 3 tries. What could happen is that players could be private messaged when they've guessed correctly.

There are a few more rules, though...

If three players have guessed another player when that player is actually not the guest, then the person who has been guessed three times is automatically 'out' until the next game.

Also, you may only guess once per day, so choose wisely.

There is a special bonus if you can guess the guest straight away - Probably 10-25 points.

The person who guesses in the least amount of tries gets 5 points, the next person who gets it after that gets 3, the next, 2, and the next 1. 5th, 6th, 7th, etc. do not get any points.

Playing

Mathsyperson
Patrick
Espeon
Justlookingforthemoment
Luca-Deltodesco

---

Looks like we're almost ready to start. Maybe one or two more people. smile

If we can't get any more people, then we'll start.

#10 2006-10-02 03:32:48

espeon
Real Member

ok what does the guest have to post and where? also make the guest say it as guest murder lol smile

Take this dood! Huh doood!!! HUH DOOOOD!?!? DOOD HUH!!!!!! DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#11 2006-10-02 04:00:22

Devantè
Real Member

No, 'Guest Murder' would be considered playgurism among others, because there is already a game named 'Wink Murder'.

There is one more thing...

Every two days, the guest can pick a number (in this case from 1-5, depending on how many players there are). You will be each issued a number via PM or email. The guest will not know which numbers belong to which members, making it random. Let's say Mathsyperson was 5 - And the guest picked 5. Mathsyperson would be eliminated. Once that person is eliminated (no, not dead), they must post that they are eliminated and when they were eliminated.

Guests will post here, in this thread, obviously.

Another tip - Try not to make it too obvious that you are pretending to be someone else. If you talked with l33t or php4r all the time with every word, then it would be easy to spot you. Try to type exactly as one of the other players would.

#12 2006-10-02 04:13:14

espeon
Real Member

great so if someone siad lol 5 people would pick me and id be dead... also whos going to be the host then? because it would show who the guest is if they emailed everyone

#13 2006-10-02 04:43:04

Devantè
Real Member

I'll be the host for the first game, then I'll pick someone who seems rather good at the game or knows the rules.

No Espeon, you misunderstood. Basically, I give you all a number, and if the guest randomly picks a number within a 2-day period, and that number happens to be, let's say Patrick's, then Patrick is automatically eliminated and has to post that he is eliminated and when he was eliminated.

#14 2006-10-02 05:50:47

espeon
Real Member

no i mean as in the second part i mean the another tip part. it said type exactly like other players would and you also said that if like everyone else voted against me then i would die anyway

#15 2006-10-02 05:59:17

Devantè
Real Member

No, again you completely misunderstand. Firstly, you don't have to act like someone else. Second, there is no 'voting'. Maybe someone else should explain it to you, because this is the last time I'm going to explain it in detail.

I am going to issue each of you a number, and so will the guest. You must keep your number a secret from everyone, because the guest is going to have a number, too. If that guest were to PM me with a number, then the player with that number is automatically eliminated within a 2-day period. If you were to guess who the guest is before you get eliminated, however, t hen you win, and you get points depending on the place you come. I will say who won, but I will not reveal who the guest is. The guest can actually keep randomly sending me numbers once every two days, until all the numbers available have been picked. If there are two people left, then the game is over, and the both get 0 points.

Now, are there any questions?

#16 2006-10-02 06:06:43

espeon
Real Member

no im not talking about numbers! i understand that perfectly! just when u said

'If three players have guessed another player when that player is actually not the guest, then the person who has been guessed three times is automatically 'out' until the next game.'

im saying if someone kept saying lol i like do lol and then loads of people vote me then ill be out!

NOTHING TO DO WITH NUMBERS!

#17 2006-10-02 06:09:42

Devantè
Real Member

Oh, I see. Well, there's nothing I can do about that, sorry...

#18 2006-10-02 06:15:53

espeon
Real Member

thank you!

#19 2006-10-02 20:05:04

justlookingforthemoment

Devanté wrote:

playgurism

big_smile

When do we start? Enough people?

#20 2006-10-03 04:13:41

Devantè
Real Member

We can start now, if you like.

I'm going to assume everyone is eagerly waiting to start. smile

I'm going to PM the player who will be our guest now.

#21 2006-10-03 04:16:20

espeon
Real Member

me me do me!!! meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee ! meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

#22 2006-10-03 04:22:42

Devantè
Real Member

justlookingforthemoment wrote:
Devanté wrote:

playgurism

big_smile

When do we start? Enough people?

sad

I can't beleeve i missspeled thatt.

Should be 'playgiarism'.

Kick me if that is wrong again.

Oh, the guest has been chosen.

Let the games...

BEGIN!!!

#23 2006-10-03 04:28:31

espeon
Real Member

waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa its not me ;( imnever going to be it sad

#24 2006-10-03 06:56:31

Zach

Just to disrupt the flow; I'm in next game.

Boy let me tell you what:
I bet you didn't know it, but I'm a fiddle player too.
And if you'd care to take a dare, I'll make a bet with you.

#25 2006-10-03 07:57:27

Devantè
Real Member

Well, I could easily place you in since the game hasn't 'technically' started completely, since the guest has not posted yet.

I'm issuing you a number via PM.

Board footer