Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#476 2011-08-25 22:48:38

anonimnystefy
Real Member

Re: Brain Teasers

hi ganesh

sure,take your time.it took me three hours to answer all of those so i don't expect you to be any quicker.
also,i later noticed the mistake of numbering the problems,so it wil take even longer to recognise which question is which.
i must also warn you that today i will continue solving the unsolved problems from this topic.

“Here lies the reader who will never open this book. He is forever dead.
“Taking a new step, uttering a new word, is what people fear most.” ― Fyodor Dostoyevsky, Crime and Punishment
The knowledge of some things as a function of age is a delta function.

#477 2011-08-25 23:50:30

anonimnystefy
Real Member

hi ganesh

here's more.when you have time check if it is correct:

“Taking a new step, uttering a new word, is what people fear most.” ― Fyodor Dostoyevsky, Crime and Punishment

#478 2011-12-28 03:29:10

anonimnystefy
Real Member

hi ganesh

could you check the solutions i posted?

#479 2012-02-25 12:51:20

anonimnystefy
Real Member

Hi ganesh

Anything on these yet?

#480 2012-02-27 01:06:50

Jai Ganesh
Administrator

Hi anonimnystefy,

The solutions #230, #248, #249, #252 are correct. Excellent!

I shall more problems soon.

It appears to me that if one wants to make progress in mathematics, one should study the masters and not the pupils. - Niels Henrik Abel.

Nothing is better than reading and gaining more and more knowledge - Stephen William Hawking.

#481 2012-02-27 01:35:39

anonimnystefy
Real Member

Thanks ganesh!

These waited a long time to be checked. I'm glad you finally did it. But take your time!

#482 2015-11-03 15:49:01

Jai Ganesh
Administrator

#384.  'How quickly can you find out what is so unusual about this paragraph? It looks so ordinary that you would think that nothing is wrong with it at all, and, in fact, nothing is. But it is unusual. Why? If you study it and think about it, you may find out, but I am not going to assist you in anyway. You must do it
without coaching. No doubt, if you work at it for long, it will dawn on you. Who Knows? Go to work and try your skill. Par is about half an hour.' Quimby Sereye, the editor of a local magazine, is at his wit's end. The above puzzle was submitted without an answer, and Quimby's been trying to solve it for over a week. Day and night, wherever he goes, Quimby's been studying it without success. Can you solve this perplexing problem and bring tranquility back into Quimby's life?

It appears to me that if one wants to make progress in mathematics, one should study the masters and not the pupils. - Niels Henrik Abel.

Nothing is better than reading and gaining more and more knowledge - Stephen William Hawking.

#483 2015-11-03 23:05:02

bobbym
bumpkin

Hi;

In mathematics, you don't understand things. You just get used to them.
If it ain't broke, fix it until it is.
Always satisfy the Prime Directive of getting the right answer above all else.

#484 2015-11-04 01:21:16

Jai Ganesh
Administrator

Hi bobbym,

The solution #384 is correct! Stupendous!

#385.  Trusting Ned Armstrong, the owner of Ned's Wonderful World of Sports, made his first sale the other day to a somewhat suspicious looking gentleman. The customer purchased a package of golf balls for $12 and paid Ned with a $20 bill. Ned was all out of singles so he went next door to the bakery to change it; then he gave the customer his purchase and $8 in change. Ten minutes later the baker came in complaining that Ned had given him a counterfeit bill. Ned took back the bogus twenty and gave the baker a $20 bill from the register. Now, the big question in Ned's mind was just how much money had he lost on his first sale? Keep in mind that the marup on a package of golf balls is 100 percent.

#485 2015-12-15 05:39:18

bobbym
bumpkin

Hi;

In mathematics, you don't understand things. You just get used to them.
If it ain't broke, fix it until it is.
Always satisfy the Prime Directive of getting the right answer above all else.

Board footer