Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#126 2015-05-16 03:02:40

math9maniac

Re: What does the future hold in store for mankind and the world?

Agnishom wrote:

I did not mean to sound offensive, sorry.

I have read parts of the Bible

There's no dot so I thought you didn't finish typing. Also I couldn't figure out which post this replies. No hard feelings.

Only a friend tells you your face is dirty.

#127 2015-05-16 11:17:15

David

Micah's name means Who is like Jehovah, does that make him God?

His dominion is an everlasting dominion, Which shall not pass away, And His kingdom the one Which shall not be destroyed.

#128 2015-05-16 11:28:52

David

math9maniac wrote:

@Agnishom, don't you think you're jumping ahead of things? You're judging the book even before knowing what it says. This book quotes Bible texts and gives a deep and accurate understanding of them. In any case, if you don't what to search through the book, then LET SCRIPTURE EXPLAIN SCRIPTURE. The best way to learn about the Bible is by examining the Bible itself. While at that, you must also believe and acknowledge that you will know the truth only from the Bible and not what anybody can postulate.

The JW believes the Michael is Jesus and Jesus is not God. Do you believe in that?

For unto which of the angels said he at any time, Thou art my Son, this day have I begotten thee? And again, I will be to him a Father, and he shall be to me a  Son? - Hebrews 1:5

To which of the angels did God ever say,
“Sit at my right hand
    until I make your enemies
    a footstool for your feet”?
Are not all angels ministering spirits sent to serve those who will inherit salvation?
- Hebrews 1:13-14

His dominion is an everlasting dominion, Which shall not pass away, And His kingdom the one Which shall not be destroyed.

#129 2015-05-16 19:43:44

math9maniac

David wrote:

Seems I've been misunderstood. No one is saying that Micheal and God are one and the same person simply because his name means 'Who is like God?' 1 Thessalonians 4:16 says that Micheal is the archangel and testifies also that he is  the Lord Jesus Christ. One person can have more than one name, each used on a different occasion, right?

#130 2015-05-16 19:48:04

math9maniac

@David, do you think the Witnesses are dangerous? I believe the truth is in the Bible itself not what man thinks. I would associate with any who believes the Bible (God's Word) is truth and bases his beliefs on that. I believe that's exactly what the JWs are known for.

#131 2015-05-17 01:32:44

David

math9maniac wrote:
David wrote:

Seems I've been misunderstood. No one is saying that Micheal and God are one and the same person simply because his name means 'Who is like God?' 1 Thessalonians 4:16 says that Micheal is the archangel and testifies also that he is  the Lord Jesus Christ. One person can have more than one name, each used on a different occasion, right?

If Micheal the archangel is Jesus the Christ, and Jesus had said that: "I and my Father are one.". Jesus says he is one with the Father, yet you claimed that Michael and God are not one.

Also, I did not say the Jehovah Witness are dangerous. From what I understand, the Jehovah Witness refuses to bow or knee to Jesus. Is that correct? I cannot agree that Michael and Jesus are the same person. Jesus is also known as the Word, the Word was God.

#132 2015-05-17 01:48:58

David

math9maniac wrote:

@David, do you think the Witnesses are dangerous? I believe the truth is in the Bible itself not what man thinks. I would associate with any who believes the Bible (God's Word) is truth and bases his beliefs on that. I believe that's exactly what the JWs are known for.

Hi math9maniac,
"I believe the truth is in the Bible itself not what man thinks", I'm afraid you are following what man thinks. The Jehovah's Witnesses are know for setting up false prophecy that never comes to light, and having their own version of the bible.

I am, however, like any other sinner could be wrong. My advise to you is to look for the fruit of the spirit. Read a bible other than the JWs version. Like the KJV online here https://www.biblegateway.com/versions/K … KJV-Bible/. Read the bible, not the watchtower. If you find the bible hard to understand, than pray and ask for guidance from the Holy Spirit. The bible is all that is needed, it is both the cup and the water.

#133 2015-05-17 08:13:15

math9maniac

Hi David;
I'm not implying that you say or believe the JWs are dangerous. I only want to know if that's what it seems to you or that's what you think.

Yes, I claimed and still stand by the fact that Micheal is not God.
Micheal is Jesus, Jesus is not God, so Micheal is not God. You may have your reason(s) for believing otherwise, though.

Jesus did say 'I and the Father are one' but he doesn't mean they are one and the same person. How do we know this? Later, in the same book of John, chapter 17 the verses 20 to 23, Jesus stated about his disciples, while praying to God:
       "I make request, not concerning these only, but also concerning those putting faith in me through their word,
   so that they may all be one, just as you, Father, are in union with me and I am in union with you, that they also may be in union with us, so that the world may believe that you sent me.
   I have given them the glory that you have given me, in order that they may be one just as we are one.
   I in union with them and you in union with me, in order that they may be perfected into one, (or, be completely unified)  so that the world may know that you sent of and that you loved them just as you loved me."
To think about: Was Jesus praying or saying by the above quotation that his disciples should merge their physical bodies and become one person? Certainly not. Evidently then, Jesus was asking for oneness in thought and purpose, same mind and line of thought. (Compare 1 Corinthians 1:10). Take another example: After marriage, a man and his wife become 'one flesh' as we often hear. They are one in interests not in physical form, right?

John 1:1 In the beginning was the Word.
Other Bible versions say of the concluding part of this verse,
* "the word was a god." (The New Testament in an Improved Version, Upon the Basis of Archbishop Newcome's New Translation: With a Corrected Text) [1808]
* "the Word was divine." (La Bible du Centenaire, L'Evangile selon Jean, by Maurice Goguel) [1928]
* "a god the Word was." (Das Evangelium nach Johannes, by Siegfried Schulz) [1975]
* "the Logos was like a god." (Das Evangelium nach Johannes, by Johannes  Schneider.) [1978]
None of the above indicates that 'the word was God.' After introducing 'the Word' in verse 1 of chapter 1, the apostle John continues at verse 14: "So the Word became flesh and resided among us, and we had a view of his glory, a glory such as belongs to an only-begotten son from a father; and he was full of divine favour and truth." It is Jesus, not God, who came onto the earth. Verse 18 renders this statement ever true: "No man has seen God at any time; the only-begotten god who is at the Father's side is the one who has explained Him." Yes no one has seen God (Exodus 33:20). But many have seen Jesus the Christ, and there exists evidence that he lived on earth.
Simply put, the Word is not God Almighty.
The word was God is not equal to the word was a god.
'New World Translation of the Holy Scriptures', the Bible version used by the JWs, has Genesis to Revelation (66 books) like any other Bible I know. I will not read any Bible which does not acknowledge its Author; that would be very unfair to the Author himself. Does the KJV, as you've suggested make use of God's name Jehovah. Read Exodus 6:3; Psalm 83:18; Isaiah 12:2; 26:4 in the KJV. The JWs don't have their own Bible because if you compare with other versions, the meaning or idea behind one particular scripture is the same although the wording, choice of words or diction may be different. Besides, the Bible's sole Author is God in heaven not any man or men.

Last edited by math9maniac (2015-05-17 08:23:17)

#134 2015-05-17 09:48:07

David

#135 2015-05-17 11:05:48

math9maniac

Take one of 'their Bibles', compare with yours and you would realise there's no difference. If you want to know about someone, there's no better way than to ask the person himself. So find the truth about the JWs from the horse's own mouth on www.jw.org.

Referring to an earlier post of yours, if the JWs prophesy, it's because the Bible says likewise. By the way, can you cite an example of 'their prophecy' which was not fulfilled?

Still on an earlier statement of yours that the JWs don't bow or kneel to Jesus, why should they (or any one else for that matter) when we find Jesus himself quoting "It is Jehovah your God you must worship, and it is to him alone you must render sacred service." (Matthew 4:10) Why! Even Jesus acknowledges that his father (our heavenly Father) alone must be worshipped, not Jesus or any other angel in heaven. (Compare Revelation 22:8, 9)
If you want to reframe your question to be that the JWs don't believe Jesus, (as most people say), even then, I pose this question, if JWs didn't believe Jesus, would they pray for God's Kingdom to come, as taught by Jesus at Matthew 6:9, 10, or even go to the extent of preaching about this very Kingdom?

#136 2015-05-17 11:13:31

math9maniac

Dear David, I'd like answers to these questions since from the look of things you're Christian: Which church are you a member of? Are you a pastor or other religious leader? How many JWs do you know? Have you been a JW before? Is any one in your nuclear or extended family a JW? And if you don't mind, may I know as well which country you're from or the country in which you currently reside?
I'd be most grateful for your responses. Many thanks.

m9m

#137 2015-05-17 13:07:45

Agnishom
Real Member
Website

What is a JW?

'And fun? If maths is fun, then getting a tooth extraction is fun. A viral infection is fun. Rabies shots are fun.'
'God exists because Mathematics is consistent, and the devil exists because we cannot prove it'
I'm not crazy, my mother had me tested.

#138 2015-05-17 13:09:36

bobbym
bumpkin

Jehovah's Witness.

In mathematics, you don't understand things. You just get used to them.
If it ain't broke, fix it until it is.
Always satisfy the Prime Directive of getting the right answer above all else.

#139 2015-05-17 17:09:30

math9maniac

@bobbym, do you some of them at where you live?

#140 2015-05-17 17:21:14

math9maniac

@David, pls I raised some questions in post #134 to which you haven't answered back. May you do so? Thanks.

#141 2015-05-17 17:48:22

bobbym
bumpkin

Hi math9maniac;

Some in the past, but I think I know one now.

#142 2015-05-17 19:44:30

David

math9maniac wrote:

Dear David, I'd like answers to these questions since from the look of things you're Christian: Which church are you a member of? Are you a pastor or other religious leader? How many JWs do you know? Have you been a JW before? Is any one in your nuclear or extended family a JW? And if you don't mind, may I know as well which country you're from or the country in which you currently reside?
I'd be most grateful for your responses. Many thanks.

m9m

I am 15, I'm a student. I currently live in a muslim country, Malaysia. I have been to many different churches, Methodist, Christ Church, Anglican, Roman Catholic, Orthodox Catholic, Pentacostal, Charismatic and Baptist. I never been to a Jehovah's Witness and Mormon Church. I was formally a Roman Catholic, but now I label myself as born-again. If someone invites me to their church, I will go with them. I never met a Jehovah's Witness in Malaysia. But from what I have seen I can't agree with their teachings. Mind to enlighten me?

Last edited by David (2015-05-17 19:45:18)

#143 2015-05-17 20:20:03

Agnishom
Real Member
Website

bobbym wrote:

Jehovah's Witness.

Hbut what is that?

'And fun? If maths is fun, then getting a tooth extraction is fun. A viral infection is fun. Rabies shots are fun.'
'God exists because Mathematics is consistent, and the devil exists because we cannot prove it'

#144 2015-05-17 20:23:29

bobbym
bumpkin

Have you been following the conversation?

#145 2015-05-18 04:00:34

Agnishom
Real Member
Website

Yes, I think they are arguing about interpretations of the Bible

#146 2015-05-18 06:05:03

bobbym
bumpkin

That does happen.

#147 2015-05-18 06:17:33

math9maniac

bobbym wrote:

Hi math9maniac;

Some in the past, but I think I know one now.

What happened? How come they're no longer in your life? The one you know now is your friend too or your neighbour?

#148 2015-05-18 06:34:40

math9maniac

Hi David;
I hear Malaysia is a beautiful place. Aren't you fortunate to be there. The education system there is excellent right? Until now, I never knew the majority of people there are Muslim. Just learnt something. Thanks.
I can imagine what it feels like practising Christianity in an Islam-dominated state. Generally, everyone there enjoys some amount of peace, or? Anyway, from a little research I just did, Jehovah's Witnesses, though not many, are in Malaysia too. Would you like to invite them into your home when you meet some of them?
I want to believe that you went to all those churches not just for the sake of going but you no doubt are in search of something, which perhaps, you haven't found yet. Pray, pray and never cease praying. God does answer prayers, no matter how long, and especially when it is in accordance with His will (1 John 5:14). In no time at all you will find all that you want to know and be able to draw close to God your heavenly Father (James 4:8).
Do you have any comments on my posts concerning Jesus being God, the Witnesses' prophecies and their belief in Jesus Christ?

#149 2015-05-18 07:21:52

math9maniac

Dear David, you asked for enlightenment about Jehovah's Witnesses right? Agnishom, this is to you too.
Having some problems here so will post this in bits and pieces.

Jehovah's Witnesses are found in 239 countries and lands and are from all ethnic and cultural backgrounds. They are known for their worldwide preaching work. It is an international, nonprofit religious organization of people who willingly serve God.

THEY ARE ORDINARY PEOPLE.
They come from various backgrounds and social conditions. Some of them formerly practised a different religion, while others did not believe in God. Before becoming Witnesses, however, all of them took the time to examine carefully the teachings of the Bible. (Acts 17:11) They agreed with what they learned, and then they made a personal choice to worship Jehovah God.

#150 2015-05-18 07:57:07

math9maniac

THEY LIVE BY GODLY VALUES.
These values, as taught in the Bible, promote well-being and respect for others, along with such qualities as honesty and kindness. They contribute to the development of healthy and productive members of society, and they encourage family unity and morality. Convinced that "God is not partial," they belong to a spiritual brotherhood that is truly international, free of racial and political barriers. Although they are ordinary, they make up a unique people.___Acts 4:13; 10:34, 35.

THEY BENEFIT FROM STUDYING THE BIBLE.
Like everyone else, they have to deal with problems and their own weaknesses. But by trying to apply Bible principles in their everyday lives, they have experienced a marked improvement in their quality of life. That is one reason why they share with others the good things that they have learned from the Bible.

Board footer