Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#26 2012-07-20 11:27:29

Au101

Re: Creating LaTeX documents?

I see smile - yes that's what I mean, sorry if I wasn't clear, I just didn't know if this was a school project, or perhaps even higher education. We don't really have 'grades' in the UK, you see - well - we have the equivalent, we just don't usually call them that.

#27 2012-07-20 11:31:03

anonimnystefy
Real Member

Over here grades 9-12 are actually called here grades 1-4 of high school, but calling them grades 9-12 is easier for understanding of the most people on the forum.

“Here lies the reader who will never open this book. He is forever dead.
“Taking a new step, uttering a new word, is what people fear most.” ― Fyodor Dostoyevsky, Crime and Punishment
The knowledge of some things as a function of age is a delta function.

#28 2012-07-20 11:36:53

Au101

Of course. What do you study - besides mathematics?

#29 2012-07-20 11:37:59

anonimnystefy
Real Member

Right now nothing except math, because I am on a summer break. But when I go back to school all kinds of subjects await me.

“Taking a new step, uttering a new word, is what people fear most.” ― Fyodor Dostoyevsky, Crime and Punishment

#30 2012-07-20 11:41:12

Au101

You study many - then? I remember in my final two years most people only took three, or sometimes four. Which is your favourite, apart from maths (always assuming - of course - that maths is your favourite)

#31 2012-07-20 11:44:24

anonimnystefy
Real Member

Hi Au101

All 10-13 (I don't know how exactly many) of the subjects are mandatory. My favourites are math (of course) and maybe English and Programming.

#32 2012-07-20 11:51:11

Au101

Programming? Now there's a subject we never had at school. Certainly very interesting though - do you have any idea which languages you will look at? Surely C or BASIC, or perhaps - at opposite ends of the spectrum - lisp or python? And English too, I wonder how it is taught - at the moment I'm a linguist by trade, you see, so I can't help but be intrigued by language courses. Good luck with it - do you have to write papers for all of your subjects? We often got coursework (you know, essays usually) at GCSE (usually taken when you're 16) but even that was rare at A-level (usually the first  half of the exams are sat at 17 the second half at 18) and we never had papers.

#33 2012-07-20 12:02:22

anonimnystefy
Real Member

Hi Au101

In 9th and 10th grade we studied only Pascal. Next two years we have two subjects based on programming. The first one will teach us C, C++ and SQL while the other one will teach us something about the assembly and fortran I think.

No, we choose one subject from which we choose a topic we will write about and the other paper is always on Serbian, but not grammar and that stuff, but rather about a topic from literature.

I like English as a subject because I am fairly good at it.

I have seen some sample problems from the GCSE exams and most seem quite easy in my eyes.

By the way, how old are you?

#34 2012-07-20 12:35:40

Au101

Oh okay - I couldn't imagine C not coming up somewhere at least! The most i have ever managed is a few lines of BASIC on a microcontroller and I did not much enjoy the experience tongue But then, I probably didn't get a fair view of it smile

Yes, you certainly seem very good at English if I may say so.

Ahhh yes, GCSEs. They are, I mean, there's just no getting around it, I don't wish to sound arrogant or dismissive, I'm sure there are many people, some of who may well use or have used this forum, who have felt intimidated by the prospect of GCSEs; but I can't pretend that I didn't find them very straightforward indeed. But care must be taken, not everybody is taught to the same standard and not everybody is naturally academically inclined. Personally I treated the whole process with a generous measure of disdain, but I wouldn't want to imply that current GCSE students nervously awaiting their results are making a fuss over nothing or else are not very bright.

Well I'm in my first year of university at the moment, so my school days are only just behind me tongue

#35 2012-07-20 12:41:26

anonimnystefy
Real Member

Yeah, but I feel that more people use C++ than C. And I don't even know why.

Thank you, but I still have a lot to learn. I always try to be careful about my tenses, but end up having every second verb in present perfect.

They still seem too easy. What is their purpose?

University, huh? Which one?

#36 2012-07-20 23:39:57

Au101

Well, their stated purpose is the same as any exam. Generally, they are required to progress to A-level and may well help your application for a job which wouldn't normally require academic qualifications - y'know, just something extra to put on your CV. It has also been rumoured that universities occasionally look at them for distinguishing between otherwise very similar candidates. But, in truth, they aren't worth all that much.

I'm at the University of London smile

Last edited by Au101 (2012-07-20 23:40:47)

#37 2012-07-21 00:50:36

anonimnystefy
Real Member

True. They don't look like they are worth something. But it is true that they contain certain things needed from candidates for some jobs.

So, what are your classes there?

#38 2012-07-21 10:23:36

Au101

Well next year I will look at phonology, syntax and semantics and I will also do some Sanskrit language & literature units

#39 2012-07-21 12:12:08

anonimnystefy
Real Member

So that is what you meant when you said you specialize in linguistics. How are you with math?

#40 2012-07-22 00:01:14

Au101

Well, linguistics is my trade at the moment, mathematics is my hobby. I devoted quite a lot of my last summer to maths and intend to continue pursuing it. I am particularly interested in the mathematics of infinity. This summer, of course, I've been working on Sanskrit a fair bit, but I don't intend to leave mathematics behind.

#41 2012-07-22 02:33:32

anonimnystefy
Real Member

That is good.

I hadn't any ideas what to make a LaTeX doc about.

#42 2012-07-22 06:34:21

Au101

Well - if you literally just want to practise your LaTeX skills, one of the things I quite like to do is just typeset a wikipedia article, for example:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pauli_equation
But otherwise, you could just find yourself a maths problem and - rather than doing it by hand - you could make a LaTeX document. Just an idea. Or maybe type up a few of your old homeworks?

#43 2012-07-22 07:18:26

anonimnystefy
Real Member

I will try. Thanks! smile

Board footer