Math Is Fun Forum
  Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#201 2012-03-22 09:22:32

bobbym
Administrator

Re: Linear Interpolation FP1 Formula

Not if she rejects you. After 3 rejections I think you should give up. I mean this came straight from a gal who rejected me.

In mathematics, you don't understand things. You just get used to them.
I have the result, but I do not yet know how to get it.
All physicists, and a good many quite respectable mathematicians are contemptuous about proof.

#202 2012-03-22 09:23:45

zetafunc.

I see, I'm sorry to hear that. I think due to the amount of time I have left I probably won't have the chance to have more than 3 tries at it, anyway... sometimes I wonder if all this is worth it at all.

#203 2012-03-22 09:28:00

bobbym
Administrator

It isn't but it is something we all have to do.

All physicists, and a good many quite respectable mathematicians are contemptuous about proof.

#204 2012-03-22 09:41:17

zetafunc.

Hmm. I don't know why this is bothering me so much.

I feel like I may have intimidated her somewhat...

#205 2012-03-22 09:42:19

bobbym
Administrator

Her intimidated? Hah! Women have the biggest egos in the world.

#206 2012-03-22 09:52:42

zetafunc.

Well, to give an example, the other day we were doing mechanics problems in class and we had to find the centre of mass of this weird shape, a bowl with holes in it and cones were sticking out, or something. He had the answer written down on a piece of paper. She asked if her answer was correct, and the teacher said that he's not sure and that maybe the answer on his piece of paper was wrong, but I said "but it is _____" and she didn't argue or anything. I don't want to come across arrogant at all, nowadays whenever she says something I don't try to make her look stupid because I know how it feels and she probably doesn't like it. Unfortunately my maths class is quite cliquey so it's difficult to just sit next to her as it's kind of an 'unspoken seating plan' that I sit where I currently do. But she is very good at pure maths... when we had to change rooms, I sat in front of her and I could hear her whispering to her friend, and when the teacher would say something she'd whisper the answer to herself. I think because everyone is a year older than me in my class, people just think 'oh he knows everything'. Even my teacher is like this and it annoys me. For example, we haven't been taught how to do escape velocities and hard problems involving Newton's law of gravitation. I didn't know the formula so I arrived at the answer by solving an ODE (which I thought was how you were supposed to do it) and my teacher was just laughing and I could tell was just agreeing with everything I said, not even looking at my work.

This is how people are towards me sometimes. They expect me to know everything. I created that demon myself by getting so many answers right, unfortunately. But I just hope this hasn't caused F to have a negative view of me, and, if she does have one, I would like to undo it somehow.

#207 2012-03-22 09:55:54

bobbym
Administrator

Brainy is good and yes she is somewhat intimidated. That is good also. Forget the teacher.

#208 2012-03-22 09:59:55

zetafunc.

Why is her being intimidated a good thing? Won't that make me more repulsive to her?

#209 2012-03-22 10:01:07

bobbym
Administrator

Repulsive? What the heck do the gals know about repulsive? Have you seen the guys they think a cute? Now that is repulsive!

#210 2012-03-22 10:02:17

zetafunc.

But I don't see how me making her scared of me is going to make her want to be with me...

#211 2012-03-22 10:05:01

bobbym
Administrator

Intimidated is not the same as terrified. She was saying the answers when behind you so you would hear.

#212 2012-03-22 10:08:29

zetafunc.

Hmm... I didn't think of that. That's possible... but she might just do that even if I wasn't there. Is she trying to intimidate me, then? Because I didn't find that intimidating, I found it cute. Eh, I don't understand what's going on here...

#213 2012-03-22 10:10:33

bobbym
Administrator

Intimidate you? No, I do not think so.  Yes, they are cute, that is why they are so deadly.

#214 2012-03-22 10:15:52

zetafunc.

So why would she be saying the answer behind me?

I try to eavesdrop on them as much as possible. Their conversations almost always involve F helping her friend with maths.

I think she may have been intimidated a bit by my module marks so far this year. They averaged 99%, compared to hers which were about 91%. I don't know if that was really how she felt. When I say something to the teacher though she does glance in my direction but not make eye contact. It's just so strange, I feel like sometimes she is there for the taking, and other times as if she finds me repulsive. I guess that applies to most women.

#215 2012-03-22 10:18:58

bobbym
Administrator

So you will hear, she wants to impress you.

Repulsive is not necessarily a bad thing.

#216 2012-03-22 10:24:11

zetafunc.

But that seems kind of contradictory, surely? Why reject someone and try to impress them at the same time?

#217 2012-03-22 10:27:38

bobbym
Administrator

A good question. If you get close to her maybe ahe will answer it truthfully. But do not count on that.

#218 2012-03-22 10:34:44

zetafunc.

About 8 weeks or so remain before exam time. That's how much time I have left, and it's being sapped away quickly. It'll feel like a loss if this all amounts to nothing in the end.

Still trying to work out what my next move will be. I feel like forgetting C + S right now, I don't care about them. I think C was just someone I turned to because I got rejected. Hmm, at least now I know that F is still worth going after, even if only a little.

#219 2012-03-22 10:37:41

bobbym
Administrator

Do not get too excited, they can be elusive.

#220 2012-03-22 10:39:21

zetafunc.

Hmm... this is worrying. Come to think of it, nothing much happened today and yet I feel like I want F as much as I did before. I almost feel back in the same position, with no progress.

#221 2012-03-22 10:42:08

bobbym
Administrator

You might have made some progress. Of course if you do not ask soon it will be too late.

#222 2012-03-22 10:45:52

zetafunc.

Ack, I don't know what to do. We will see what happens tomorrow, there is a slight chance I might see her.

#223 2012-03-22 10:51:35

bobbym
Administrator

Good luck!

#224 2012-03-22 11:04:20

zetafunc.

Thanks... Will be seeing C in chemistry for 2 hours tomorrow, wonder if that's worth a pursuit.

#225 2012-03-22 11:06:09

bobbym
Administrator

Remember Trudi, Inga and Helga!

Board footer