Math Is Fun Forum
  Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ π -

Login

Username

Password

Not registered yet?

#11126 2013-05-27 03:14:27

zetafunc.

Re: Linear Interpolation FP1 Formula

Who knows how long that would take...

#11127 2013-05-27 03:38:06

bobbym
Administrator

You do of course. It depends on you. It will be like acquiring more physical strength. Whether you are picking up a tea cup or the front end of a VW it is always there. You learn how much you need and when. Same thing with self confidence. There will always be more than enough and you turn it on and off as you need it.

In mathematics, you don't understand things. You just get used to them.
I have the result, but I do not yet know how to get it.
All physicists, and a good many quite respectable mathematicians are contemptuous about proof.

#11128 2013-05-27 03:47:43

zetafunc.

I can fake something like confidence quite easily, but it is impossible to fake strength.

#11129 2013-05-27 03:53:00

bobbym
Administrator

Why do you have to fake it? You are not competing against The Incredible Hulk here. We are talking about a human being. Someone physically smaller and weaker and certainly from the group you have outlined intellectually weaker too. Someone who is asking for you to take charge.

All physicists, and a good many quite respectable mathematicians are contemptuous about proof.

#11130 2013-05-27 06:47:44

zetafunc.

I'm starting to understand that a bit more, but I still find the execution difficult. When presented with the situation I find myself trying to be dominant but ending up reverting to my natural instincts -- to not be dominant.

#11131 2013-05-27 08:52:29

bobbym
Administrator

Do not worry, soon you will fall into one of the classes we discussed and the problem will all be solved on its own.

#11132 2013-05-27 08:59:14

zetafunc.

I hope so. Seems I keep making error after error in this game.

I asked Holly if she has a copy of the mark scheme for a chemistry exam paper I just did, and I think she might have it -- I genuinely do need it, but it gives me an opportunity to meet up with her.

#11133 2013-05-27 09:04:37

bobbym
Administrator

Yep, like a shark you just need to get close.

#11134 2013-05-27 09:06:47

zetafunc.

And hope that I do not get ambushed.

#11135 2013-05-27 09:12:36

bobbym
Administrator

Ambushed? You are the one that is doing the ambushing.

Well, lack of strength physically and mentally is the major reason.

I am concerned about this statement.

#11136 2013-05-27 10:30:58

zetafunc.

Why?

#11137 2013-05-27 10:45:27

bobbym
Administrator

Because a poor self image can sap the confidence out of a human being. Literally sap the strength out of him/her.

If you have poor self image concerning your physique when you get to the university see if you can find one of the strength coaches. They work with athletes in every sport increasing their strength and stamina. They know how to deal with injuries such as knees, hands, shoulders, feet and back while training. One might suggest a regimen to increase your physical strength without pain.

I can not overemphasize the tremendous boost one gets in self confidence from adding bulk and muscle to your frame. The first thing we see when we look at another human being is their physicality. We are a shallow species. Some people use weights and others use martial arts training to give them the inner confidence and serenity from having a nice body as the girls phrase it.

Short guys really have an advantage here because they bulk up much faster. Homework guy is very short but powerfully built. He would have done well even without his spumy methods.

That handles the physically insecurities and the girls will swoon. Notice how guys seem to lose their brain when a gorgeous girl shows up? The girls are even more susceptible to muscles.

#11138 2013-06-04 20:30:30

zetafunc.

Like I've said before my confidence fluctuates a lot. I don't know if it's mostly hormonal or not, but I am very confidence driven. One day I wake up and I feel worthless, the next I wake up and feel like I'm ready to take on the world.

I don't have the motivation to take up a strict bodybuilding regime at the moment. I only do what I've always done -- light exercise and yoga. For flexibility and it makes me feel refreshed.

Who knows, maybe in 10 years' time I'll come back and say I'm a lean mean fighting machine, but at the moment I don't feel like doing that.

I also got this e-mail from adriana 2 days ago (after a 50-day wait):

"Hey! It's been a while. How have you been? I'm very excited about STEP now - the serious practice has finally begun. How is it going for you?"

I'm thinking of just ignoring it completely but I'm not sure if that's the best decision.

#11139 2013-06-04 20:34:58

bobbym
Administrator

One day I wake up and I feel worthless, the next I wake up and feel like I'm ready to take on the world.

Until you change you mode of thinking this will be a common occurrence.

She probably wants some help.

#11140 2013-06-04 20:39:10

zetafunc.

I've heard that it's very common among teenagers, especially in Britain. From the age of 14, 10% of teens exhibit symptoms of severe depression, apparently. Much higher than the figure it used to be. I know that these feelings will likely go away in a few months.

Yeah, that's probably it... I still haven't replied yet though.

I will be gone for the next 4 hours because I am doing a STEP mock. I need a confidence boost quickly as the exams are only a couple of weeks away -- I need a good performance here, if I want to have good chances in the real thing.

#11141 2013-06-04 20:40:48

bobbym
Administrator

I consider it very foolhardy to allow your sense of self worth to vacillate based on day to day results. It will be a dizzying rollercoaster ride.

Will see you a little later, had a busy day yesterday and need some rest.

#11142 2013-06-05 02:16:03

zetafunc.

Sigh. Just barely got a 1 in the STEP paper (possibly even a 2 but that's if you're marking very harshly). I want an S in at least one of them. I met some of my friends at the library and for some reason they said my arms look bigger and asked if I've going to the gym and that I used to be skinny. I am baffled, I don't see any difference... maybe it was just because I wore a short-sleeve T-shirt or something.

What do I say to adriana?

Okay, see you later.

#11143 2013-06-05 02:53:01

bobbym
Administrator

because I wore a short-sleeve T-shirt or something.

Let's say that it is true, Could be caused by you filling out which happens to people at around your age. Important point is that people noticed. The girls will notice.

About her? Depends on you.

#11144 2013-06-05 04:47:37

zetafunc.

I hope so. I have been putting on a bit of weight recently (a couple of kilos)...

I am just thinking about what I could gain from talking to her.

#11145 2013-06-05 04:52:00

bobbym
Administrator

Thinking isn't the right reaction. Are you interested in her or not? If no, end of story! If yes, now comes the thinking. Can you handle it?

#11146 2013-06-05 05:05:28

zetafunc.

I don't know, I didn't like it when she became attached to her BF and basically forgot about me.

#11147 2013-06-05 05:16:55

bobbym
Administrator

That is not the same thing. The question again is are you interested in her?

#11148 2013-06-05 05:22:22

zetafunc.

I am not sure. I spent so long trying to forget about her (over 50 days) that it seems silly to undo all of that work.

#11149 2013-06-05 05:24:46

bobbym
Administrator

That too, is irrelevant.

The questions are these? Do you like her? Are you attracted physically and or emotionally to her? It does not matter what she has done in the past, do you have feelings for her?

#11150 2013-06-05 05:30:33

zetafunc.

But whether I do or don't is irrelevant too, surely? I can't win her from her BF, that was proven a few months ago.

Board footer