Math Is Fun Forum
  Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ π -

Login

Username

Password

Not registered yet?

#8076 2013-02-16 07:59:00

zetafunc.

Re: Linear Interpolation FP1 Formula

I might have a story to tell afterwards...

#8077 2013-02-16 08:05:42

bobbym
Administrator

It might be a sad, sad story.

In mathematics, you don't understand things. You just get used to them.
I have the result, but I do not yet know how to get it.
All physicists, and a good many quite respectable mathematicians are contemptuous about proof.

#8078 2013-02-16 08:08:37

zetafunc.

I think I would prefer to have a story than none at all...

#8079 2013-02-16 08:12:25

bobbym
Administrator

The worst one I ever had was a lot like the one you are describing. Party girl, vivacious, small framed looked deep into my eyes. Deeper than any girl before or since. I mistook it for attraction. Oh there was attraction there but I was being hypnotized by her. Then she dumped me and I fell apart. Could not function for a long time. It was not worth the pain.

All physicists, and a good many quite respectable mathematicians are contemptuous about proof.

#8080 2013-02-16 09:02:22

zetafunc.

Sorry to hear that. She does sound a bit like adriana. From what you have told me it seems this is commonplace among lots of girls and it is unavoidable... but this was the only one you had this problem with?

#8081 2013-02-16 09:04:16

bobbym
Administrator

Yep, I was pretty much bulletproof to the rest of them. Some I broke up with and I didn't care and some dumped me and I did not care. Perfect detachment.

She got under my skin as this one is doing to you.

#8082 2013-02-16 09:05:06

zetafunc.

So I guess detachment does not work on all women... unless, you are the homework guy.

#8083 2013-02-16 09:09:45

bobbym
Administrator

Every guy runs into that specific girl that secretes a certain hormone that immediately enters your bloodstream and rots your brain.

The point is, detachment makes sure that only happens once in a lifetime.

#8084 2013-02-16 09:15:29

zetafunc.

I hope that adriana does not give me the kind of experience you described... how old were you, when that happened?

#8085 2013-02-16 09:15:47

zetafunc.

Or, how experienced were you, is the more pertinent question?

#8086 2013-02-16 09:20:09

bobbym
Administrator

I was 30 years old and very experienced. Sort of a party animal myself. I had plenty of money, good looks and a lifters body. I would hang out in nightclubs and topless bars until I went out with every dancer that worked there.

This attraction is more like an addiction. The first time she lightly touches your arm or worse your face the substance is released into the bloodstream, after that comes the intense eye contact.

Last edited by bobbym (2013-02-16 09:20:44)

#8087 2013-02-16 21:42:14

zetafunc.

Hmm, that sounds at least a hundred times better than me. Clearly, if you could not deal with someone like that, I do not have a hope in hell of surviving it with adriana. (If she turns out to be the hormone-secreting devil you are describing...)

I collected some data from the frequency of our e-mails... here it is, from the 10th of October when I first met her.

20 -> 5 -> 0 -> 2 -> [4 days of no e-mail] -> 2 -> [8 days of no e-mail] -> 2 -> 1 -> [45 days of no e-mail!!] -> 1 -> 3 -> 0 -> 2 -> 7 -> 0 -> 5 -> 2 -> 4 -> 1 -> 5 ...

and then, on the 23rd of Jan, it starts to get interesting.

15 -> 59 -> 68 -> 23 -> 71 -> 41 -> 22 -> 2 -> 21 -> 28 -> 34 -> 24 -> 20 -> 33 -> 5 -> 29 -> 20 -> 9 -> 36 -> 15 -> 8 -> 11 -> 3 (adriana leaves to go to Cyprus)

#8088 2013-02-16 21:48:55

bobbym
Administrator

Hi;

I can not upload a picture for that data yet.

(If she turns out to be the hormone-secreting devil you are describing...)

That was just my way of phrasing that situation. I do not know what the scource of the attraction was. She was not even really my type!

#8089 2013-02-16 21:57:06

zetafunc.

Sadly it shows a decreasing trend... still, a high of 71 e-mails in one day. 200 e-mails across 3 days.

Seems like this whole adventure is nothing but trouble. Or mostly trouble with only a little bit of nice stuff...

#8090 2013-02-16 22:00:12

bobbym
Administrator

It depends on what you are after and how hard you want to work for it. And whether you think it is worth it.

#8091 2013-02-16 22:01:46

zetafunc.

I do not really know if I really want it due to my inexperience, but I do still want to try.

#8092 2013-02-16 22:06:22

bobbym
Administrator

Then you must throw away all doubt. Indecision only interferes with the goal. You have made a decision to accept the pain that is coming. Now you must stop questioning the idea. You must start doing things that at least get the pleasure too.

#8093 2013-02-16 22:07:44

zetafunc.

What can I do?

#8094 2013-02-16 22:09:56

bobbym
Administrator

I have already described to you one approach. It may seem ruthless but homework guy got everything he wanted from the best looking girls.

It all depends on your moral structure, scruples and internal programming what you are prepared to do and what is off limits.

#8095 2013-02-18 08:00:59

zetafunc.

It might be useful to decide what to do upon adriana's return. Whether the BF is still in the picture or not is one of the most important factors here.

Still have heard nothing from her, although she comes back from Cyprus (to London) on the 20th, before going to Barcelona on the 21st, so I will have a short period of time to contact her.

#8096 2013-02-18 08:03:04

bobbym
Administrator

It does not pay to worry about that. Many things can happen before she returns.

#8097 2013-02-18 08:07:39

zetafunc.

And most of them are not good for me...

#8098 2013-02-18 08:11:30

bobbym
Administrator

They are all good for you.

#8099 2013-02-18 08:14:28

zetafunc.

Well, maybe good in some sense but not what I want.

#8100 2013-02-18 08:18:15

bobbym
Administrator

If she starts carrying on with Mr Cyprus then you have lost her, which is excellent for you.

If she breaks up with him she will probably turn to you and that is good for you too.

Board footer