Math Is Fun Forum
  Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ π -

Login

Username

Password

Not registered yet?

#6126 2012-10-30 00:29:17

zetafunc.

Re: Linear Interpolation FP1 Formula

No, I talked to her, she has not got her replies from the universities. Most people have 0 or only 1 offer. People only tend to get all their replies by Jan/Feb. The most offers someone I know has is three, but for maths they tend to come later.

As I said, I must assume the worst, that they will all treat me like F did.

#6127 2012-10-30 00:33:24

ShivamS

Zeta, sorry to interject again, but perhaps you need to be more confident. I have had several similar experiences (even though I am 13) and high self-esteem worked for me. Hence, you should give her some time to respond.

I have discovered a truly marvellous signature, which this margin is too narrow to contain. -Fermat
Give me a lever long enough and a fulcrum on which to place it, and I shall move the world. -Archimedes
Young man, in mathematics you don't understand things. You just get used to them. - Neumann

#6128 2012-10-30 00:33:45

bobbym
Administrator

Well, you can do that, or you can be more positive.

In mathematics, you don't understand things. You just get used to them.
I have the result, but I do not yet know how to get it.
All physicists, and a good many quite respectable mathematicians are contemptuous about proof.

#6129 2012-10-30 01:10:23

zetafunc.

My confidence has peaks and troughs. When I'm outside with my friends, I am extremely confident. But the more time I spend alone, the less confident I become. The more social interaction I have, the better. I will wait but I also want to be realistic.

I am being positive about R. I think I have a far greater chance with her.

#6130 2012-10-30 01:22:27

bobbym
Administrator

You should work on that being alone problem. Immerse yourself in mathematics during those times. Keep your mind off yourself and your situation.

R is a possibility, if not, another will come soon enough.

All physicists, and a good many quite respectable mathematicians are contemptuous about proof.

#6131 2012-10-30 01:28:52

zetafunc.

That only works for so long. When I'm sleeping, or eating for example, my mind wanders. I start to think about being alone. But when I get an e-mail or a text that goes away for the rest of the day usually.

If R says no, then I can simply add one to my tally and move on. I think there is another girl too who I knew from a few years ago, but it'd feel weird especially since she used to date my friend (who I talk to quite often).

#6132 2012-10-30 01:35:55

bobbym
Administrator

That only works for so long.

Of course, it is something you have to exercise to get stronger. Try to increase your focus, that keeps your mind from wandering. The easiest way to focus on something is to concentrate on what you love most. For me it is mathematics and I can work on it from when I get up to when I go to sleep. Taking only small breaks to eat and rest, You see I have no one at the moment either. My gf left me for someone else and my relatives do not care whether I live or die. Also, I am in constant pain due to my back and left hand. If I can focus through all that, so can you.

Her dating a friend before means nothing to you.

#6133 2012-10-30 09:03:18

zetafunc.

I am sorry to hear that. I love maths too, and I do often think about it shortly after waking up and shortly before I sleep. But I can't control what I dream, and sometimes I see something even in mathematics that reminds me of F or maybe R. It is getting easier to blank them out though. For example, I spent most of my day playing around with Fourier series and I was able to make a bit of progress while not spending it pining over these sorts of issues.

I'd feel awkward about it though, especially because I know they're still really good friends, and there's the possibility of him being jealous of me dating her (this is a new girl here, not any of the previous ones I've mentioned).

#6134 2012-10-30 09:08:04

bobbym
Administrator

You have to realize that every girl you date probably dated someone you are friendly with or will be. You can not help his feelings, that is his job. If they are no longer going together she is fair game.

#6135 2012-10-30 09:14:30

zetafunc.

He is only one of my 'true' friends that I have though, who I have had for many years. I know if I had some personal problem that I could certainly rely on him. I don't know if it is worth breaking that for a girl.

#6136 2012-10-30 09:17:15

bobbym
Administrator

Interesting question. Let me ask you a hypothetical question: If that girl loved you and you loved her what would you do then?

#6137 2012-10-30 09:25:43

zetafunc.

It depends how serious it was.

However this friend did unfortunately get almost beaten up by her ex-boyfriend (he was a crazy guy who was also a bodybuilder), who didn't like the fact that he was going out with her.

#6138 2012-10-30 09:27:20

bobbym
Administrator

Well, if that guy is still around then that is a better reason for leaving her alone.

#6139 2012-10-30 09:28:56

zetafunc.

Yes, I may leave her alone for that reason.

#6140 2012-10-30 09:33:37

bobbym
Administrator

You mean that maniac is still around and you are even thinking slightly of going after her??!!

It seems to me that your only real problem is that you have not learned to control your eyeballs.

#6141 2012-10-30 09:36:37

zetafunc.

I was looking for a Helga.

#6142 2012-10-30 09:39:49

bobbym
Administrator

Very good! You learn quickly. But when Helga has Thor or worse Loki for a jealous boyfriend it pays to steer clear of Helga.

#6143 2012-10-30 09:42:03

zetafunc.

I would not be surprised if her ex-boyfriend (not my friend, the maniacal one) is in prison for murder. He often threatened people with death and made nothing of himself. I have no idea why she went out with him.

#6144 2012-10-30 09:47:57

bobbym
Administrator

People get out of prison on parole you know. They usually come looking for old girlfriends.

You have no idea why she went out with him?

#6145 2012-10-30 09:50:22

zetafunc.

Well, he is your typical bad-boy I guess, very muscular body.

#6146 2012-10-30 09:53:52

bobbym
Administrator

Many girls are attracted to psychopaths. Gangsters have tons of girlfriends. To tell you how warped some of their so called brains are, I was the toughest kid in the neighborhood. I was also the most vicious. Still, many of them told me I was too nice???!!!

#6147 2012-10-30 09:56:15

zetafunc.

Did you ever ask them what they meant by that?

#6148 2012-10-30 10:05:07

bobbym
Administrator

They would never tell me or any other guy what they thought he is doing wrong. They are much less communicative and sensitive then modern literature tries to make us believe.

I discovered for myself what they meant but it took many years.

#6149 2012-10-30 10:09:55

zetafunc.

I guess all the girls who rejected me may have thought the same.

#6150 2012-10-30 10:12:32

bobbym
Administrator

Probably even worse.

Board footer