Math Is Fun Forum
  Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#5226 2012-10-10 19:56:38

bobbym
Administrator

Re: Linear Interpolation FP1 Formula

You can't. She is the only one who can help her.

In mathematics, you don't understand things. You just get used to them.

I agree with you regarding the satisfaction and importance of actually computing some numbers. I can't tell you how often I see time and money wasted because someone didn't bother to run the numbers.

#5227 2012-10-10 20:15:36

zetafunc.

I heard that some people just talk to them normally as if nothing happened. Do you think that is possible in my situation? I highly doubt she will bring up the rejection if I did...

#5228 2012-10-10 20:25:14

bobbym
Administrator

You have trouble talking to them when you are in an ordinary situation. What the heck can you say in a strained one?

I agree with you regarding the satisfaction and importance of actually computing some numbers. I can't tell you how often I see time and money wasted because someone didn't bother to run the numbers.

#5229 2012-10-10 20:30:26

zetafunc.

Maybe I can force myself.

#5230 2012-10-10 20:34:50

bobbym
Administrator

What will you say? What if she ignores you?

#5231 2012-10-10 20:40:17

zetafunc.

I may say "Hey, how did your results day go?" because, for all I know, she could have done so badly she has to re-sit her year.

If she ignores me? Hmm. But if I come and sit down in front of her, how can she ignore me?

For some reason I have yet to actually pass C while walking through the school, it is only in the ICT area (where 'the door' is) that I see her.

I did notice that, around August 16th, when I texted C to ask her how her results day went, she did not respond. But also, some of my friends didn't respond either. So it could be that C did not want to reply, because she did not do well.

#5232 2012-10-10 20:41:54

bobbym
Administrator

Think about it. If someone says they will talk to you in September and it is June, do they really want to talk to you? To be your friend?

#5233 2012-10-10 20:51:24

zetafunc.

Well, it was July, the end of term when she said that (when school had finished). Her exact text was, I believe:

"I'll see you after the summer hols!"

(in other words, September 6th)

But then again we both know how awkward it is. Of course there are some solutions to this problem for her. Two of them are to either; a) Avoid contact with me and try to forget about me, or b) Continue talking to me as if nothing happened. I think most people would be inclined to go with the former option.

Oh yes, I forgot to mention that PJ is interacting with me still, even after she ignored my e-mail (possibly out of spite). She asked for help on a phrase in chemistry (electrode potentials, specifically she asked what 'S.H.E.' was and why it was important).

#5234 2012-10-10 20:56:37

bobbym
Administrator

Yes, but C has obviously chosen option a.

You were given the brush off. She put you off for more than a month. You are not important to her. Why not just forget her as she is trying.

#5235 2012-10-10 20:59:27

zetafunc.

Okay. But, ideally to do that I'd have to not see C at all. But the thing is, we both hang out in the same room (it's a bit like a common room/ICT/lunch area), and I'm not going to leave my friends for C's sake. Sooner or later we will bump into one another and it might be unavoidable.

#5236 2012-10-10 21:08:23

bobbym
Administrator

You bump into a lot of people, everyone does. Say excuse me and move on. How tough is that?

#5237 2012-10-10 21:14:50

zetafunc.

I guess that sounds pretty straightforward... do you think by now though she has the impression that I'm hurt by her rejection? Would saying 'excuse me' while passing her without speaking to her directly indicate that?

#5238 2012-10-10 21:19:54

bobbym
Administrator

No, just say it with no expression. The way you would say it to a stranger.

#5239 2012-10-10 21:20:40

zetafunc.

Okay. But what do I do if C tries to engage in conversation? If she says 'how are you' for example?

#5240 2012-10-10 21:28:43

bobbym
Administrator

Then speak to her. Show no animosity or anger over the rejection. It is 10 to 1 that she will not speak to you.

#5241 2012-10-10 21:29:44

zetafunc.

What do I do if she talks about me asking her out? I know it is unlikely but it has happened to me before.

#5242 2012-10-10 21:37:50

bobbym
Administrator

If she is that open with you then talk to her about it. Again, it is 10 to 1 against.

#5243 2012-10-10 21:45:21

zetafunc.

I find it really hard to talk openly about my feelings for someone, especially when it is to the person I had feelings for. Well, I can do it, my voice just cracks more than usual and I swallow a lot... she would detect this very easily.

#5244 2012-10-10 21:55:08

bobbym
Administrator

What can you do about it? You can speak to her or not. Since she will not speak to you I do not think it is worth worrying about.

#5245 2012-10-10 22:06:23

zetafunc.

Okay. Still wonder who exactly she has told though. Before C came, her friend was looking at me every now and then (well, she might have been looking at the door, waiting for her interview, not sure). And when C came I saw her say something quietly to her friend. I do not know if it was about me.

#5246 2012-10-10 22:11:56

bobbym
Administrator

You are watching them way too much. They can detect that. Do not pay any attention to them at all.

#5247 2012-10-10 22:17:37

zetafunc.

She was sitting in the line of sight of my friend. Anything that is in my line of sight, I notice. If there are three windows open and two closed, with one of the blinds pulled down halfway, then that is something I take note of. I cannot help it.

#5248 2012-10-10 22:20:32

bobbym
Administrator

You can turn your head away from that or stare past her. I do not think that is a good situation for you with her.

#5249 2012-10-10 22:26:05

zetafunc.

I wasn't even looking at her, I just saw her in my peripheral vision. My eyes were always directly looking at my friend.

In fact, when C sat on that table, I turned my chair slightly to the left (as much as the table would allow) so C was almost on a 180 degree bearing relative to me. To not see her in my peripheral vision I would have to physically block it with an object or close my right eye.

#5250 2012-10-10 22:33:09

bobbym
Administrator

Her peripheral vision is better than yours. Your mind is concentrating on her that is why you are seeing her. Try not to even notice her. Your mind controls what your eyes see.

Board footer