Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2009-01-26 14:40:49

JaneFairfax

Odd many out

This is a game I call “odd many out”. I give a set of people or things, and you must find reasons why each person/thing is the odd one out in the set. For example, suppose I give you the set of numbers

Then you can say that

(i) 2 is the odd one out because it’s the only even number in the set
(ii) 9 is the odd one out because it’s the only non-prime number in the set
(iii) 11 is the odd one out because it’s the only number in the set that’s more than one digit long

These are good reasons why the chosen number should be the odd one out. What about 5? Can’t think of a good reason why it should be the odd one out? Well, then you can say

(iv) 5 is the odd one out because it’s the only number in the set for which I can’t think of a good reason why it should be the odd one out tongue

Let’s start with the following set:

#1. Mercury, Jupiter, Uranus, Pluto

Find reasons why each should be the odd one out. (And remeber: once you have found reasons for three of them to be odd ones out, you can apply rule (iv) above and make the last one odd one out as well (unless you can think of a better reason). cool)

#2 2009-01-26 16:25:31

careless25
Real Member

Re: Odd many out

(i) Mercury odd because its first letter is also shared by another(and many more reasons)
(ii)Jupiter odd because its the largest planet.
(iii) Uranus odd because it sounds like 2 words.:D
(iv) Pluto odd because its not a planet.

#3 2009-01-26 16:41:39

Jai Ganesh
Administrator

#1.
Mercury is the odd one out because it is the only solid planet.
Jupiter is the odd one out because it is the planet which has more satellites than those of all the other three put together.
Uranus is the odd one out because it is named after a Greek God, the others being named after Roman Gods.
Pluto is the odd one out because it has the most eccentric orbit, and it is the only planet which shifts from ninth to eighth place and vice-versa in the order of proximity to the Sun.

It appears to me that if one wants to make progress in mathematics, one should study the masters and not the pupils. - Niels Henrik Abel.

Nothing is better than reading and gaining more and more knowledge - Stephen William Hawking.

#4 2009-01-26 16:43:31

JaneFairfax

Well,

careless25 wrote:

(iv) Pluto odd because its not a planet.

is a good reason for Pluto to be an odd one out. up

But

careless25 wrote:

(i) Mercury odd because its first letter is also shared by another(and many more reasons)
(ii)Jupiter odd because its the largest planet.
(iii) Uranus odd because it sounds like 2 words.:D

are not good reasons. Sorry. down

Try again. smile

#5 2009-01-26 16:55:56

JaneFairfax

ganesh wrote:

Uranus is the odd one out because it is named after a Greek God, the others being named after Roman Gods.

This is a good reason, very good! up

ganesh wrote:

I would say this is iffy. Perhaps you could say, Mercury is the only heavenly body known to be solid. Pluto may be solid – not much information is known about its internal structure yet. hmm

ganesh wrote:

Jupiter is the odd one out because it is the planet which has more satellites than those of all the other three put together.
…
Pluto is the odd one out because it has the most eccentric orbit, and it is the only planet which shifts from ninth to eighth place and vice-versa in the order of distance from the Sun.

No, these are not good enough. down

Remember, you must explain why a candidate for odd one out is different from all the others – what sets it apart from the others. The fact that a planet has the most moons or the most eccentric orbit are not good reasons why it should be singled out from the others. smile

Last edited by JaneFairfax (2009-01-26 16:56:32)

#6 2009-01-26 17:02:36

careless25
Real Member

mercury odd because only planet from 4 that is inside the asteriod belt, and thus the 4 is odd.

#7 2009-01-26 17:08:40

JaneFairfax

Yes, that is good. up You could also say that it’s the only one of the four that is closer to the Sun than the Earth. smile

Last edited by JaneFairfax (2009-01-26 17:09:14)

#8 2009-01-26 17:11:48

careless25
Real Member

next puzzle? or do i create 1?

#9 2009-01-27 00:10:36

Jai Ganesh
Administrator

JaneFairfax wrote:
ganesh wrote:

I would say this is iffy. Perhaps you could say, Mercury is the only heavenly body known to be solid. Pluto may be solid – not much information is known about its internal structure yet. hmm

I thought, the odd one among the ones given was reason enough to be odd.
But, if the reason for eing an odd one is in general, you are correct, JaneFairfax, as all the four, Mercury, Venus, Earth, and Mars are solid planets.
Regarding Pluto and Jupiter, I agree those aren't reasons enough.

Jupiter is the odd one out because it is the only planet in gaseous state which is close to the Asteroids.

Pluto is the odd one out because it is the only one over which uncertainity prevails, whether it is a planet in the solar system or not.
Pluto is the odd one out because it is the only which takes more than 200 years to revolve around the sun.

It appears to me that if one wants to make progress in mathematics, one should study the masters and not the pupils. - Niels Henrik Abel.

Nothing is better than reading and gaining more and more knowledge - Stephen William Hawking.

#10 2009-01-27 02:07:55

JaneFairfax

ganesh wrote:

Pluto is the odd one out because it is the only one over which uncertainity prevails, whether it is a planet in the solar system or not.

This is good. I like this one. up

ganesh wrote:

Jupiter is the odd one out because it is the only planet in gaseous state which is close to the Asteroids.

Pluto is the odd one out because it is the only which takes more than 200 years to revolve around the sun.

Yes, I suppose they will do. But let’s try and keep our reasons as simple as possible, not too deep or complicated. big_smile

#11 2009-01-27 02:32:48

Ricky

Mercury isn't a solid, it's a liquid.  And of course Pluto is not a planet, who ever thought it was?  A planet does not make an adorable side character for Mickey.  It would be rather silly for NASA to make the Jupiter probes out of gas, wouldn't it ganesh?

Sheesh, you guys are all wrong...

"In the real world, this would be a problem.  But in mathematics, we can just define a place where this problem doesn't exist.  So we'll go ahead and do that now..."

#12 2009-01-27 02:53:02

JaneFairfax

I think we’ll get on with the next set. First, here are just some more reasons.

Mercuary is the odd one out because:
(i) it is the only one of the four not to have a moon

Pluto is the odd one out because:
(i) it is the only one of the four not to feature in Holst’s Planets suite.
(ii) it is the only one of the four whose name has fewer than three syllables

Next lot …

#2. hydrogen, fluorine, chlorine, iodine

And remember, try and keep your reasons simple (or even trivial), not too far-fetched. smile

#13 2009-01-27 03:22:16

Jai Ganesh
Administrator

In response to Post #11:-
I thought Jupiter was a gaseous mass, thanks Ricky, now I learned that its got a solid core.
Even the wikipedia was misleading...."Jupiter is classified as a gas giant, along with Saturn, Uranus and Neptune. Together, these four planets are sometimes referred to as the Jovian planets."

#2:

Hydrogen, because it is the most abundant element in the universe.
Hydrogen, because its presence is a pre-requisite for any form of life (I believe smile )
Flourine, because it is the only halogen in the toothpaste.
Chlorine, because its salt is the most commonly consumed salt by man.
Iodine, the only chemical to be used for therapeutic purposes and as a disinfectant, also in photography as well as dyes.

#14 2009-01-27 03:36:30

JaneFairfax

ganesh wrote:

Hydrogen, because it is the most abundant element in the universe.
…
Chlorine, because its salt is the most commonly consumed salt by man.

NO, THESE ARE NOT A VALID REASONS FOR SOMETHING BEING ODD ONE OUT!!

Okay. I’ll explain this hopefully for the last time.

In order for reason to a valid reason for X to be the odd one out, it must be of the form

“X is the odd one out because X is the only one in the list to have such-and-such property.”

Now test this with one of the statements above

“Hydrogen is the odd one out because hydrogen is the only one in the list to be the most abundant element in the universe.”

Does this this make any sense at all? Does it? If it doesn’t, then it is not a valid reason for something to be the odd one out!!

All right, let’s play the game properly. However, if my explanation above is unclear to you and you still don’t understand, then I suggest to stay out of this game until you do, okay? neutral

Last edited by JaneFairfax (2009-01-27 05:43:40)

#15 2009-01-27 04:05:50

TheDude

Hydrogen is the only element in the list with a stable isotope that contains no neutrons.

Sorry, it's been too long since chemistry class for me to come up with anything for the other 3.

Last edited by TheDude (2009-01-27 04:06:47)

Wrap it in bacon

#16 2009-01-27 04:10:58

JaneFairfax

That’s correct. up

#17 2009-01-27 04:26:00

TheDude

I'm not sure about this one, but since Iodine is the only listed element with a larger atomic weight than Iron I think it is the only one which would release more energy upon undergoing a fission reaction than what would be required to perform the reaction.

Wrap it in bacon

#18 2009-01-27 04:39:02

Jai Ganesh
Administrator

In response to Post #14:-
I got the point.
I continue to be in the game, and so do you.
cool

#19 2009-01-27 05:43:03

JaneFairfax

TheDude wrote:

I'm not sure about this one, but since Iodine is the only listed element with a larger atomic weight than Iron I think it is the only one which would release more energy upon undergoing a fission reaction than what would be required to perform the reaction.

You could have just said iodine is the odd one out because it is the only one of the four not to be a gas at room temperature and standard atmospheric pressure. tongue

When I set the puzzle, these were the reasons I had in mind.

Hydrogen is the odd one out

Chlorine is the odd one out

And iodine is the odd one out because of the reason stated above.

I didn’t think of any reason for fluorine to be the odd one out. Ganesh says it’s the only element whose anion is used in toothpaste. Yes, fair enough. smile

#20 2009-01-27 05:49:04

JaneFairfax

Next set.

#3.

#21 2009-01-27 06:31:02

careless25
Real Member

k deleted and heres a reason
E because

that better?

Last edited by careless25 (2009-01-27 06:32:01)

#22 2009-01-27 06:37:52

TheDude

JaneFairfax wrote:

You could have just said iodine is the odd one out because it is the only one of the four not to be a gas at room temperature and standard atmospheric pressure. tongue

I could have said that, except that I didn't know about it smile.

Anyway, U is an odd one because it is typically drawn with a curved line.  Y is odd because it is a consonant.  A is odd because it is the only one that forms a word by itself (in English, anyway).  E is odd because it is (as far as I know) the only letter that has been explicitly avoided in a published novel.

Wrap it in bacon

#23 2009-01-27 07:02:14

JaneFairfax

Great answers! up

Thanks for the reason for U being the odd one out; I didn’t realize that before. tongue

Last edited by JaneFairfax (2009-01-27 07:41:57)

#24 2009-01-27 07:43:01

JaneFairfax

Oops, I missed careless25’s post.

careless25 wrote:

Yes, that’s the one I’m looking for. up

#25 2009-01-27 07:49:15

TheDude

Interestingly, it's also the only letter of the 4 that doesn't have a verticle line symmetry.

Wrap it in bacon

Board footer