Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#26 2005-07-19 02:26:18

mathsyperson

Re: Wink Murder 2

Your first job is to choose the murderer.
You tell them that they are the murderer by email, and if they aren't a mod/Rod (in this case if you choose ganesh), you give them a list of all the player's email addresses.

After that, you just sit passively and watch the game play out.
The murderer can still kill you, so be prepared to post some dramatic type stuff (or not), and in the unlikely event that the murderer is guessed, but s/he doesn't admit it, then you would tell everyone.

I've sent you everyone's emails, so start the game whenever you're ready!

Last edited by mathsyperson (2005-07-19 02:39:22)

Why did the vector cross the road?
It wanted to be normal.

#27 2005-07-19 03:29:20

insomnia
Real Member

Ok, the game has started winkers!!!

The murderer has been sent an e-mail stating that he/she/it is the murderer and can stop winking.

Good luck guessing who it is.

Last edited by insomnia (2005-07-19 03:43:17)

Friends are angels who lift our feet when our own wings have trouble remembering how to fly

#28 2005-07-19 06:11:22

Roraborealis

This will need some serious thinking if we want to succeed....dammit! I hate concerntration!

School is practice for the future. Practice makes perfect. But - nobody's perfect, so why practice?

#29 2005-07-19 06:12:20

mathsyperson

I guess Rora!

It wanted to be normal.

#30 2005-07-19 06:23:23

Roraborealis

YOU'RE RIGHT!!!!!!!! O.O

School is practice for the future. Practice makes perfect. But - nobody's perfect, so why practice?

#31 2005-07-19 06:44:04

mathsyperson

Wow, quick game. big_smile
I'll be in charge of the next one, unless someone else wants to.

Partly because after that win, I am in a very good mood and partly because if I just played normally, the murderer would probably target me first next time.

I'll give everyone until Thursday to be shocked by my amazing guesswork and then volunteer instead of me if they want to and if no one does, I'll tell the murderer to start killing people.

Oh, by the way, I ROCK!

It wanted to be normal.

#32 2005-07-19 08:53:18

Zach

Couldn't we have like... Waited for someone to die first?

Boy let me tell you what:
I bet you didn't know it, but I'm a fiddle player too.
And if you'd care to take a dare, I'll make a bet with you.

#33 2005-07-19 08:54:55

Zach

Alright. I'm choosing the murderer this time. It starts now, you're all in.

#34 2005-07-19 20:18:24

Roraborealis

I killed Rod just before I was guessed!

#35 2005-07-19 20:36:03

insomnia
Real Member

Well, that was quick. Has it started again or what?

Friends are angels who lift our feet when our own wings have trouble remembering how to fly

#36 2005-07-20 02:07:36

mathsyperson

Yes, Zach's in charge this time.
Just like it says two posts up from yours.

It wanted to be normal.

#37 2005-07-20 02:36:48

Zach

Insomnia's blind.

#38 2005-07-20 03:15:04

insomnia
Real Member

No I'm not. That is a bit impossible as how am I supposed to read your posts?

#39 2005-07-20 07:31:41

Zach

You have someone to read it for you.

#40 2005-07-20 19:06:47

insomnia
Real Member

Leave Bob out of this!!

Hasn't anyone died yet, or is the murderer luring us in to a false sense of security?

Last edited by insomnia (2005-07-20 20:59:17)

#41 2005-07-21 00:08:04

Zach

"The darkness gave the room its overall feel, dark and musty with cobwebs stretched across the corners of the room. The walls were damp from when the heating system had broken, just neglected by the owner. Twilight shone through a barely open curtain onto the small, crippled bed and the belongings of he who was in it. As I peered into these belongings, it came apparent that they were gathered in a hurry. The battered old suitcase, which had a bubble-like pattern on the front. The clothes in it were crumpled, without any thought of actually putting them in slowly. It was evident to me this person had moved quickly to run out of wherever he was. It occured to me, that I had done the same in another room. Possibly someone in the same boat as I?
The bed, as stated before, wasn't very safe to look at, brown covers with holes in them, the pillows were a grey colour, stained from God-knows-what. The head resting on the pillow was hard to make out, but its hair was strewn all the way across the pillow. A sort of dark colour, but the light, or lack thereof, made it very hard to distinguish what its true colour was. I moved in closer slightly, the character seemed to be male, the facial features from my viewing were rough and very male like, plus his facial hair gave that idea too. The rest of his body was a curled up lump, underneath the covers.
I heard a car pull up outside, it was slow to parking but close to the room. The gravel beneath a foot suddenly crunched and the engine stopped. The crunching became an echoing step on the pavement, which came ever closer to the room we were in. I tried to hide somewhere, just incase, but to no avail. The old chair was the only place I could find, I had to hope the darkness would be a veil for me. I stared out, the rattling of a key in the lock was close, so close infact, it caused the door to creak open omniously. Someone walked in, it was hard to make out, they seemed to blend in, dressed in fully black. The heavy footed being stepped down the room and turned to the bed. The man wasn't in a hurry, nor was he trying to be quiet, he just walked pacefully. Soon, standing beside the bed, the twilight revealed that he, indeed, was wearing black. Within the lone light, I saw a glint off of a metal surface, one that seemed to be highly polished, a blade. I saw it clear as day as the dark man's hand raised, a knife with a curved edge. The sleeper awoke and I jumped from my place. A futile attempt, it seemed, as my voice could not sound and my hand carelessly through the soon-to-be murderer. The knife came down with a powerful blow, piercing into the skull, as I stumbled away, looking at my hands and still watching. The knife was removed and stabbed into the body. Blood was seeping from the wounds as I watched in disgust, I was powerless to do anything except watch. After four, maybe five more stabs, the bed was covered in blood and the murderer had removed the victim's middle finger with the knife. Pocketing both, the mysterious one exits.
It was a blood bath, not literally, but the bed was now soaking in blood, I tried to scream for help, but to no avail. I couldn't talk, I rushed to the bedside, the blood was still oozing from the sheets, then I noticed something strangely familiar about this person. Through the blood and the gaping wound in his forehead, there was something oddly recognisable about this person. Perhaps I knew him... Then, it dawned on me. Everything here was like I had left it... I tried to use my hands to move the face, but it didn't work, my hand slipped right through. A fit of panic and I jumped onto the bed, no springs squeaked under my weight, but horror set in. There I knelt, staring into a face that I saw every day. There I knelt, staring at the bloody face of me.
Fire set in, the ground crumbled and I began to fall, through darkness without light I fell. Then, I felt it. Your hand, sir. Your hand."

#42 2005-07-21 00:17:28

MathsIsFun
Administrator

Zach ...

Stunning. Just Stunning.

"The physicists defer only to mathematicians, and the mathematicians defer only to God ..."  - Leon M. Lederman

#43 2005-07-21 01:53:56

Zach

I try.

#44 2005-07-21 03:57:01

mathsyperson

So Zach, the 'placebo' of this game, has been murdered. He wasn't a threat but the murderer went and killed him anyway.

This leads me to believe that the murderer is someone who had a grudge against Zach.
Rora: I don't think so. MathsIsFun: Probably not. Me: Don't be ridiculous. Justlooking: Possibly, he did convict her before...
Insomnia: Possibly, because they are 'real life' acquaintainces, so Zach could have done any number of things to him that we don't know about. Ganesh: Possibly, if he found out about the thing that Zach did, but I don't think he has, so probably not.

So, that leaves us with justlookingforthemoment and insomnia.
The other clue is that Zach chose the murderer. Which of these two would he be more likely to choose?
Insomnia organised the game last time, which would throw people off his scent, but he's also Zach's friend, which would make it a bit too obvious. I think that Zach's too intelligent to pick someone that obvious, so I think he chose justlooking, especially as she's been the murderer before and so it might not be what everyone's expecting. Oh, and I think he's trying to throw everyone off by calling the murderer male too.

To summarise, I guess justlookingforthemoment!
If it's not, please feel free to laugh at my tendency to think about everything in far too much detail.

Last edited by mathsyperson (2005-07-21 04:04:52)

It wanted to be normal.

#45 2005-07-21 05:39:17

Roraborealis

Hmmm. Suspicions turn back on you by me....that "don't be ridiculous" bit sounds odd....

Excellent prose, Zach.

#46 2005-07-21 05:45:32

mathsyperson

Yes, I was so preoccupied with my contemplating that I completely forgot to congratulate him.
So, in the style of Zach: "Congratulations. You are able to write a passage of compelling prose. Do you want a cookie?"

Also, Rora, if you're going away for two weeks, you might as well guess now.
I warn you as a friend, fellow moderator and whatever else we may have in common, that if you guess me, you'll be wrong. Or right.

Last edited by mathsyperson (2005-07-21 05:55:32)

It wanted to be normal.

#47 2005-07-21 05:54:23

Zach

Yes. I want a cookie.

[The answer to that being; I'll leave you on in my will.]

Also, thanks for all the praise. It's all good.

[ Also, maybe I want you to think that it'll be too obvious, so that in turn you'll think that and guess the wrong person? Gasp ]

#48 2005-07-21 06:05:25

Roraborealis

I guess........I guess ganesh.

#49 2005-07-21 06:16:31

mathsyperson

Heh heh heh...she fell for it...[/bluff]

So, it might be game over already, I think Zach would have said if it was justlooking but it could still be ganesh.

Assuming it isn't either, here's the current state of play:

Suspects                                   Witnesses                                   Deceased
Roraborealis (guessed)               justlookingforthemoment             Zach
MathsIsFun                                ganesh
mathsyperson (guessed)
insomnia

Oh, and here's Zach's cookie:
cookie%2520b.jpg
Mmm, chocolatey!

It wanted to be normal.

#50 2005-07-21 09:17:10

Zach

Would I?

Board footer