Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#51 2009-01-28 08:57:12

Lyn

Re: Plane Shapes

Lyn wrote:

Lol. That is so true #25. I almost gave up.

#52 2009-01-28 09:14:00

FL_Dad

LOL...My son came home with the same worksheet today.  Thanks!!

eek

#53 2009-02-05 14:00:16

Upset "AltaVista" Family

OMG! I really can't believe schools are still using the same workbooks from 3 years ago. My son brought home today the same sheet everyone is talking about and I was clueless. He was frustrated and needed help and I had no clue. We waited on dad to get home for help and he didnt know either. I am glad we weren't the only ones. Thank goodness we found this site or he would have been getting an F for homework. But none of us would be at this site if they sent home the textbooks with these kids. I have yet to see a textbook come in my house. How do they expect work to get done correctly without a lesson explaining how to do. Some kids dont remember everything by the time they get home. Anyways. Thanks to everyone for all their help, it is greatly appreciated and now I can go to bed with homework done and not feeling too much like an idiot. smile

#54 2009-02-17 09:39:34

Michchey

Number 25 is the way to go..I saw the sheet and was completely puzzled! they need to give an example on the sheet! To me a TITLE is a name not a description. But even my daughter said " We are suppose to comment on the vertices and angles" But this site is awesome! I am so glad for this complicated homework because I found this site! up

#55 2009-02-23 04:19:59

Devantè
Real Member

Why do I get the feeling that some of the guests in this thread are the same person? O.o

#56 2009-02-23 12:51:02

MathsIsFun
Administrator

I think they are different people, just with the same worksheet.

"The physicists defer only to mathematicians, and the mathematicians defer only to God ..."  - Leon M. Lederman

#57 2009-02-25 14:08:21

K's mom

I guess we were destined to be brought to this website... My son brought home the same worksheet today... Algevra Sort Plane Shapes.
It Says to write a title for each group of plane shapes, exactly like the worksheet you all mentioned. He said he was confused about it and couldn't remember exactly how the teacher told them how to do it. I feel like an idiot as well! I thought about having him spell out all of the different shapes, but it's too complex for a second grader to do! A simple note from the teacher with a brief explanation would have been nice! HELP!!!!!dunno

#58 2009-02-26 09:58:15

hmwk mom

WOW! This has helped me A LOT! I've called everyone I know and yes, I too felt like an idiot!

I went with #22's post.

We had already put 1 as "hexagons" and 2 as "quadrilaterals" so we left them as is.

For the next two groups (3&4) I explained to my 2nd grader that the teacher is probably looking for answers like:
groups with ___sides and ____angles/corners and let him write his own answers.

This is what he put:

#1. Hexagons
#2. Quadrilaterals (4 sides)
#3. Shapes with four or more sides
#4. Shapes with three or more corners

I agree that we are all thinking too much into it and the teachers are looking for them to recognize the sides/angles and similarities/differences.

Hope this helps because I sure did have a time with this until I read everyones posts and it simplified it for me tongue !!

#59 2009-03-24 12:07:50

Jill10191130

Thank you, thank you, thank you....My son brought home the same sheet.  I was so confused.  Thanks.

#60 2009-04-27 12:39:58

logismom

OMG my first grader just brought home this sheet! We answered 1. Regular polygons-hexagon 2. Quadrilaterals 3. Polygons 4. Equalaterals. I hope someone recalls this sheet due to parental idiocy neutral haha!

#61 2009-06-04 13:28:48

grateful-mom!

WOW!!!  I can relate to everyone of these posts!  My husband and I were stumped!  Thank you....what is the saying "keep it simple"!

#62 2009-11-16 12:48:27

poolfasa

HI,
  I am a 3rd grade teacher and my 2nd grade son just came home with the same exact worksheet!  Boy I am glad I am not the only one trying to "figure" out this worksheet!  We have all had a lot of fun trying to do this one!  Even dad had to help and he turned to the internet!  What a hoot! roflol

#63 2009-11-16 13:20:36

bobbym
bumpkin

HI all;

Yea, that is great that the parents using the internet and forums finally figured out the worksheet. What good does that do the kids? Two possibilities the question is past the students understanding or someone is not paying attention.

In mathematics, you don't understand things. You just get used to them.
If it ain't broke, fix it until it is.
Always satisfy the Prime Directive of getting the right answer above all else.

#64 2009-12-06 09:13:58

Rhonda

Al wrote:

I have the answer,
You see the problem was we were all thinking like adults. The first group was... is "hexagons", all the same shape but different sizes. The second group is "shapes with four sides and four angles". The third group, because they are different they are called "shapes with more than four sides and angles". And the last group are "shapes with more than three sides and angles". This info came straight from the instructor. I hope this help all of us in the future. There are 2 or more correct answers for eace but you have to think in simple terms. See page 319 chapter 18 PLANE SHAPES Harcourt Math Florida edition.

By the way if you log on to the www.harcourtschool.com web site you need a name to use as a pass word and if you dont have a book you will never know it....NEWMAN, BENNET, BURTON, MCLEOD, ROBY, SCHNEER, LUCKIE, ANDREWS. Pick one, NEWMAN worked for me....
wavewave

Thanks, this was a big help!:D

#65 2009-12-09 09:55:27

vampire0911

I have the answer,
You see the problem was we were all thinking like adults. The first group was... is "hexagons", all the same shape but different sizes. The second group is "shapes with four sides and four angles". The third group, because they are different they are called "shapes with more than four sides and angles". And the last group are "shapes with more than three sides and angles". This info came straight from the instructor. I hope this help all of us in the future. There are 2 or more correct answers for eace but you have to think in simple terms. See page 319 chapter 18 PLANE SHAPES Harcourt Math Florida edition.

credit goes to post #22 ....just did not want people gicing up before they got to post #22 my daughter has this homework today and it is 12/9/2009  so schools and teachers are still using this. i can scan and post the sheet if someone could explain to me how to do it.

#66 2010-01-19 10:19:52

Azlynn's mama

This is insanity, I'm sorry. I am a college graduate and didn't know how to help my daughter answer these problems. She,too, as the same worksheet. I'm trying to find the text book pages for this but can't online.I'm afraid the answer to he 3rd and 4th group shapes is too bland, I think the teachers want something more specific. They are all polygons as poly meaning many sides. The square is equal on all sides and the parallelogram is 2 groups of equal sides, the hexagon is equal on all sides, the only one not equal at all is the trapezoid. I don't understand the question I'm sorry and my daughter's upset because she said they haven't went over it in class and doesn't understand what to do either.

#67 2010-03-08 16:07:38

dug2828

This has gotten out of hand.  My son came home with the exact same worksheet.  Someone needs to copy this site for the publishers.  IT has now been 4 years and we are still having the same question.  My wife and I enjoyed this site, we got a big laugh that we weren't the only having trouble.  I think I will bookmark this page to see how long these responses go.  Thanks #22.:lol:

#68 2010-04-13 11:13:09

bt3

It sounds like it would be "shapes with 4 or more sides and angles" and shapes with "3 or more sides and angles" because some of the shapes have 4 sides in group 3 and 3 sides in the last group.

Al wrote:

I have the answer,

By the way if you log on to the www.harcourtschool.com web site you need a name to use as a pass word and if you dont have a book you will never know it....NEWMAN, BENNET, BURTON, MCLEOD, ROBY, SCHNEER, LUCKIE, ANDREWS. Pick one, NEWMAN worked for me....
wavewave

#69 2010-05-11 12:06:20

Jason Chin

thank goodness for the internet, i thought i was going to have to retake algebra and geometry to try and figure out what the answer was supposed to be!!!  4 years and counting for this thread i believe!!  thanks again to post #22  smile

#70 2010-11-08 14:25:18

Stuckey00

November 2010 and this worksheet is still alive and ticking.  Thanks to #22

#71 2010-11-11 16:15:41

AlliRae

I love this thread! I'm a 2nd grade teacher and we're starting our unit on plane & solid shapes next week, so I was searching the web for a few new ideas. How funny that I came to this thread... and our curriculum is Harcourt Math!

I don't think I've looked at the worksheet in question, but I'm sure it's coming up. I'll make note to send home extra directions if I send that one home. :-) The standard in GA states that the students will describe & classify plane shapes by number of sides and vertices as well as sizes of angles AND be able to construct/deconstruct shapes and describe the changes. But it's tricky...

#72 2011-01-20 13:49:55

crunktimes.com

Still using it, lol. Thanks

#73 2011-01-20 14:38:03

bobbym
bumpkin

Hi crunktimes;

Welcome to the forum.

#74 2011-02-01 13:34:38

Vairy

Here it is 2011 and post 22 is still the correct answer.. Wow...:D thanks for the answer I thought I was going to go mad getting that answer.. smile

#75 2011-02-01 14:35:51

bobbym
bumpkin

Hi Vairy;

Welcome to the forum!

Board footer